+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal pronouns in the workplace

Personal pronouns in the workplace

Having retired just over year and a half ago (and having only worked in the MoD for the previous few decades) I have a question about the use of personal pronouns in the workplace. Just before I left my job, my employer encouraged employees to insert their chosen personal pronouns in the straplines of their emails - and I wonder if anyone on here is aware of any disciplinary measures they have experienced or know of regarding certain colleagues not using them for the individuals concerned.

I don't have an agenda regarding this matter, as such, although referring to an individual as 'they' would not come easy.

Re: Personal pronouns in the workplace

SHE / IT

I’ll admit this is something I don’t know enough about. I supported an old member of one of my teams with their transition from male to female but still don’t know enough.

As with everything in life I think a lot of education and conversation needs to take place. Too many dismiss these feelings as a “fad”, I’m sure the same was said of gay people back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Having retired just over year and a half ago (and having only worked in the MoD for the previous few decades) I have a question about the use of personal pronouns in the workplace. Just before I left my job, my employer encouraged employees to insert their chosen personal pronouns in the straplines of their emails - and I wonder if anyone on here is aware of any disciplinary measures they have experienced or know of regarding certain colleagues not using them for the individuals concerned.

I don't have an agenda regarding this matter, as such, although referring to an individual as 'they' would not come easy.
    We had a related discussion the other day. "They" just sounds wrong for an individual. If someone doesn't want to be a "he/him" or a "she/her" the only option left is "it".

I'm not bothered on people's personal choices and it makes no difference to me who someone is or becomes, man to woman woman to man, gay, lesbian, masturbates over robots, I literally don't care

But please don't shout at me if I happen to get the pronoun correct. I'm not doing it out of ignorance, as I said you are what you are and it's your business, but accept that not everyone is going to get things right and don't throw a hissy fit when people naturally do get it wrong.

Not sure if that's classed as a rant,but you have my word it's not one

The Church of England are considering the use of gender neutral terms for God. Maybe you could ask them what they'd do if someone didn't start the 'Lords' Prayer 'Our Parent, who art in Heaven...'?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I'm not bothered on people's personal choices and it makes no difference to me who someone is or becomes, man to woman woman to man, gay, lesbian, masturbates over robots, I literally don't care

But please don't shout at me if I happen to get the pronoun correct. I'm not doing it out of ignorance, as I said you are what you are and it's your business, but accept that not everyone is going to get things right and don't throw a hissy fit when people naturally do get it wrong.

Please God tell me that ‘masturbates over robots’ was just something daft that you plucked out of thin air.

I have a " they " in my girls team, " they " have been a " they " for a while now, I used to struggle to remember ( I really did ), but after a while it becomes 2nd nature, as it happens as a " she ", " they " were one of my daughters best mates ( still are ), when we dont have a game I often bring them ( my daughter and her friend ) up to see city play

to be fair to " them ", who I explained to " them " that I would make mistakes and it wasnt me taking the pee, " they " said " I know Matt, you will try your best " " they " were very grown up about it and accepting that I would make mistakes, its was no drama when I did, still isnt, as occasionally I forget and get it wrong, " they " made the choice and are being very grown up about it when people do Make mistakes

when I call in the team, I have changed it from " in you come girls " to " come on in team " just to try and be respectful, as it happens " they " said to me " I still play for a girls team, so its ok to shout as you normally did " once again, showing a certain acceptance and maturity about the situation

When writing a match report, I found it tricky with them and they, but as you have seen above, I just use " they " ( for the person ) and they for the group, the Quotation mark has helped in that aspect

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Please God tell me that ‘masturbates over robots’ was just something daft that you plucked out of thin air.
    Yes

First thing that popped in my head

I agree with the getting it wrong. Unless someone is being blatantly antagonistic. The lady on my team was brilliant about it it be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I agree with the getting it wrong. Unless someone is being blatantly antagonistic. The lady on my team was brilliant about it it be fair.
    Exactly mate, it's all new and it'll take time

Am I reading this correctly. Politeness dictates you have to refer to someone how they wish to be addressed?

I suppose that would extend to a crossdressing bloke who's 6' 4" and has a beard down to his knees whose name is Martin but identifies as Martina on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays?

What a load of bollox!

It’s interesting observing this from afar, no such thing exists here, not even a consideration for discussion. I understand that the opinion will be that Poland is decades behind the UK but that’s the way it is.

It’s similar with regards to racism, the perception is very different

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Am I reading this correctly. Politeness dictates you have to refer to someone how they wish to be addressed?

I suppose that would extend to a crossdressing bloke who's 6' 4" and has a beard down to his knees whose name is Martin but identifies as Martina on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays?

What a load of bollox!
    unless they are castrated? then there are no bollox

What a load of bollox!

without coming across as all PC and snowflakey ( and I never thought I would type that on here about myself ) it really doesnt Hurt you to try and be obliging to Martin / Martina

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    without coming across as all PC and snowflakey ( and I never thought I would type that on here about myself ) it really doesnt Hurt you to try and be obliging to Martin / Martina
    Nothing snowflakey about empathy mate. The world needs more of it

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s interesting observing this from afar, no such thing exists here, not even a consideration for discussion. I understand that the opinion will be that Poland is decades behind the UK but that’s the way it is.

It’s similar with regards to racism, the perception is very different
    I know that it is also being addressed linguistically in France, Germany and Spain.

What a load of bollox!
    Surely it's up to the person being addressed how they wish to be addressed? If everyone adhered to that simple bit of common decency we'd have no problems.

I'm sure that if I addressed you as a prejudiced old cock face you'd not be too happy, which is why I never would never refer to you as that.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Absolutely, and this is what I cannot understand. Some people get all annoyed at not being able to address someone as they want because that person doesn't want it. Weird.

What I don’t get is why anyone would want to be referred to as it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apart from that cousin in the Addams Family.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Isn't it the correct way though if you stick to the rules of the English language?

Calling a single person they, they is plural isn't it?

I know it doesn't sound nice and I understand not wishing to be called it, but it is the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely it's up to the person being addressed how they wish to be addressed? If everyone adhered to that simple bit of common decency we'd have no problems.

I'm sure that if I addressed you as a prejudiced old cock face you'd not be too happy, which is why I never would never refer to you as that.
    You may be okay to go along with an obvious pretence rather than risk causing offence, but some of us retain a backbone.

Isn't it the correct way though if you stick to the rules of the English language?

I know it doesn't sound nice and I understand not wishing to be called it, but it is the right word.
    I take your point, but I’ll always think calling a person it is either an insult, a joke or a mixture of both.

There is a case when 'they' has been traditionally and correctly used as a singular (and on lieu of "he or she" e.g. "Regarding the person who borrowed the spare laptop, would they please return it as soon as possible."