+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fawlty Towers to return

Re: Fawlty Towers to return

The new FT might be alright but its biggest issue will be coming up against 50 year aura that's built up around it.

I would put Only Fools and Horses in the same bracket as "til death us do part" or "Reggie Perrin".
    Decent story lines easy watching, laughter occasionally but dated.

FT was not only the best situation comedy of its time it has also stood the test of time and is still brilliant.

It's a risk to try and continue from where they left off, In sickness and in Health was an example of not living up to the hype, just hope the writing of this new series is as good as the originals.

John Cleese is a daft old daily mail racist these days

It will flop

Last of the summer wine ...another load of old cobblers

Only fools and horses was tripe , canned laughter

Fawlty Towers was immense for its time

Just 12 episodes ?

Same as The Office

Series after Series of the same old stuff

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Indeed, but I think describing my message as an "absolute joke" was somewhat harsh.

However, life is too short and there are far too many other things to be concerned about.

I am crawling back under my rock.
    Ironic, you don’t think Fawlty Towers could be made today because people would complain and yet apparently you’re the wetwipe

I never got Monty Python?

You’ll have to go a long way, to beat this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=niHr5jXEpNE

Before my time but I loved it in the way I didn't like much of the stuff my Dad used to like. Obviously some of the tone and fashions change but I actually think it's pretty timeless often slapstick comedy.

Huge risk to bring it back but will be interesting.

The guardian have already decided to make a culture war issue of it of course but Im certain there will be real interest in it when it comes out.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ea-john-cleese

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    John Cleese and his daughter have agreed to make a new series of Fawlty Towers to be made by Castle Rock Entertainment, this time set in a boutique hotel.

Not sure that they will be able to match the original but we shall see.
    What a woke this will be

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I never got Monty Python?
    Is that really a question?

Organ Morgan.jpeg

Trying to think of what the best attempt at a comedy reboot would be:

I've not seen much of them, but I think the Red Dwarf reboot is generally quite well received by red dwarf fans - although not as beloved as the original series, and that has the whole sci-fi angle as well, which gives it a lot more opportunity to take it in new directions.

Arrested development was an incredible series, that didn't get anywhere near enough recognition, the reboot they did on netflix was kinda similar, just missing something. I loved the original series, I don't think I even watched the netflix one until the end.

I supose likely lads / whatever happened to the likely lads is probably a good example of a successful reboot - any others?

Not a question but a statement
    Monty Python wasn’t funny but ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Trying to think of what the best attempt at a comedy reboot would be:

I've not seen much of them, but I think the Red Dwarf reboot is generally quite well received by red dwarf fans - although not as beloved as the original series, and that has the whole sci-fi angle as well, which gives it a lot more opportunity to take it in new directions.

Arrested development was an incredible series, that didn't get anywhere near enough recognition, the reboot they did on netflix was kinda similar, just missing something. I loved the original series, I don't think I even watched the netflix one until the end.

I supose likely lads / whatever happened to the likely lads is probably a good example of a successful reboot - any others?
    Men behaving badly rebooted after a bad first series and improved a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Before my time but I loved it in the way I didn't like much of the stuff my Dad used to like. Obviously some of the tone and fashions change but I actually think it's pretty timeless often slapstick comedy.

Huge risk to bring it back but will be interesting.

The guardian have already decided to make a culture war issue of it of course but Im certain there will be real interest in it when it comes out.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ea-john-cleese
    You would say it's the Grauniad's fault.

It has a point and one I said this morning to Mrs HaB before even being aware of the article.

What has Cleese done in comedy in the last 30 years? Very little. What do we know of Cleese in recent years other than his bizarre, out of touch rants on Twitter and in the media? Is he still capable of writing a sitcom? The feat must be that it turns out like his out of touch rants and ends up only appealing to right wing men over 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You would say it's the Grauniad's fault.

It has a point and one I said this morning to Mrs HaB before even being aware of the article.

What has Cleese done in comedy in the last 30 years? Very little. What do we know of Cleese in recent years other than his bizarre, out of touch rants on Twitter and in the media? Is he still capable of writing a sitcom? The feat must be that it turns out like his out of touch rants and ends up only appealing to right wing men over 50.
    Just had a look on his twitter, and it seems a lot of the content on there these days is being very critical of the current tory government - I think that rather than Cleese having some sort of road to damascus conversion into a woke lefty it just goes to show the scale of the problem facing the Tories today.
    If even someone like Cleese thinks they're all liars, incompetents and charlatans then they are going to get absolutely destroyed at the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Is that really a question?

Organ Morgan.jpeg
    Rhetorical?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think it was predictable and unsophisticated pleb fodder of the highest order.
    I never rated it, Although there was a hidden story within the character and script writing. Del Boy wouldn't have been a nice person, inadequate, dishonest, deluded, selfish etc. I think that Sullivan hinted at that when he was interviewed about the show. The audience were laughing at him, not with him, so for me, there was a tragic element to the show, he basically ****ed everything up he touched. I can see how people found it funny though, and i think that saying that the people who watched it were likely 'Plebs' is a bit unfair, and slightly superior if you don't mind me saying, although i an on your hymn sheet. Stewart Lee said it better than all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I never rated it, Although there was a hidden story within the character and script writing. Del Boy wouldn't have been a nice person, inadequate, dishonest, deluded, selfish etc. I think that Sullivan hinted at that when he was interviewed about the show. The audience were laughing at him, not with him, so for me, there was a tragic element to the show, he basically ****ed everything up he touched. I can see how people found it funny though, and i think that saying that the people who watched it were likely 'Plebs' is a bit unfair, and slightly superior if you don't mind me saying, although i an on your hymn sheet. Stewart Lee said it better than all of us.
    Think the Del Boycharacter owed a lot of its popularity to David Jason’s portrayal. I’ve said before on here that I always rated Minder a much better watch thanOnly Fools and Horses.

As for Fawlty Towers, it’s the best comedy series of my lifetime and I hope this remake comes to nothing because it will damage the show’s legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think the Del Boycharacter owed a lot of its popularity to David Jason’s portrayal. I’ve said before on here that I always rated Minder a much better watch thanOnly Fools and Horses.

As for Fawlty Towers, it’s the best comedy series of my lifetime and I hope this remake comes to nothing because it will damage the show’s legacy.
    Porridge and Minder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Porridge was surreal and very well written

Only Fools And Horses was dreadful , bargain basement humour

One Foot In The Grave same sort of dirge

Citizen Khan was the recent equivalent of the BBC comedy department running out of fuel

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Porridge was surreal and very well written

Only Fools And Horses was dreadful , bargain basement humour

One Foot In The Grave same sort of dirge

Citizen Khan was the recent equivalent of the BBC comedy department running out of fuel
    That take on Only Fools and Horses is probably the worst (in my opinion) I've ever witnessed.

How can you not like it?

I loved the little mentioned Early Doors.
    Great scripts and acting.
    Fawlty Towers was brilliant at the time and I've rewatched it loads of times but I think a reboot will spoil its legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I loved the little mentioned Early Doors.
    Great scripts and acting.
    Fawlty Towers was brilliant at the time and I've rewatched it loads of times but I think a reboot will spoil its legacy.
    Early Doors is great.

If you've spent a fair bit of time in your local you can relate to most of the characters that you've probably had in your pub at one time or another. Very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    That take on Only Fools and Horses is probably the worst (in my opinion) I've ever witnessed.

How can you not like it?
    I thought it was terrible

Crap humour like are you being served etc

I don't think it was well written or well acted I thought del boy was grating

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Early Doors is great.

If you've spent a fair bit of time in your local you can relate to most of the characters that you've probably had in your pub at one time or another. Very underrated.
    I used to tune into that for Susan Cookson

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Just had a look on his twitter, and it seems a lot of the content on there these days is being very critical of the current tory government - I think that rather than Cleese having some sort of road to damascus conversion into a woke lefty it just goes to show the scale of the problem facing the Tories today.
    If even someone like Cleese thinks they're all liars, incompetents and charlatans then they are going to get absolutely destroyed at the next election.
    When a party led by Keir Hardie, a man who was banned from taking part in the "Boring Lectures" for being too boring, is polling around half the vote in opinion polls, you know how much this government has imploded.