+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Martial Arts

Anyone do anything of the sort?

I know most of you on here are over 50 but we can't discriminate in this day and age.

I've never seen the point of learning any of it, self defence etc. If someone is going to lump you in the face they're going to lump you in the face. Most of these people that learn these types of things will never have been punched I'm the face, so what good is all this stuff they've learned if they can't use it in a real life situation?

Contradiction ahead.. but I've been suggested to the women in the family to learn some basics just incase.. I got a universal "**** off"

So who actually does these classes because they seem to be popular these days

Re: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Anyone do anything of the sort?

I know most of you on here are over 50 but we can't discriminate in this day and age.

I've never seen the point of learning any of it, self defence etc. If someone is going to lump you in the face they're going to lump you in the face. Most of these people that learn these types of things will never have been punched I'm the face, so what good is all this stuff they've learned if they can't use it in a real life situation?

Contradiction ahead.. but I've been suggested to the women in the family to learn some basics just incase.. I got a universal "**** off"

So who actually does these classes because they seem to be popular these days
    I have a black belt in origami.

I never have but for a while now I've wanted to do jiu jitsu.

Don't really know what has kept me from at least trying it.

Think it would be a fantastic skill to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Because you aren't that motivated.

Done a few but never stuck at them. Krav Maga, Karate, Kick boxing.

Too much into my weights so never fully committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The benefits are three fold I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

That’s actually just grappling around on the floor with other blokes isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That’s actually just grappling around on the floor with other blokes isn’t it?
    I thought that was bollock naked Twister?

Judo Brown Belt

It's hopeless for self defence

As is any martial arts if you are pissed

Stay away from city centres late at night that's where most aggro takes place

I used to play ludo a lot as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Judo Brown Belt

It's hopeless for self defence

As is any martial arts if you are pissed

Stay away from city centres late at night that's where most aggro takes place
    Is that just throwing people?

I suppose that if a person participates in a martial art, then they've probably got more chance of defending themselves than someone who doesn't. The other aspect of participating in a physical activity is fitness and social, getting the old endorphins rushing, i know that may be an alien concept to the majority on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I suppose that if a person participates in a martial art, then they've probably got more chance of defending themselves than someone who doesn't. The other aspect of participating in a physical activity is fitness and social, getting the old endorphins rushing, i know that may be an alien concept to the majority on here.
    It was more the "getting punched in the face" that got me. How useful are these types of activities.

Take Jiu Jitzu. You can grapple someone to the floor, what if there's more than one? So you've had the pinch in the face you've never had but you get the one to the floor, what next?

How practical is it?

I understand someone that does one lesson a month is better than someone who sits on their couch..

It was more the "getting punched in the face" that got me. How useful are these types of activities.

Take Jiu Jitzu. You can grapple someone to the floor, what if there's more than one? So you've had the pinch in the face you've never had but you get the one to the floor, what next?

How practical is it?

I understand someone that does one lesson a month is better than someone who sits on their couch..
    Brazilian JJ is quite aggressive i think. Most of these martial arts are about taking people down i suppose, lets face it, someone with boxing training is going to cause all kinds of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Brazilian JJ is quite aggressive i think. Most of these martial arts are about taking people down i suppose, lets face it, someone with boxing training is going to cause all kinds of problems.
    Ive just had a 'why judo is best for self defense" video pop up on YouTube on my TV. I don't have it on my phone. Only mentioned by sludge in this thread (actually when I quoted him as well) hmmmmmmmm

Ive just had a 'why judo is best for self defense" video pop up on YouTube on my TV. I don't have it on my phone. Only mentioned by sludge in this thread (actually when I quoted him as well) hmmmmmmmm
    It's a waste of time unless you are wrestling on the floor

That's what I was inferring in my contribution

Is that just throwing people?
    Basically

But grappling when you are on the floor which is where a lot of street fights end up

I wouldn't bother with it for self defence purposes

It's a waste of time unless you are wrestling on the floor

That's what I was inferring in my contribution
    Find it weird how you've mentioned it on here (I'm reading on my phone) and it's appeared on my TV. I don't have a YouTube app on my phone.

If you were wrestling about on the floor I reckon Jiu jitzu would be better.

Basically

But grappling when you are on the floor which is where a lot of street fights end up

I wouldn't bother with it for self defence purposes
    Loads of people seem to be going to the classes. I was curious of people's opinions on them. I reckon the majority of street fights end up in a grapple as a lot of people don't want the fight/can't fight so just grab and hope for the best.

I got a black belt in karate by the age of 21.
    It doesn’t make you a hard bastard, and as the OP has said, if someone blindsided me with a sucker punch, it wouldn’t be much use to me.
    What it did give me though, at a young age, was a bit of discipline and confidence, and the ability to at least defend myself in any confrontations.
    I’m a quiet guy, always have been, and have only once had to use it, to diffuse a situation yrs ago in a nightclub.
    Most guys go through their life without getting into any bother, if they don’t go looking for trouble that is.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I got a black belt in karate by the age of 21.
    It doesn’t make you a hard bastard, and as the OP has said, if someone blindsided me with a sucker punch, it wouldn’t be much use to me.
    What it did give me though, at a young age, was a bit of discipline and confidence, and the ability to at least defend myself in any confrontations.
    I’m a quiet guy, always have been, and have only once had to use it, to diffuse a situation yrs ago in a nightclub.
    Most guys go through their life without getting into any bother, if they don’t go looking for trouble that is.
    The key word is Discipline, sport does teach that.

I did Judo as a youngster (ive mentioned it on here in the past ) Represented Wales in it

my both daughters did choi kwang do ( a drill based martial art, punching / kicking pads and blocking both , but its non competitive ) twice per week

both are fairly decent exercise and thats got to be good

Would my judo help me in self defence ? ?, I used to Box aswell, combine the both of them, you stand a better chance than nothing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I did Judo as a youngster (ive mentioned it on here in the past ) Represented Wales in it

my both daughters did choi kwang do ( a drill based martial art, punching / kicking pads and blocking both , but its non competitive ) twice per week

both are fairly decent exercise and thats got to be good

Would my judo help me in self defence ? ?, I used to Box aswell, combine the both of them, you stand a better chance than nothing
    For those that have done boxing I think there's an advantage.

Having thought about it a bit, I think females would benefit from a skill such as bjj. Perhaps judo. Teaching how to get away when someone grabs your arm/arms or whole upper body or pins you to the floor.

Males usually end up in a stand up situation so the likelihood is you'll get punched. If you can't take a punch or defend against one coming I think it can be game over a bit quicker. Get punched to the floor, hope they try to get on top to continue pinching..you've got half a chance against defending that..if they stay on their feet you are toast

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Ah, the old ones are always the best (jokes, that is!)

My two sons did Tae Kwon Do up to about half way to black belt but a rumoured scandal involving the top man in Cardiff put an end to it.
    One of them has just started his 4-year-old son in it.
    I know the discipline and commitment helped my lads growing up, and I expect the same with my grandson.