+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martial Arts

International

Re: Martial Arts

Judo in school stopped at about 16 as a bit boring for me long term, found it useful when needed, which was very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I used to play ludo a lot as a kid.
    I used to play Llandudno.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I used to play Llandudno.
    Just off Greenway in Rumney

What does being a brown belt in judo entail?

Is that all classroom based or competition?

I guess it's one thing putting it into practice nice and passively with your training buddies and actually using it in a competitive environment where you need to remember what you've learned and implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I guess it's one thing putting it into practice nice and passively with your training buddies and actually using it in a competitive environment where you need to remember what you've learned and implement it.
    All combat codes are based around speed, awareness and surprise. They are also all about defence first, attack second.
    If you have some sort of martial art/boxing training, then it will come as second nature to implement it, if you find yourself in a dangerous or threatening situation.
    I’m this day and age, i would recommend all youngsters male and female get some form of self defence lessons if they are able.

it was ( not sure about now, but I guess its the same ) at grading sessions, so you have a higher grade sensei ( teacher ) come in ( at the lower end it will be your clubs sensei ) you would go through a session, Drills and training, then get a few fights on with people around the same standard as you, as you progressed, you would be expected to know the Japanese words for everything you did, so it did become more fight based and often at regional type of places when they could gather similar graded students from different clubs, these would often be area based competitions ( which were weight based ) but normally a similar grading

For those that have done boxing I think there's an advantage.

Having thought about it a bit, I think females would benefit from a skill such as bjj. Perhaps judo. Teaching how to get away when someone grabs your arm/arms or whole upper body or pins you to the floor.

Males usually end up in a stand up situation so the likelihood is you'll get punched. If you can't take a punch or defend against one coming I think it can be game over a bit quicker. Get punched to the floor, hope they try to get on top to continue pinching..you've got half a chance against defending that..if they stay on their feet you are toast
    ah I see you've met my ex wife

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    ah I see you've met my ex wife

Nice replies WT and Matt 👍

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My two sons did Tae Kwon Do up to about half way to black belt but a rumoured scandal involving the top man in Cardiff put an end to it.
    One of them has just started his 4-year-old son in it.
    I know the discipline and commitment helped my lads growing up, and I expect the same with my grandson.
    My youngest started it when he was 8, just over 18 months in and he’s going for his blue end belt this weekend. He loves it. Wish I’d done something like it as a kid, might have helped me get out of some right sticky situations….. The thought he might be able to defend himself quite well if he needed too is good also, watching the black belts sparring I get the feeling they could quite easily.