+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fawlty Towers to return

Re: Fawlty Towers to return

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Singer Judith Durham of The Seekers fame, who recently died, was born Judith Cock. Actress Diana Dors was Diana Fluck.

Actors Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee were originally Chan Kong-sang and Li Jun Fan.

Our Vinnie came into the world as Tan Chee Yioun. When he started to prefix it with
    Vincent I've been unable to discover.

It seems those of Chinese ethnicity have their family name first.
    After more -ing.

In addition to Vincent Tan being Tan Chee Yioun, Mehmet Dalman is Mehmet Sükrü and Ken Choo is Choo Ken-Yi.

Someone who hasn't adopted a business professional stage name is manager Sabri Lamouchi who really is Sabri Lamouchi.

Fans who have speculated he might be a patron of Ton Tan, Tonyrefail's premier sunbed centre, where Rhondda residents who desire a darker skin complexion head to, are likely wrong because French-born Lamouchi is of African parentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    After more -ing.

In addition to Vincent Tan being Tan Chee Yioun, Mehmet Dalman is Mehmet Sükrü and Ken Choo is Choo Ken-Yi.

Someone who hasn't adopted a business professional stage name is manager Sabri Lamouchi who really is Sabri Lamouchi.

Fans who have speculated he might be a patron of Ton Tan, Tonyrefail's premier sunbed centre, where Rhondda residents who desire a darker skin complexion head to, are likely wrong because French-born Lamouchi is of African parentage.
    It's quite common for Asian people of the family name:given name system to westernise their name to more easily navigate the cross-cultural interactions. To me, it's a pretty big step. I doubt many westerners do it the other way.

It also means people are less likely to take the piss out of them, and given some of your comments in the past, I'd guess you're one of those people.

It should be pretty obvious why a french man hasn't done this.

I think it's quite sad to see. Was a really great series, but off in its prime to avoid going 'stale'. That decision to stop at 12 has looked genius when compared to some more recent shows that have gone downhill and died a slow death. Now it's being rebooted seemingly as a protest against cancel culture. The remake is also missing half the original writing team, with Connie Booth playing no part, she also played a fantastically acted role in the original that will be hard to replace

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's quite common for Asian people of the family name:given name system to westernise their name to more easily navigate the cross-cultural interactions. To me, it's a pretty big step. I doubt many westerners do it the other way.

It also means people are less likely to take the piss out of them, and given some of your comments in the past, I'd guess you're one of those people.

It should be pretty obvious why a french man hasn't done this.
    I don't think all Asian people who adopt a "western" name do so for easier cross-cultural interactions, even if that's how it started.

My wife and her friends will mostly call each other by their "western" nicknames, and keep their full Chinese name for official documents etc.
    She even calls her son by his western name, unless he's really being told off, in which case the full name will come out.

On the tin it said Fawlty Towers, when i opened it up it was asian fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think all Asian people who adopt a "western" name do so for easier cross-cultural interactions, even if that's how it started.

My wife and her friends will mostly call each other by their "western" nicknames, and keep their full Chinese name for official documents etc.
    She even calls her son by his western name, unless he's really being told off, in which case the full name will come out.
    A fella by me , now sadly deceased was of Indian origin via Uganda

His English was fantastic but if he was off on one with anyone he would revert to hindi especially if his children were playing up

😂