+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joe Allen Retires From Wales

Joe Allen Retires From Wales

Thank God Ramsey has found some form.

Re: Joe Allen Retires From Wales

A good servant but isn't irreplaceable. Always annoyed me a little that he got placed alongside Bale & Ramsey as part of the "holy trinity", he was nowhere near either of them

Big campaign for the likes of Wilson etc now though, time to step up

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    A good servant but isn't irreplaceable. Always annoyed me a little that he got placed alongside Bale & Ramsey as part of the "holy trinity", he was nowhere near either of them

He was brilliant during Euro 16 and was selected for the team of tournament.

He was one of those players who seemed more comfortable at International level than he did in his club career. He made the Euro team of the tournament in 2016. Another who due to age and fitness went out at Qatar on a low but over his career he rarely let Wales down, particularly in tandem with Ramsey.

Maybe no Rambo but one of Wales's better midfielders nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He was brilliant during Euro 16 and was selected for the team of tournament.
    He was brilliant, as was much of that Wales side, but Bale & Ramsey are on another level to the rest. That's nothing to be ashamed of

Like I said, good servant for Wales, certainly one of our better midfielders, much like Bale it's a shame their international careers ended the way they did but an important part of Wales' best era

Really, who replaces him?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Massive thanks to Joe, has put in some superb performances over the years for Wales.

He is also past his best and I'm glad that he has recognised that. Part of me now hopes Ramsey calls it a day, so that the euro qualifiers can be a rebuild and a focus on the younger players

It obviously depends on the system, I imagine Harry Wilson will be up there, Ethan Ampadu has shown he's more than good enough to play in midfield at international level, we could well see a change in shape that will see him anchoring the midfield and providing the ball to more attacking midfielders ahead of him. There's young Jordan James at Birmingham who will certainly make the next squad. Dylan Levitt has clear ability and has been earning good reviews at Dundee United despite their struggles, that experience should help him. You also have Oli Cooper at Swansea who will be in the next squad. There's even outside shouts like Tom Lowery at Pompey or even Charlie Savage over the next few years.

They aren't the players they were which will make this transition easier than it could have been. Had they retired in, say, 2018 or 2020 it would have been much tougher. Instead we have a selection of players in their mid-20s who have matured alongside players like Bale, Allen etc and have plenty of international (and tournament) experience as well as a younger generation like James, Luke Harris etc coming through

It obviously depends on the system, I imagine Harry Wilson will be up there, Ethan Ampadu has shown he's more than good enough to play in midfield at international level, we could well see a change in shape that will see him anchoring the midfield and providing the ball to more attacking midfielders ahead of him. There's young Jordan James at Birmingham who will certainly make the next squad. Dylan Levitt has clear ability and has been earning good reviews at Dundee United despite their struggles, that experience should help him. You also have Oli Cooper at Swansea who will be in the next squad. There's even outside shouts like Tom Lowery at Pompey or even Charlie Savage over the next few years.

They aren't the players they were which will make this transition easier than it could have been. Had they retired in, say, 2018 or 2020 it would have been much tougher. Instead we have a selection of players in their mid-20s who have matured alongside players like Bale, Allen etc and have plenty of international (and tournament) experience as well as a younger generation like James, Luke Harris etc coming through
    We will have a more balanced midfield in a few years time with greater depth. Also interesting to see Neco Williams play left midfield against Leeds and put in a good performance.

Anyone think that Ben Davies might do a job in there ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Anyone think that Ben Davies might do a job in there ?
    Play your best players (in this case player, and by some way), in their best positions.

Great player for Wales, though. Made us tick, and was really important. The other two were stars but he was the next best, him and Ledley knitted it all together. If that 2016 side had a Bellamy or a Hartson, we'd have had a hell of a side.

Would love him in our midfield right now

Got to agree, though his hard work did let the other 2 get forward safe in the knowledge that he was behind them to cover

always gave his all

Wilson won’t do it. He’s overrated.

I'm not convinced. Allen will be irreplaceable.

We've been weak in midfield for a while, those youngsters mentioned, until i see them properly and over time i have no idea how good they are.
    Be interesting to see how it develops but I think we've been sliding since Euro 22 (despite qualifying for the WC). Maybe without Bale we do adapt a better system to fit what we have. Fingers crossed as i really fancy a week in Germany for the next euro tournament.

Him, Johnny and Gunter should never have gone to the World Cup.

Amps must be fav to do the job

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Him, Johnny and Gunter should never have gone to the World Cup.
    Allen should have. You have a 26 man squad, it was worth taking a gamble on someone that was still our best actual CM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Would love him in our midfield right now
    100%

I have always thought of Allen and Wilson as completely different players playing in completely different positions….

I thought Joe Allen was fantastic for Wales for 10 years. The number of times I gave him MoM was incredible. The heart of the team and was a huge part of our success. Gave bale and Rambo the chance to play. For me he will be sorely missed.

Wales will go through a difficult period for along time in my opinion - no real quality and no leaders - exceeded expectations recently