+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ford to cut 1 in 5 jobs in the UK

Ford to cut 1 in 5 jobs in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64629072

Bridgend would have never survived anyway and is a worry for things to come, particularly for the automotive sector

Re: Ford to cut 1 in 5 jobs in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Bridgend would have never survived anyway and is a worry for things to come, particularly for the automotive sector
    It’s been struggling for years but without batteries being made in the uk it’ll probably get wiped out altogether in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    It’s been struggling for years but without batteries being made in the uk it’ll probably get wiped out altogether in the years to come.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/br...-hague-2092428

I can't remember where I saw it but basically the amount of cars produced in the UK has collapsed since 2016, its a total mystery as to why..

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

The UK car industry has been one of assembling things for many years

I would imagine the move to electric cars has completely killed it ?

The second hand car business is like hot cakes apparently

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The UK car industry has been one of assembling things for many years

I would imagine the move to electric cars has completely killed it ?

The second hand car business is like hot cakes apparently
    New car sales dropped off a cliff in recent years, for obvious reasons, and many of those who would have bought new vehicles therefore didn't release their existing vehicles into the used car pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I can't remember where I saw it but basically the amount of cars produced in the UK has collapsed since 2016, its a total mystery as to why..
    I'll help you. I'm guessing you saw it on a pro-EU website that started their data in 2016, misunderstands correlation and causation and ignored data from other countries such as Germany and France that have basically seen identical declines.

Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    New car sales dropped off a cliff in recent years, for obvious reasons, and many of those who would have bought new vehicles therefore didn't release their existing vehicles into the used car pool.
    I have a ten year old Ford c max

55 k on the clock

Petrol

Mechanic reckons it will easily run for another 10 years

I won't be changing it

There’s a global shortage of Semi Conductors
    That’s why the brand new car sales market has slumped and the second hand car market has seen a massive increase

I ran my 15 plate for three years and sold it for two thousand more than I bought it for - nuts

That’s why the likes of previously unknown car sellers whom we hadn’t heard of are at the moment doing so well
    Cazoo/Motorway/Cinch/Webuyanycar etc

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'll help you. I'm guessing you saw it on a pro-EU website that started their data in 2016, misunderstands correlation and causation and ignored data from other countries such as Germany and France that have basically seen identical declines.

Am I right?
    I’d be interested to see the data that basically shows an identical decline

This goes up to 2021
    https://www.acea.auto/figure/eu-pass...ar-production/

Germany made 5.5m cars in 2016
    In 2021 it was 2.8m. a 47% decline

France made 1.6m in 2016
    In 2021 it was 800,000. A 46% decline

Italy made 728,000 in 2016
    In 2021 it was 432,000. A 43% decline

UK made 1.7m in 2016
    In 2021 it was 859,000. A 49% decline.

Change the parameters slightly (compare 2018 with 2021 for example) and the figures shift slightly, ie France's decline exceeds ours.

EU generally is down but there seems to be a shift from the big countries above to other countries like Portugal and Romania.

Worldwide there seems to have been a decisive shift since Covid and a decline in many countries since around 2015/2016/2017.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country...car-production

Good news? Not really (unless you want to see less cars being made for environmental reasons in which case, fair enough) but when the four largest economies in Europe are all seeing pretty much the same declines it does rather suggest that the cause is probably more complex than what is it implied by Doucas.

And if we care about these jobs and the UK automotive sector then I would say getting to the crux of the issue is key

Recorded big drop in sales qtr 4 last year .

Ford is no longer a go to car for many they are dated .

Far east markets are the new kings.

Not Brexts fault.

First Team

This goes up to 2021

France made 1.6m in 2016

UK made 1.7m in 2016

Change the parameters slightly (compare 2018 with 2021 for example) and the figures shift slightly, ie France's decline exceeds ours.

EU generally is down but there seems to be a shift from the big countries above to other countries like Portugal and Romania.

Worldwide there seems to have been a decisive shift since Covid and a decline in many countries since around 2015/2016/2017.

Good news? Not really (unless you want to see less cars being made for environmental reasons in which case, fair enough) but when the four largest economies in Europe are all seeing pretty much the same declines it does rather suggest that the cause is probably more complex than what is it implied by Doucas.

And if we care about these jobs and the UK automotive sector then I would say getting to the crux of the issue is key
    The crux is Brexit as anyone with a modicum of intelligence would admit.

Jimbo, simple question - when did the decline in UK car production begin? Here's the answer for you: https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/manufacturing/

Also, note the biggest export market for UK cars? Yes, folks it's currently 53% to the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not Brexts fault.
    It's a Brexit dividend

I have a ten year old Ford c max

55 k on the clock

Petrol

Mechanic reckons it will easily run for another 10 years

I won't be changing it
    I'm not driving a Mini Metro, Sludge!

This goes up to 2021

France made 1.6m in 2016

UK made 1.7m in 2016

Even just going on those figures they aren’t a basically identical decline. The uk has declined more than them all. It’s hard to then not put two and two together

I’m not one for saying brexit is the fault of everything and clearly there’s a similar trend, but it has made a bad situation worse. It’s certainly not going to get better in the automotive sector anytime soon because of Brexit. Also important to remember there’s plenty not even in that data yet eg Honda

The pandemic was presumably a leveller over recent years? It all seems to be about electric cars and huge battery producing factories moving forwards and as things stand it appears the scale of investment in the EU will dwarf the UK.

I'm the biggest advocate of remain on here, but you can't blame the falling car market on that as much as we want to.

The US government are pumping hundreds of billions into grants for manufacturers to open new facilities in the USA. We are seeing a paradigm shift and unless the EU/UK follow suit, business will locate where they will make most money.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The pandemic was presumably a leveller over recent years? It all seems to be about electric cars and huge battery producing factories moving forwards and as things stand it appears the scale of investment in the EU will dwarf the UK.
    No.

The move is towards the USA, we are seeing a shift in manufacturing bases.

Quote Originally Posted by waynekerr55 View Post
    I'm not driving a Mini Metro, Sludge!
    You can get a bus through there you cnut !

The pandemic and not brexit has had the biggest effect on the industry in this country.
    It's hastened company's moves to electric vehicles, and our government is late to the party in offerimg support and subsidies to attract the investment here. Hopefully Ford investing in the US because of the financial help offered there, will wake Westminster up into something similar.

The comments about the automotive industry are interesting, after several years of decline our order books are up 25% in Q1 and 50% from July. Predominately our German customers.

Of course thanks to Brexit, all of the manufacturing is here in Poland rather than the UK

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    I'm the biggest advocate of remain on here, but you can't blame the falling car market on that as much as we want to.

The US government are pumping hundreds of billions into grants for manufacturers to open new facilities in the USA. We are seeing a paradigm shift and unless the EU/UK follow suit, business will locate where they will make most money.
    Biden's push to re-shore US manufacturing post dates Brexit by at least 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Biden's push to re-shore US manufacturing post dates Brexit by at least 4 years.
    Do you accept Ford leaving the UK is nothing to do with Brexit and is part of a wider move to shift US car manufacturing back to the USA?

You can get a bus through there you cnut !
    They've reached it you fool!