+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Allsop

Re: Ryan Allsop

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I don’t rate him but he’s not that bad looking.
    Playing behind the defence, he caused no offence.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes, I've seen that too, so if he thinks he will be better imagine what he thinks of our keeper, plus if I can see he's not very good, Lamouchi is bound to be able to see it with an even more critical eye as he is vitally important to Lamouchi's success. It's his job to spot the weaknesses and find replacements.
    Or help improve

I was disappointed when he signed. I was always pleased when he was in goal against us. He's good with his feet but crap with his hands which isn't a quality I want in a keeper.

I felt he should have saved the first Norwich goal as it went under his forearm. He had no chance with the second though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Allsop has his weak points, but slagging off the keeper in a team with our scoring record is like trying to fix a windscreen wiper on a car with no brakes.
    It's possible to improve our goals conceded record (especially from long range) and goals scored at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It's possible to improve our goals conceded record (especially from long range) and goals scored at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Yep, statistically one of the worst in the leagues at actually preventing goals: https://twitter.com/louorns/status/1...888993797?s=20

Very interesting advanced stats... I assume that last column means we are top 4/5 in the division in terms of quality of shots allowed too which says our decent number of goals allowed is far more our defense than it is Allsop.

Personally I think he's very poor at shot stopping and has clearly cost us games this year. Beaten far too easily with low shots from distance. Is he our biggest problem, no. But for a team who has consistently had top goalkeeping at this level he's our worst goalie in a long time.

I’d have Neil Etheridge back tomorrow.

Allsop made a great save at 0-0 1st game of the season v Norwich, a game we went on to (somehow) win, and imo has been good, and looked solid most of this season.
    I think some fans, (who know nothing about goalkeeping btw), just listen to pundits on TV (who are paid to talk nonsense) a little too much, and go along with what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Allsop made a great save at 0-0 1st game of the season v Norwich, a game we went on to (somehow) win, and imo has been good, and looked solid most of this season.
    I think some fans, (who know nothing about goalkeeping btw), just listen to pundits on TV (who are paid to talk nonsense) a little too much, and go along with what they say.
    Don’t think I’ve ever heard a pundit talk about Allsop, not that I watch them much and I doubt many give views on the goalkeeping situation down the City. I’m just not comfortable with him, his ‘strength’ I imagine is perceived to be his ‘sweeper keeper’ way of playing. This very nearly went tits up against Reading in the last home game when he just about got away with a bit of ball juggling in his six yard box. I’m just not very confident of his ability to read the situation when the opposition are in possession around the edge of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Aye we can't move for pundits talking about Ryan Allsop...

In my view he's been poor and isn't good enough for this level, the stats and his career back that up. He's good with the ball, but his shot stopping and command of his area leave a lot to be desired

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Aye we can't move for pundits talking about Ryan Allsop...

In my view he's been poor and isn't good enough for this level, the stats and his career back that up. He's good with the ball, but his shot stopping and command of his area leave a lot to be desired
    Like so many of our players, he's got some positives but he's not very good at the main part of his job.

Allsop is OK, he's played almost all of his career at the lower leagues and there's a reason for that. Still, it isn't his fault we're in this mess but if we can replace him, I would.

Last week I asked LOM to produce a list of goals we’ve conceded that were clearly down to us trying to play out from the back. Such a list, even of one goal, never came and the truth is I cannot recall a single League goal we’ve conceded where we’ve presented the opposition with a goal through over playing in the same manner as, for example, Hull and Boro have to us.

So, on a similar score, can someone provide a list of, say, five goals we’ve conceded that were directly down to Allsop? I blamed him to an extent for the first goal on Saturday, but Sludge is right, the fact a shot went through someone’s legs always makes it harder to save. I thought he could have done better with Millwall’s recent goal against us, but Kipre was much more to blame in my book. There have been goals we’ve let in where I’ve asked the question could Allsop have done better, I mentioned in my last blog piece that his reactions seem fractionally slower than most Championship goalkeepers and he does give the impression that he’s a bit “heavy footed”, but I see little evidence to suggest these weaknesses are costing us a lot of goals.

I think some realism is needed here, last summer we were shopping in football’s equivalent of Poundland (until we found £1.5 million for Robinson from somewhere) and our manager at the time was prioritising a goalkeeper who was comfortable with the ball at his feet - I don’t believe we could have down much better than Allsop in those circumstances. People talk about him having been relegated twice, but one of those was with a Wycombe team with a tiny budget by Championship standards and the other was with a Derby team with a huge points deduction. I’ll also say on the subject of pundits that they’d be saying plenty about him if he was as bad as some in this thread make out. As for stats, I’d say goalkeeping stats are more subjective generally than they are for outfield players, it’s very much in the eye of the beholder.

I’ve defended a goalkeeper that I’d say is probably in the bottom third of any list of first choice Championship keepers mainly because I saw him described as “shit”. I’ve never seen a player in a Xity shirt who seriously justifies that description. I learned my lesson on that score quite recently when I learned that Cameron Toshack, my usual answer to the question who’s the worst City player you’ve seen (someone I would have called a shit footballer) had type one diabetes at the time he was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t think I’ve ever heard a pundit talk about Allsop, not that I watch them much and I doubt many give views on the goalkeeping situation down the City. I’m just not comfortable with him, his ‘strength’ I imagine is perceived to be his ‘sweeper keeper’ way of playing. This very nearly went tits up against Reading in the last home game when he just about got away with a bit of ball juggling in his six yard box. I’m just not very confident of his ability to read the situation when the opposition are in possession around the edge of the box.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last week I asked LOM to produce a list of goals we’ve conceded that were clearly down to us trying to play out from the back. Such a list, even of one goal, never came and the truth is I cannot recall a single League goal we’ve conceded where we’ve presented the opposition with a goal through over playing in the same manner as, for example, Hull and Boro have to us.

So, on a similar score, can someone provide a list of, say, five goals we’ve conceded that were directly down to Allsop? I blamed him to an extent for the first goal on Saturday, but Sludge is right, the fact a shot went through someone’s legs always makes it harder to save. I thought he could have done better with Millwall’s recent goal against us, but Kipre was much more to blame in my book. There have been goals we’ve let in where I’ve asked the question could Allsop have done better, I mentioned in my last blog piece that his reactions seem fractionally slower than most Championship goalkeepers and he does give the impression that he’s a bit “heavy footed”, but I see little evidence to suggest these weaknesses are costing us a lot of goals.

I think some realism is needed here, last summer we were shopping in football’s equivalent of Poundland (until we found £1.5 million for Robinson from somewhere) and our manager at the time was prioritising a goalkeeper who was comfortable with the ball at his feet - I don’t believe we could have down much better than Allsop in those circumstances. People talk about him having been relegated twice, but one of those was with a Wycombe team with a tiny budget by Championship standards and the other was with a Derby team with a huge points deduction. I’ll also say on the subject of pundits that they’d be saying plenty about him if he was as bad as some in this thread make out. As for stats, I’d say goalkeeping stats are more subjective generally than they are for outfield players, it’s very much in the eye of the beholder.

I’ve defended a goalkeeper that I’d say is probably in the bottom third of any list of first choice Championship keepers mainly because I saw him described as “shit”. I’ve never seen a player in a Xity shirt who seriously justifies that description. I learned my lesson on that score quite recently when I learned that Cameron Toshack, my usual answer to the question who’s the worst City player you’ve seen (someone I would have called a shit footballer) had type one diabetes at the time he was with us.

He's a League one keeper, that's where he plays, the reason he was at Derby and Wycombe is because were destined for League one the next season.

We could have done a lot better everyone can see that, and for at least a third of the goals he has conceded, I've thought that was a bit soft, a better keeper may have got that.

He's a weakness along with the Strikers and left back, they are the areas Sabri will be prioritising.

Guess we’ll find out

Allsopp bit of twat. Made 2 good saves but no need to rush out like that.

We won stop moaning and looking for negatives you misermiserable tw*ts

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    We won stop moaning and looking for negatives you misermiserable tw*ts
    A memorable day indeed Stan! Blooooobirds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Guess we’ll find out
    Is it just a one match suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Allsopp bit of twat. Made 2 good saves but no need to rush out like that.
    His abilities as a shot stopper have been rubbished on here over the past week - with some justification. But I thought he did well today - very well - until the rush of blood on 91 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    His abilities as a shot stopper have been rubbished on here over the past week - with some justification. But I thought he did well today - very well - until the rush of blood on 91 minutes.
    Yes he did. The irony now is he misses the next one. Before today I would have said that’s a bonus but he had a great game before the last fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Yes he did. The irony now is he misses the next one. Before today I would have said that’s a bonus but he had a great game before the last fiasco.
    Really don't understand the criticism he's been getting on here. I think he's a perfectly see decent goalkeeper at this level. We've definitely been spoiled for high quality goalies at Cardiff in most of my time as a fan, and I'm 43. But he's not the reason we've ended up where we are this season.

International

NG has a better record, one appearance, and one clean sheet, he could have played in goals against Reading and Birmingham too as we didn't need a keeper for those games.

He was OK today before the sending off which was stupid, the two saves were standard first-division keeper-type saves, the first one just run out the second looked better but why did he leave a gap in the wall?

He did a job and will be gone by next season, Sabri doesn't want him, I'm not sure how good Alnwick is but we'll soon find out, he won't have to be that good to retain the shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    NG has a better record, one appearance, and one clean sheet, he could have played in goals against Reading and Birmingham too as we didn't need a keeper for those games.

He was OK today before the sending off which was stupid, the two saves were standard first-division keeper-type saves, the first one just run out the second looked better but why did he leave a gap in the wall?

He did a job and will be gone by next season, Sabri doesn't want him, I'm not sure how good Alnwick is but we'll soon find out, he won't have to be that good to retain the shirt.
    How do you explain the manager picking Alsop every week and leaving Alnwick on the bench then ?