+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical battle won by us today I thought

Physical battle won by us today I thought

People have talked about tactics but I think we won that game today by simply being more up for it

Bristol City couldn't deal with our physical side I thought ?

Re: Physical battle won by us today I thought

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People have talked about tactics but I think we won that game today by simply being more up for it

It was one of the least physical derbies I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bristol were the dirtier side, constantly fouling anyone who turned a player.

It was not a physically hard game though. I agree with Eric.

Did you watch the same game has most of us

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    He looks at everything through 1980 lenses haha

It's not our Derby

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post

You are both in a care home , knitting

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    We outmuscled them

They were powder puff

Thought we out played them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Thought we out played them.
    That too

That too
    What part of the ground are you in, Sludge?

I thought they were way more physical than us. I very surprised no yellows were shown. Mehmeti was a dirty sod. And Vyner put himself about. We were just the better team on the day. They can have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What part of the ground are you in, Sludge?
    Wherever I want , I don't have a season ticket

I was in the level 4 enormodome seats today

We outmuscled them

They were powder puff
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but brute physicality in the Championship is in decline. Teams are more likely to keep their shape than dive in with tackles, and it's all about percentages. The days of a midfield enforcer are becoming a distant memory. In the Championship managers want midfielders who can keep hold of the ball above reckless tacklers who try and put themselves about.

Wherever I want , I don't have a season ticket

I was in the level 4 enormodome seats today

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but brute physicality in the Championship is in decline. Teams are more likely to keep their shape than dive in with tackles, and it's all about percentages. The days of a midfield enforcer are becoming a distant memory. In the Championship managers want midfielders who can keep hold of the ball above reckless tacklers who try and put themselves about.
    How do you know what championship managers want ?

The perfect midfield player is one who can tackle well and distribute , I don't want someone running round in a straw skirt preaching peace and love

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post

Agreed. They were a dirty side and I would hardly term our team as physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Agreed. They were a dirty side and I would hardly term our team as physical.
    We ain't but we stepped up today

Ralls made up for a lack of quality with bite

He was well up for it

The perfect midfield player is one who can tackle well and distribute , I don't want someone running round in a straw skirt preaching peace and love
    Statistically players are less inclined to tackle than they were a decade ago and, in more recent times, that decline is growing more quickly. Teams would rather keep a shape than dive in with tackles. That is a definite.

Statisticians are at work in the Championship and elsewhere. Teams are less likely to shoot from outside the box as the rewards are generally so low. Teams are better off keeping possesion not blazing one over the bar aimlessly. The days of hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity are at an end. Long balls need to be calculated risks aimed at forcing an opening, not just lumped forward aimlessly.

Teams near the foot of the Championship are better passing sides than the top sides in the division 20 years ago. They're also less likely to dive in with needless challenges.

Statistically players are less inclined to tackle than they were a decade ago and, in more recent times, that decline is growing more quickly. Teams would rather keep a shape than dive in with tackles. That is a definite.

Statisticians are at work in the Championship and elsewhere. Teams are less likely to shoot from outside the box as the rewards are generally so low. Teams are better off keeping possesion not blazing one over the bar aimlessly. The days of hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity are at an end. Long balls need to be calculated risks aimed at forcing an opening, not just lumped forward aimlessly.

Teams near the foot of the Championship are better passing sides than the top sides in the division 20 years ago. They're also less likely to dive in with needless challenges.
    What book did you get all that out of ?

I'm guessing he read it on the Internet. But so what if he got if from a book? You don't like books now? Do you think books about football have become biased and politicized? Do you feel marginalized by facts?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm guessing he read it on the Internet. But so what if he got if from a book? You don't like books now? Do you think books about football have become biased and politicized? Do you feel marginalized by facts?
    Ouch. Tad on the harsh side?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Lies , Damned Lies and Statistics

Football is for simple people

And I like my football simple

When you said... "The perfect midfield player is one who can tackle well and distribute". - I thought you were going to conclude by saying "just like Willie Boland"!

NB: For those of you who don't know, Sludge idolised Boland, along with that other midfield colossus Mark Bonner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    When you said... "The perfect midfield player is one who can tackle well and distribute". - I thought you were going to conclude by saying "just like Willie Boland"!

NB: For those of you who don't know, Sludge idolised Boland, along with that other midfield colossus Mark Bonner.
    I did indeed

Giants