+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ukraine Losses (Allegedly)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ukraine Losses (Allegedly)

UK govt. is giving long range cruise missiles to Ukraine ;

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-th...raine-12878786

Seems incredible, but done without a hint of objection from anywhere in parliament. So effectively a proxy war with Russia...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    UK govt. is giving long range cruise missiles to Ukraine ;

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-th...raine-12878786

Seems incredible, but done without a hint of objection from anywhere in parliament. So effectively a proxy war with Russia...
    £2.2m each apparently , strange allocation of money when the UK is in a recession in a very strange “war” and all we know is information drip fed from Ukrainian propaganda.

Any sign of any proposed peace talks?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    £2.2m each apparently , strange allocation of money when the UK is in a recession in a very strange “war” and all we know is information drip fed from Ukrainian propaganda.

Not until the Americans say so - if ever.

From what I have learned in the last two weeks many ex-USSR states have a mixed relationship with Russia these days. Even some of the dictators of Central Asia, who all attended Putin's May Day March, are twitchy about what is happening in Ukraine, if I understand the situation correctly.
    Just yesterday, here in Dushanbe (Tajikistan) there's was a red and yellow wreath placed at the foot on an ex-Soviet war memorial (which I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, was symbolic of Ukraine).
    As I understand it, these countries seem reticent to strengthen relationship with China for not applying pressure on Putin and there's talk of Turkey (and most of these countries are largely Turkic in origin) filling the vacuum.
    I have also spoken in private to a few individuals (albeit a meaningless sample) of female doctors from Kazakhstan and Kyrgystan (sheer coincidence as I met them in different countries and not their own countries) as well as a young Russian man, who escaped the draft. I have also read that Kazakhstan is benefitting from the influx of young Russian IT experts who are fleeing Russia.
    As you may be aware, Russian ethnics have a considerable presence in these countries for obvious reasons and Russian is very much the lingua france in this region. The female doctors told me that even their Russian-ethnic colleagues are against what Putin has done (although they don't talk about politics too loudly in these countries ruled by despots).
    It seems that Putin has done a lot of short-term and long-term damage to Russia's relationships, in particular to some ex-Soviet states, some of whom are still reliant on Russian energy.
    I have worked in International Relations but I am no expert regarding this region, however. If anyone can put me right or can add to my understanding of the situation here, please steam in.
    Putin, it seems, has weakened Russia's influence on the international scene and he seems to be painting himself into a corner.
    Happy to be educated and corrected, if need be.

I note that members of the Turkish opposition party are complaining about Russian interference in their elections too.

What allocation of money? The money has been paid. These missiles have already been built and have sat in a warehouse for years. They're 20+ year old tech and munitions have a shelf life. Either these missiles get used or degrade to the point they get destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    What allocation of money? The money has been paid. These missiles have already been built and have sat in a warehouse for years. They're 20+ year old tech and munitions have a shelf life. Either these missiles get used or degrade to the point they get destroyed
    Ah that makes it ok then , as they are almost obsolete the west may as well kill a few thousand people in a proxy war and risk prolonging the outcome.

Ah that makes it ok then , as they are almost obsolete the west may as well kill a few thousand people in a proxy war and risk prolonging the outcome.
    That's a separate conversation. But keeping on that train of thought, it could bring the conflict to an end quicker than not supplying them with the missiles

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    That's a separate conversation. But keeping on that train of thought, it could bring the conflict to an end quicker than not supplying them with the missiles
    Unlikely considering Russia has almost unlimited troop numbers and is receiving assistance from a few countries around the world. That said , it’s a very strange conflict with most information coming from Western/ Ukrainian propaganda.

These missiles may not even exist , but good for procurement… but that’s another thread.

Figuratively , imagine a situation where there are 3,000 nuclear weapons in the world , when in reality you would only need 30 or 40, what would be the justification for more and more being produced.

What is the justification ,what’s the breakdown (Labour , raw materials etc ) who benefits. This is just an imaginary situation , but it doesn’t make sense to me when there is so much poverty in the world.

The idea to me , as an outsider looking in , these is more chance of destroying the world not through nuclear but a financial meltdown. This is just a scenario though not fact.

Unlikely considering Russia has almost unlimited troop numbers and is receiving assistance from a few countries around the world. That said , it’s a very strange conflict with most information coming from Western/ Ukrainian propaganda.

These missiles may not even exist , but good for procurement… but that’s another thread.

Figuratively , imagine a situation where there are 3,000 nuclear weapons in the world , when in reality you would only need 30 or 40, what would be the justification for more and more being produced.

What is the justification ,what’s the breakdown (Labour , raw materials etc ) who benefits. This is just an imaginary situation , but it doesn’t make sense to me when there is so much poverty in the world.

The idea to me , as an outsider looking in , these is more chance of destroying the world not through nuclear but a financial meltdown. This is just a scenario though not fact.
    The Duran take on the Storm Shadow long-range missiles