+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: food shortages

Re: food shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You're going to love the climate related restrictions when they kick in.
    Maybe we could implement policies that would stop climate change e.g. renewable and nuclear energy to prevent this.

Or is that just part of some global wef Soros conspiracy as well?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Tory agitprop still posting drivel I see.
    No these were the EU fanatical loons AZ. You can tell they aren't Tories cos they helpfully post #Toryscum on their bios. Predicting apocalypse because HarryFBPE couldn't get his cherry tomatoes last week. I know right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Like I said earlier, but some strangely disagreed, things were swell earlier ....until Brexit!
    Yep, those brexiteers have a lot to answer for.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/a...ecurity-update

Lidl has had a mention in this thread. Here's another piece of the puzzle of our journey towards eating bugs and fake meat.

Great Reset: Supermarket Chain Lidl to Cut Down on Meat Products to Serve Green Agenda

- Major European grocery chain Lidl will seek to reduce the amount of meat products sold in its stores in favour of “alternative” protein sources to promote the global green agenda.

Lidl’s purchasing director for the German market, Christoph Graf, said this week at a Berlin ‘Green Week’ event that the discount supermarket retailer will seek to move away from selling meat because “there is no second planet”.

In comments reported by the German newspaper Der Spiegel, the grocery executive said that in order to meet the demands of a global population, meat consumption in the West needs to be reduced. -

More: - https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...-green-agenda/

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Lidl has had a mention in this thread. Here's another piece of the puzzle of our journey towards eating bugs and fake meat.

Great Reset: Supermarket Chain Lidl to Cut Down on Meat Products to Serve Green Agenda

- Major European grocery chain Lidl will seek to reduce the amount of meat products sold in its stores in favour of “alternative” protein sources to promote the global green agenda.

Lidl’s purchasing director for the German market, Christoph Graf, said this week at a Berlin ‘Green Week’ event that the discount supermarket retailer will seek to move away from selling meat because “there is no second planet”.

In comments reported by the German newspaper Der Spiegel, the grocery executive said that in order to meet the demands of a global population, meat consumption in the West needs to be reduced. -

I don't see any future for football either. Maybe a few televised Super League matches with CGI crowds and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

Breitbart?? Dear god...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Breitbart?? Dear god...
    Der Spiegel too, then?

The article was based on their story. https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/li...a-6ef54b336def

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I don't see any future for football either. Maybe a few televised Super League matches with CGI crowds and that's it.
    I made a jokey thread about a Wales egg international the other day which included a serious element re all the pollution caused by 74K people attending that event which none needed to be at.

The same could be said for any mass entertainment event. Ditto for flying to foreign hols, etc.

Klaus has a plan to end all that for the proles.

A little food shortage brings out your creative side.

no shortages evident in Ireland, France or Germany according to Twitter users in those countries.

but sure, definitely nothing to do with Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no shortages evident in Ireland, France or Germany according to Twitter users in those countries.

Twitter is about as reliable for news as a cats farts are. Seriously it's one thing to spread misinformation but to endlessly do it to run down your own country...honestly, what motivates people to do that? It took seconds to find these stories.

Here's a story from Ireland, yesterday, including the quote:
    "Irish retailers have expressed concern about a shortage in availability of certain fruit and vegetables with items such as tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers proving to be harder to source because of poor weather conditions in Europe."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41076620.html

Here's a story from the Netherlands, today, including the quote: "Cold weather in Southern Europe and empty Dutch greenhouses due to high energy bills have resulted in empty vegetable shelves in the Netherlands."

https://nltimes.nl/2023/02/22/avocad...ly-due-weather

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Twitter is about as reliable for news as a cats farts are. Seriously it's one thing to spread misinformation but to endlessly do it to run down your own country...honestly, what motivates people to do that? It took seconds to find these stories.

Here's a story from Ireland, yesterday, including the quote:
    "Irish retailers have expressed concern about a shortage in availability of certain fruit and vegetables with items such as tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers proving to be harder to source because of poor weather conditions in Europe."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41076620.html

Here's a story from the Netherlands, today, including the quote: "Cold weather in Southern Europe and empty Dutch greenhouses due to high energy bills have resulted in empty vegetable shelves in the Netherlands."

https://nltimes.nl/2023/02/22/avocad...ly-due-weather
    I think I have a reasonable understanding of this industry sector and in this instance Brexit is pretty low on the causation factors ( We seem to have created a greater dependence on Moroccan produce at the expense of EU sources and country has been the most impacted by weather, disease and logistical issues).

I was more intrigued by your assertion that people who, rightly or wrongly, see Brexit as having a greater role are saying that to run down the country.

Do you think these people, who believe that the Brexit chosen and implemented is deeply flawed, are somehow less patriotic than those that think everything is rosy in the garden since the version of Brexit chosen is (still in the process) of being cemented?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think I have a reasonable understanding of this industry sector and in this instance Brexit is pretty low on the causation factors ( We seem to have created a greater dependence on Moroccan produce at the expense of EU sources and country has been the most impacted by weather, disease and logistical issues).

I was more intrigued by your assertion that people who, rightly or wrongly, see Brexit as having a greater role are saying that to run down the country.

Do you think these people, who believe that the Brexit chosen and implemented is deeply flawed, are somehow less patriotic than those that think everything is rosy in the garden since the version of Brexit chosen is (still in the process) of being cemented?
    I think you've presented a false argument there. No one is talking about patriotism and there is no inherent relationship with someone thinking Brexit was a good idea or not and being 'patriotic', however that concept is defined.

However, I think going out of your way to find stories that constantly run the country down and present it in a negative light, whilst ignoring good news stories, or those that imply that other countries are also experiencing issues is a curious use of ones time.

It's very political; some republicans will do it in America to undermine Biden etc, I just don't really get people's motivation for it.

I think you've presented a false argument there. No one is talking about patriotism and there is no inherent relationship with someone thinking Brexit was a good idea or not and being 'patriotic', however that concept is defined.

However, I think going out of your way to find stories that constantly run the country down and present it in a negative light, whilst ignoring good news stories, or those that imply that other countries are also experiencing issues is a curious use of ones time.

It's very political; some republicans will do it in America to undermine Biden etc, I just don't really get people's motivation for it.
    So, back in the days when there were arguments about what type of Brexit we should have, you wanted a Hard Brexit? I seem to remember it being dismissed as the wishes of just the more rabid parts of the ERG at the time, but it’s pretty much what we’ve ended up with.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;5396206]So, back in the days when there were arguments about what type of Brexit we should have, you wanted a Hard Brexit? I seem to remember it being dismissed as the wishes of just the more rabid parts of the ERG at the time, but it’s pretty much what we’ve ended up with.[/QUOTE

I'm not sure how that's connected to the above, but, no..I'm a pragmatist. I wanted Theresa May's deal with the EU to be voted through. Fundamentally since the vote we've had too many people who were ideologues on one side (ERG)and on the other side too many who never accepted the result anyway.

Also, we haven't ended up with a 'hard brexit' have we? My understanding of the word is that that meant leaving with no trade deal with the EU.

You're like a dog with a bone

I thought it was a question rather than an argument. Nevertheless I'll run with it.

People who find stories that present things like Brexit in a bad light without seeing the upsides are running the UK down;

Republicans who find stories that undermine Biden without seeing the upsides are running the USA down;

People who find stories about health and transport infrastructure in Wales without seeing the upsides are running Wales down.

Have I got that right?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I thought it was a question rather than an argument. Nevertheless I'll run with it.

People who find stories that present things like Brexit in a bad light without seeing the upsides are running the UK down;

Republicans who find stories that undermine Biden without seeing the upsides are running the USA down;

People who find stories about health and transport infrastructure in Wales without seeing the upsides are running Wales down.

Have I got that right?
    No, not really. I'm just saying things like that are often politically motivated, and no, I don't really understand that motivation of endlessly posting negative things about your own country and ignoring anything positive is. I don't see what the point of that is really and I find it quite divisive and not reflective of reality.

No, not really. I'm just saying things like that are often politically motivated, and no, I don't really understand that motivation of endlessly posting negative things about your own country and ignoring anything positive is. I don't see what the point of that is really and I find it quite divisive and not reflective of reality.
    But we had forty years of what used to be called anti marketeers doing the same thing on the other side of the argument and it’s something I think you’re probably going to have to get used to. I’ll probably be long gone when it happens, but I’m sure that there’ll be another vote about the EU somewhere along the line.

Are you sure about that ? - Plenty of problems in Ireland being reported yesterday. Less so in France - but they pay much higher prices there already. They ran a 30 minute segment on LBC last night - with an ex Tesco purchasing director who live in Antibes (france) - she explained it all - supermarkets in France and Germany pay their suppliers more eg Cauliflower in France about 3 euros (£2.65) UK price is about £1.76 , so if you are happy to pay higher prices for your cauliflower - crack on - we'll do what the French do - and make the cost if living worse than it already is.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41076908.html
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/broken...age-ifa-750921
    https://www.irishtimes.com/food/2023...-energy-costs/

First Team

In summary, you want what you think is 'balance' I would guess.

Point us to a post where you said positive things about Labour.

Point us to a post where you admitted Brexit is a complete shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    In summary, you want what you think is 'balance' I would guess.

Point us to a post where you said positive things about Labour.

Point us to a post where you admitted Brexit is a complete shit show.
    A strange example for you to request old bean as I started the thread on Labours new pledges earlier today in which I gave a fairly balanced introduction and said:

” hard to argue with the principles."

I also gave one of my two votes to Labour in the last local elections and have voted for them more than Tory in my life. I am more than happy to say many good things about Labour, because I understand politics isn't a Disney story of good and evil.

As for Brexit, for much of last year we had the highest GDP growth in the G7, the FTSE is currently at an all time high, wages have never risen so fast (and much better in the wages v inflation ratio than the EU) and unemployment is at a near 50 year low.

On the other hand there is the depreciation of the pound, troubles for exporters, generally anaemic growth etcetc etc.

So yeah, things are balanced, even if you wish to view things as some kind of black and white issue, that doesn't mean they are.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    But we had forty years of what used to be called anti marketeers doing the same thing on the other side of the argument and it’s something I think you’re probably going to have to get used to. I’ll probably be long gone when it happens, but I’m sure that there’ll be another vote about the EU somewhere along the line.
    I don't disagree, and it was f**kng annoying and of limited help, right?

I don't disagree, and it was f**kng annoying and of limited help, right?
    Surely the point is that, although it took them decades, the most passionate anti marketeers ended up getting what they wanted. A precedent has been set and those Remainers who feel most strongly about Brexit are going to reference that as a reason not to just accept the 2016 vote - the people campaigning for another vote are not going to just go away and they have the knowledge that the rump of the Leave vote is dying out, the demographics of the future look to be in their favour.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Surely the point is that, although it took them decades, the most passionate anti marketeers ended up getting what they wanted. A precedent has been set and those Remainers who feel most strongly about Brexit are going to reference that as a reason not to just accept the 2016 vote - the people campaigning for another vote are not going to just go away and they have the knowledge that the rump of the Leave vote is dying out, the demographics of the future look to be in their favour.
    Yes, I see what you mean and fair point. I don't doubt that some people will always seek a future referendum and that's fair enough. That's their right. Id say the fact that some sought that from the day after the 2016 one suggests it's slightly disingenuous but again, people can campaign for what they like.

I just see no benefit in endlessly posting negative news and ignoring good news. It doesn't reflect reality and it's a depressing way to operate that I fundementally don't understand people's motivation for. There are grown people on twitter taking photos of tomatoes ffs and thinking it's some killer argument. It's preposterous.