+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ford to cut 1 in 5 jobs in the UK

International

Re: Ford to cut 1 in 5 jobs in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    my point is that this particular issue we are discussing is nothing to do with Brexit.

Ford are making more jobs redundant in Germany than the UK.

This particular issue is nothing to do with Brexit no matter how you want to dress it up
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    I'm the biggest advocate of remain on here, but you can't blame the falling car market on that as much as we want to.

The US government are pumping hundreds of billions into grants for manufacturers to open new facilities in the USA. We are seeing a paradigm shift and unless the EU/UK follow suit, business will locate where they will make most money.
    its a massive investment ( $11 Billion ) and the US really are backing the EV movement now, the biggest site will be 6 square miles in size

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    This guy doesn’t think much of Boris during Covid either

https://twitter.com/lozzafox/status/...oU1PMa2q-bKFXA
    He's got a point. My feeling is Covid and lockdown exacerbated the already prevailing issues of lack of mental health services, NHS waiting lists, cost of living crisis and tanking an already fragile economy. Still the government had a handle on all them issues and were doing great addressing them!

Whether or not leaving Covid run rampant through the UK and increasing the amount of Covid deaths seems incredibly callous? It was Boris Johnson's initial preference mind.

The rules were absurd although the majority managed to abide by them. I'll assume they managed it for the greater good? Obviously, Downing Street experienced difficulties in sticking to social distancing. Surprisingly, as all their focus was on Covid.

That lad in the clip still uses a waanking sock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    He's got a point. My feeling is Covid and lockdown exacerbated the already prevailing issues of lack of mental health services, NHS waiting lists, cost of living crisis and tanking an already fragile economy. Still the government had a handle on all them issues and were doing great addressing them!

Whether or not leaving Covid run rampant through the UK and increasing the amount of Covid deaths seems incredibly callous? It was Boris Johnson's initial preference mind.

The rules were absurd although the majority managed to abide by them. I'll assume they managed it for the greater good? Obviously, Downing Street experienced difficulties in sticking to social distancing. Surprisingly, as all their focus was on Covid.

That lad in the clip still uses a waanking sock.
    That lad in the clip still uses a waanking sock.- irrelevant though he’s entitled to vote , and the women s******ing behind are a lot older than him as well but are acting very very childishly.

The WAG are proposing to lower the voting age to 16 as well

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Remainers scuppered a good deal, Dominic Grieve, Yvette Cooper, and the rest were in cahoots with the EU to try and stop Brexit however they could and let the EU know what to expect and negotiate as bad a deal as they could to try and stop the wishes of the Country.

It's a bad deal, remainers have got their wish to leave the EU without all the benefits we should have been getting, they screwed us over, and we'll just have to get on with it.
    Ah its the remainers fault Brexit has been a disaster.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

At the end of the day the country that had the loosest restrictions in Europe (Sweden) did much better than many who did far harsher restrictions.

There's was a balance to be had and we need to remember what was being clamoured for at the time. My opinion looking back is that most countries handled this badly in the end. After the initial first wave, the focus should have been on protecting the vulnerable and getting society back to normal asap. The long term consequences on many individuals and (in my opinion) the general cohesiveness of society are severe and long term. Specific individual circumstances aside I'm not sure I really know anyone who is happier in a post covid world than before it, and if anyone is it is those in bigger houses in wealthier areas nearing the middle or end of their careers.

Ultimately I don't think we got the balance right and young people are 'owed something' here, almost like working people were 'owed something' after WW2.

Remainers scuppered a good deal, Dominic Grieve, Yvette Cooper, and the rest were in cahoots with the EU to try and stop Brexit however they could and let the EU know what to expect and negotiate as bad a deal as they could to try and stop the wishes of the Country.

It's a bad deal, remainers have got their wish to leave the EU without all the benefits we should have been getting, they screwed us over, and we'll just have to get on with it.
    I feel your pain.

If only Dominic Grieve and Yvette Cooper were not running the government it would have been sunlit uplands all the way!

Damn those pesky Remainers!

That lad in the clip still uses a waanking sock.- irrelevant though he’s entitled to vote , and the women s******ing behind are a lot older than him as well but are acting very very childishly.

The WAG are proposing to lower the voting age to 16 as well
    I wasn't questioning his right to vote? You're correct about the women although they're entitled to an opinion.

Strange you of all people are defending the youth vote as you usually dismiss anything from uhmmm let's say Greta Thunberg as the thoughts of a trained, deranged patsy, voicing the opinions of those who exploit her for their own motivations for everyone to live off the land and dance around the sun each morning.

I'm using artistic licence taken there buddy.

In regards to giving 16 year olds the vote, I have serious reservations about the individuals of that age who will vote.

They should be out taking as much MDMA, amphetamine, alcohol and shaaging as possible. Never done my generation any harm.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ah its the remainers fault Brexit has been a disaster.����������
    It's obvious, If Tan is negotiating to sell the club and Dalman is ringing the other party giving them the ammo they need to negotiate a better deal for the other party, we end up with a shit deal, and Dalman will have shafted Tan who is supposed to be representing?

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I feel your pain.

If only Dominic Grieve and Yvette Cooper were not running the government it would have been sunlit uplands all the way!

Damn those pesky Remainers!
    It doesn't bother me I'll always be fine, but it will make life worse for people who are already having a tough time, remainers stopped a decent deal, and there will be people here saying it's sad about poor people in food banks and then laughing saying it's great that Brexit isn't working and how brilliant it is that remainers helped the EU shaft us, they can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I wasn't questioning his right to vote? You're correct about the women although they're entitled to an opinion.

Strange you of all people are defending the youth vote as you usually dismiss anything from uhmmm let's say Greta Thunberg as the thoughts of a trained, deranged patsy, voicing the opinions of those who exploit her for their own motivations for everyone to live off the land and dance around the sun each morning.

I'm using artistic licence taken there buddy.

In regards to giving 16 year olds the vote, I have serious reservations about the individuals of that age who will vote.

They should be out taking as much MDMA, amphetamine, alcohol and shaaging as possible. Never done my generation any harm.
    Strange that you advocate drug taking as the “norm” when clearly it isn’t. I’ve lost too many friends from taking shit (probably people you knew) and plenty have had a reduction in the quality of life they lead. Each to their own though, as you say.

It doesn't bother me I'll always be fine, but it will make life worse for people who are already having a tough time, remainers stopped a decent deal, and there will be people here saying it's sad about poor people in food banks and then laughing saying it's great that Brexit isn't working and how brilliant it is that remainers helped the EU shaft us, they can't see it.
    I don't disagree that it's a shit show and people will suffer.

I just think you should own your own shit show and not blame the people who didn't vote for it, were not elected into government to implement it, and have been outside the tent since the referendum.

'Remainers helped the EU shaft us' is dishonest, delusional and a bit pathetic. Still, if that fantasy helps you through this mess....

International

I don't disagree that it's a shit show and people will suffer.

I just think you should own your own shit show and not blame the people who didn't vote for it, were not elected into government to implement it, and have been outside the tent since the referendum.

'Remainers helped the EU shaft us' is dishonest, delusional and a bit pathetic. Still, if that fantasy helps you through this mess....
    It's got nothing to do with me, I didn't vote to leave, and I'm not an MP.

The UK was trying to negotiate a good deal, but certain MPs were trying to stop it and had meetings with EU MPs, all these delays and efforts to stop it resulted in a landslide victory for Boris and a last-minute stop-gap poor deal.

If you can't see that you are deluded.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xit-delay.html

Strange that you advocate drug taking as the “norm” when clearly it isn’t. I’ve lost too many friends from taking shit (probably people you knew) and plenty have had a reduction in the quality of life they lead. Each to their own though, as you say.
    Sorry about those who have passed butt. Been there, done that. I'm guilty of trivialising what the 'youth' get up to or perhaps my own youth?

I'd still wonder of any 16 year old who decides to vote instead of going up the park for a Diamond White and a fumble.

It says more about me than the youngsters I know.

It's got nothing to do with me, I didn't vote to leave?

The UK was trying to negotiate a good deal, but certain MPs were trying to stop it and had meetings with EU MPs, all these delays and efforts to stop it resulted in a landslide victory for Boris and a last-minute stop-gap deal.

OK. I'm deluded.

A lot of my friends supported Brexit (from a Dennis Skinner position) but most were like me and thought it was an act of jingoistic self harm, that was then mismanaged by the Brexiteer government that was elected to Get It Done. That opposition politicians and the EU refused to join in the self harm is not a surprise or an excuse for what has been done (or not done) since 2016.

It is fair to reference Covid as a reason for delay, but the rest of it is entirely the responsibility and fault of the Tory government.

International

It's got nothing to do with me, I didn't vote to leave, and I'm not an MP.

The UK was trying to negotiate a good deal, but certain MPs were trying to stop it and had meetings with EU MPs, all these delays and efforts to stop it resulted in a landslide victory for Boris and a last-minute stop-gap poor deal.

I meant to add, I am blaming remainer MP's and pointing out to hardened remainers that are desperate to say it's Brexit fault at every opportunity that it's not a laughing matter, some people are suffering and 90% of the time after WAR in Ukrine, an energy crisis and Covid it's nothing to do with Brexit anyway.

International

OK. I'm deluded.

A lot of my friends supported Brexit (from a Dennis Skinner position) but most were like me and thought it was an act of jingoistic self harm, that was then mismanaged by the Brexiteer government that was elected to Get It Done. That opposition politicians and the EU refused to join in the self harm is not a surprise or an excuse for what has been done (or not done) since 2016.

It is fair to reference Covid as a reason for delay, but the rest of it is entirely the responsibility and fault of the Tory government.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, it was an impossible task, so many MP's from either party decided to feck it up and make sure it wouldn't work, well they have got their wish, we've got a half-done crap deal, which will have damaged the economy, at the worst possible time, right before Covid and Russia's War with Ukraine.

We'll have to agree to disagree, it was an impossible task, so many MP's from either party decided to feck it up and make sure it wouldn't work, well they have got their wish, we've got a half-done crap deal, which will have damaged the economy, at the worst possible time, right before Covid and Russia's War with Ukraine.
    It was an impossible task because nobody ever defined what 'leave' meant. Years were spent arguing over whether it meant 'no deal' or varying degrees of some deal. Leavers were undecided in what leave meant. Some leavers would have voted remain if the option was a hard Brexit. We also had arguments over whether MPs should support their constituents or the "will of the people". I remember asking people that, if Brexit would guarantee significant job losses in a constituency, what should the local MP support?

Remain only had 1 option - remain. Leave had many different options. The leave campaign should have spelt out from the start what Brexit was going to mean, rather than leave and sort things out afterwards. The leave campaign wouldn't accept that as it would have definitely lost them the referendum.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It was an impossible task because nobody ever defined what 'leave' meant. Years were spent arguing over whether it meant 'no deal' or varying degrees of some deal. Leavers were undecided in what leave meant. Some leavers would have voted remain if the option was a hard Brexit. We also had arguments over whether MPs should support their constituents or the "will of the people". I remember asking people that, if Brexit would guarantee significant job losses in a constituency, what should the local MP support?

Remain only had 1 option - remain. Leave had many different options. The leave campaign should have spelt out from the start what Brexit was going to mean, rather than leave and sort things out afterwards. The leave campaign wouldn't accept that as it would have definitely lost them the referendum.
    Thats true it was a daft decision to have the vote in the first place!

Listen up

The absolute monumental feck up that was the vote , those who voted to leave and the government who brought it all in

Tough luck on those who voted leave if you get it up the arris but nothing to do with me or anyone else who voted to remain

Your vote , you voted leave

If it screws your life up deal with it

Don't blame us

Switch off the lights

I thought I had seen peak revisionism around the Covid years but some of this thread tops that.

When we voted to leave the EU a number of types of deal were available.

The first thing the May government did was rule out being part of the Single Market or a Customs Union. This immediately limited the options on the table.

To resolve the issue of a land border on the island of Ireland there were then two options. A backstop that kept the UK in the customs union until a technological or other solution was available to preserve the integrity of the Single Market or a border for certain goods between GB and Northern Ireland.

May pushed the former, had people like Johnson resign and her Party forced out of office. Johnson pulled his oven ready deal out of the hat (the GB/NI border), agreed a deal with Brussels which included detaching the UK from the EU to the widest extent to supposedly allow the greatest opportunity to negotiate new trade deals with the rest of the world. This introduced friction in trade between GB and continental EU.

This was voted overwhelmingly through Parliament and Johnson won a landslide on the back of it, not least because he promised people like the DUP and hardliners in his party there would be no checks between GB and NI when this was patently not the case (ie not for the first time he lied through his teeth to gain a short term advantage.

The last couple of years has been taken up with dealing with the consequences of this shabby deal, particularly as the DUP soon realised they had been duped. Where Dominic Grieve and Yvette Cooper fit into this Tory/ERG owned shitshow, other than voting against May's deal is anyone's guess.

I often sit from afar and chuckle at these types of threads on here

This is a Ford story and whether it goes the likes of Woolworths, Polaroid and blockbuster.

A relatively new entrant has taken over a valuable revenue stream in the very important mid to upper ranges; Tesla. Fords attachment to internal combustion engines has almost been negligent, they haven't been caught napping they have been unconscious.

Being unashamed "America First" is a hail mary shout for patriotism in a competitive domestic market and the new entrant is also American and all the new subsidies are going in that direction.

Brexit has nothing to do with it.

Outside the battery, electric cars are pretty easy to assemble, I can see a lot of smaller local, national manufacturers setting up pretty quickly and the landscape will look very different and Ford won't be part of that.

Welcome back British Leyland

International

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I often sit from afar and chuckle at these types of threads on here

This is a Ford story and whether it goes the likes of Woolworths, Polaroid and blockbuster.

A relatively new entrant has taken over a valuable revenue stream in the very important mid to upper ranges; Tesla. Fords attachment to internal combustion engines has almost been negligent, they haven't been caught napping they have been unconscious.

Being unashamed "America First" is a hail mary shout for patriotism in a competitive domestic market and the new entrant is also American and all the new subsidies are going in that direction.

Brexit has nothing to do with it.

Outside the battery, electric cars are pretty easy to assemble, I can see a lot of smaller local, national manufacturers setting up pretty quickly and the landscape will look very different and Ford won't be part of that.

Welcome back British Leyland
    Good point that the same could apply to BMW, Audi, etc, it looks like Kia and Hyundai and going to grab much larger slices of the electric market and I'm even starting to see electric MG's everywhere lately.

The electric MG is exactly what I was eluding to, everywhere. If you take automomous driving out, its just a glorifeid milk float.

The Japanese owned the Cathode Ray Tube TV market from the 80 to the early 2000's but hung on too long to them, then the Koreans through LG and Samsung can charging through with LED,LCD's and Plasma and the Japanese have never really recovered. TV's are relatively cheap nowadays and generally either of those two makes.

No reason why UK PLC couldn't make batteries and assemble cars pretty quickly here.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    When we voted to leave the EU a number of types of deal were available.
    Thank you. In other words nobody knew what leave meant as there were several leave options.

What should have happened was that the public should have been given a list of what would happen as a result of leaving, not spending years deciding if this or the other should or shouldn't happen.

If the option presented to voters was a hard, no-deal Brexit, leave would have lost as a good percentage of leave voters wanted to remain in the customs union. If the option presented to voters was a soft Brexit, I suspect some no-dealers might not have bothered voting.

Either way, exactly what Brexit should entail should have been presented to the public before the referendum and then acted on, not the shit show we had of trying to work out what to do.