+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darts

Darts

Tan Out sign behind the players walking on.

It isn't me.

Re: Darts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

It isn't me.
    A few years back my Keep Cardiff Blue sign was very prominent 🙂

Top darts from Gerwyn.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

It isn't me.
    I forgot it was on. Nice to see Manley hit a 161.

I am more interested in the tan out sign

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am more interested in the tan out sign
    Topless darts

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Topless darts
    Roehampton

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I forgot it was on. Nice to see Manley hit a 161.
    Haha, I feckin Love this 😀

You profess to be a "proper" darts fan and don't bother to tune in to the main event of the year in Cardiff.

You offer zero credence to the man you have publicly ridiculed for so long, the Great Gerwen "Gezzy" Price, after he wins the night

I doubt very much you were anywhere near the electric atmosphere tonight unlike many others.
    If you were you'd have scuttled off well before the Great Gezzy stuck two fingers up to you amd the rest of the Sky Broadcastimg company.

Bravo Gezzy 👏 👏 👏

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I doubt very much you were anywhere near the electric atmosphere tonight unlike many others. If you were you'd have scuttled off well before the Great Gezzy stuck two fingers up to you and the rest of the Sky Broadcasting company.
    Why would Gerwyn Price stick two fingers up to Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Haha, I feckin Love this 😀

You profess to be a "proper" darts fan and don't bother to tune in to the main event of the year in Cardiff.

You offer zero credence to the man you have publicly ridiculed for so long, the Great Gerwen "Gezzy" Price, after he wins the night

I doubt very much you were anywhere near the electric atmosphere tonight unlike many others.
    If you were you'd have scuttled off well before the Great Gezzy stuck two fingers up to you amd the rest of the Sky Broadcastimg company.

Bravo Gezzy 👏 👏 👏
    I was working last night and got home at about 10pm. I quite enjoyed the World Seniors last year and my first thought was to see what was happening there.

I generally work a Thursday evening anyway and so the Premier League isn't something I've ever really been bothered with, apart from finals night. Any interest I've had in it has been fleeting. I much prefer the proper tournaments and would even rather watch World Series or Euro Tour stuff on ITV4.

But if you'd rather think I snubbed it because Price won it, then roger yourself away with that. Until this thread appeared I hadn't even realised it was on. In fact, I almost asked why a Tan Out sign was at the Circus Tavern as it seemed a bit odd.

Macadder 1
    Eric 0

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Macadder 1
    Eric 0
    Stop being a shit stirrer.

Howmuch money can these players make now? I'm not a big fan, but read about darts from tome to time, and they seem to play in front of very large crowds, plus the TV Money and all that, sponsorship.

Gerwyn Price has apparently won approximately £1.2 million in prize money during the last two years.

The prize money collected by Michael Smith for winning the recent World Championship was £500,000.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Gerwyn Price has apparently won approximately £1.2 million in prize money during the last two years.

The prize money collected by Michael Smith for winning the recent World Championship was £500,000.
    I was listening to Paul Nicholson talking about this. The prize money they get and they actually have to spend is very different, once tax and agents fees are taken into account. Apparently agents fees are somewhere in the region of 20%.

I was listening to Paul Nicholson talking about this. The prize money they get and they actually have to spend is very different, once tax and agents fees are taken into account. Apparently agents fees are somewhere in the region of 20%.
    Outside of the seeds/tour card holders they have to pay their own expenses as well. Basically anyone outside of the top 60 is making little or no money

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Outside of the seeds/tour card holders they have to pay their own expenses as well. Basically anyone outside of the top 60 is making little or no money
    I've heard of players who are struggling in the rankings going into Players' Championship events needing to do well to pay the mortgage. That's pressure, needing to win games just to keep a roof over your head.

Darts isn't a sport ffs.
    Eating a load of food fast isn't a sport.
    Juggling isn't a sport

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Darts isn't a sport ffs.
    Eating a load of food fast isn't a sport.
    Juggling isn't a sport
    I don't think it's a sport

What physical conditioning like strength , power , speed and flexibility do these players have ?

It's a pub pastime turned into great TV

And it is great tv

And like snooker it's highly skilled

It's like fishing

But it's not a sport , surely not ?

I don't think it's a sport

What physical conditioning like strength , power , speed and flexibility do these players have ?

It's a pub pastime turned into great TV

And it is great tv

And like snooker it's highly skilled

It's like fishing

But it's not a sport , surely not ?
    What about stuff like weightlifting? No skill involved at all, just pure strength.

Before you can debate what constitutes a sport you need to define what a sport is. The Oxford dictionary suggests "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment". Darts requires a small amount of physical exertion, no less than a weightlifter requires a small amount of skill. I'd argue darts is more entertaining than weightlifting.

What about stuff like weightlifting? No skill involved at all, just pure strength.

Before you can debate what constitutes a sport you need to define what a sport is. The Oxford dictionary suggests "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment". Darts requires a small amount of physical exertion, no less than a weightlifter requires a small amount of skill. I'd argue darts is more entertaining than weightlifting.
    Whilst weightlifting is incredibly tedious the people involved have strength , power , flexibility etc

Apart from one or two the vast majority of darts players exhibit little in the way of athletic physiques

In fact some of them are obese

From time to time in football , rugby , athletics , cricket , etc you might see an out of shape competitor but it's very rare

The reason why you see overweight darts players , snooker players and fisherman is because you don't have to be very fit , if at all , to compete

Whilst weightlifting is incredibly tedious the people involved have strength , power , flexibility etc

Apart from one or two the vast majority of darts players exhibit little in the way of athletic physiques

In fact some of them are obese

From time to time in football , rugby , athletics , cricket , etc you might see an out of shape competitor but it's very rare

The reason why you see overweight darts players , snooker players and fisherman is because you don't have to be very fit , if at all , to compete
    I'm talking about the OED definition of a sport. Requires physical exertion and skill.

Weightlifting involves very little skill. Darts involves very little physical exertion. I couldn't give a rat's arse about the physical condition of a competitor as that doesn't matter according to the OED. So, using the OED definition, not Sludge's own opinion, what's the difference?

I'm talking about the OED definition of a sport. Requires physical exertion and skill.

Weightlifting involves very little skill. Darts involves very little physical exertion. I couldn't give a rat's arse about the physical condition of a competitor as that doesn't matter according to the OED. So, using the OED definition, not Sludge's own opinion, what's the difference?
    There is plenty of skill involved in using ones muscles to lift a heavy barbell

In fact I would argue that weightlifting involves more skill than darts

So it's double top really

There is plenty of skill involved in using ones muscles to lift a heavy barbell

In fact I would argue that weightlifting involves more skill than darts

So it's double top really
    Rubbish. It's not skill. It's strength.