+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: food shortages

Re: food shortages

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve always liked oxtail soup and have started having a tin every week after discovering that Aldi’s do a very nice one at 57p a can. They’d sold out of it last week and so decided as a one off that I’d get a can of Heinz oxtail when I went to Tesco’s - I decided not to bother when I saw it was £1.75.
    I regularly buy the Aldi 57p Oxtail soup and it's fabulous. I also buy their Chicken, Mushroom, Lentil and Tomato (I like soup) soups and in my opinion they are all equally as good as the higher priced brands.

If one store can do it and presumably make a profit, why can't they all? Profiteering kents: others who should be banished to the fiery furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I regularly buy the Aldi 57p Oxtail soup and it's fabulous. I also buy their Chicken, Mushroom, Lentil and Tomato (I like soup) soups and in my opinion they are all equally as good as the higher priced brands.

If one store can do it and presumably make a profit, why can't they all? Profiteering kents: others who should be banished to the fiery furnace.
    Shouldn't they be slowly boiled for hours to create a good stock? Waste not want not in these hardy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I can highly recommend Asda's tin of oxtail soup @ 65p. https://groceries.asda.com/product/t...l-soup/2099660

That was 50p a go until November last year.

I used to be able to view all online orders I made there. I still can but sneakily Asda last month removed the cost of items of all items previously purchased. Before they did I calculated what I had bought there in the 12 months prior had rose an average of 22%.
    Bought two tins at Aldis this morning at less than a third of Heinz’s price - apples up by 20p (third price rise in a year), smaller portions of blueberries and rocket up by 20 per cent (the first three items I picked up) though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    That's GMO isn't it?

Just need Lardy & Cyril to come along now and tell everybody how good it will be for them.
    It's probably better to discuss your views on the game rather than act all snarky, because it's this type of behaviour that brings the message down. In football parlance, play the ball not the man before even more people get fed up and leave because of the juvenile behaviour of certain posters

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Shouldn't they be slowly boiled for hours to create a good stock? Waste not want not in these hardy times.
    A damn good point Cyril 👍

The two tins of oxtail soup I'd ordered were missing from my Asda home delivery yesterday, they had run out of them and I was mortified.

It was also minus the wafer thin honey roast ham that's my hound's favourite nosh. He was glum too.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The two tins of oxtail soup I'd ordered were missing from my Asda home delivery yesterday, they had run out of them and I was mortified.

It was also minus the wafer thin honey roast ham that's my hound's favourite nosh. He was glum too.
    If you type in the code ****THETORIES at check out you should get your Oxtail soups fine. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    If you type in the code ****THETORIES at check out you should get your Oxtail soups fine. 👍
    Is that LOVEtheTories in your case JW? 😊

You fecking what?!

Have you confused me with a certain blue-loving Cowbridge resident?

To retain my integrity there is no way I would type the word LOVETHETORIES at Asda just to ensure two tins of oxtail soup are delivered.

For four or more of them though I'd give it some serious consideration.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Is that LOVEtheTories in your case JW? 😊
    I know it is for some on here, but LOVE is not a rude word my friend ❤️❤️

I know it is for some on here, but LOVE is not a rude word my friend ❤️❤️
    But it is a four letter word!

Gone abroad twice recently to Spain , Portugal same food shelf issues. Does appear global .. friends tell me same elsewhere .

This might help .
    three reasons for the food crisis were the implementation of the European Green Deal, the COVID-19 pandemic, and inflation. The pandemic and the world's response are directly linked through lockdowns and the huge payments to support businesses that closed and direct payments to workers for lost income.Feb 21, 2023

There are global causes of shortages.

There are also UK specific causes. Like Brexit - a significant cause of farm labour shortages and supply chain problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There are global causes of shortages.

There are also UK specific causes. Like Brexit - a significant cause of farm labour shortages and supply chain problems.
    There's an agricultural worker shortage pretty much everywhere in western Europe. As usual the 'blame brexit' crowd are quick to point to it even if it's not reality.

Seperate to that, hopefully it leads to more apprenticeships and rising wages for UK agricultural workers, which I am sure everyone would support.

There's an agricultural worker shortage pretty much everywhere in western Europe. As usual the 'blame brexit' crowd are quick to point to it even if it's not reality.

Seperate to that, hopefully it leads to more apprenticeships and rising wages for UK agricultural workers, which I am sure everyone would support.

Of course it's a reality. It's not the only reality - there are a number of contributory factors in the UK farm labour shortage - but the post-Brexit barriers to temporary farm labour from EU countries is a significant one.

The NFU have consistently made that point. The 'temporary visa' scheme invented by the government last year was a flop.

Of course it's a reality. It's not the only reality - there are a number of contributory factors in the UK farm labour shortage - but the post-Brexit barriers to temporary farm labour from EU countries is a significant one.

The NFU have consistently made that point. The 'temporary visa' scheme invented by the government last year was a flop.
    Sure, there are nearly always multiple causes for anything, yet the fanatics (on both sides in fairness) try to deceive and make out it's all connected to one thing. It isn't. If there is an agricultural worker shortage across western Europe it rather suggests other matters at play. Also, the flip side of any negative are never discussed, such as rising wages and very low unemployment.

We have many problems in the country but arguably there has never been a better time for young workers entering the Labour market.

Surely you would support things like rising wages and apprenticeships, no?

Surely you would support things like rising wages and apprenticeships, no?
    Yes. Of course.

But we can achieve rising wages and apprenticeships without Brexit, labour shortages and food shortages.

Yes. Of course.

But we can achieve rising wages and apprenticeships without Brexit, labour shortages and food shortages.
    It's harder in practice though isn't it. Why bother training up someone and then paying someone more when you can get a fully trained person from abroad and pay them less?

This is the issue with a mass free market system as we had. There are benefits but there are costs too.

Now we have left there are also costs and benefits. It's a matter of what you choose to focus on.