+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Physical battle won by us today I thought

Re: Physical battle won by us today I thought

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What book did you get all that out of ?
    None. I did my own little study using widely available stats comparing 3 seasons. It took about an hour and I just compared several stats, like pass accuracy, number of long and short passes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    None. I did my own little study using widely available stats comparing 3 seasons. It took about an hour and I just compared several stats, like pass accuracy, number of long and short passes etc.
    And that told you that championship managers like all round footballers ?

And that told you that championship managers like all round footballers ?
    Where have I said they like all-round footballers? I've mentioned trends that are happening. There's no doubt that players such as target men and midfield enforcers are in decline, players need to have more to their game than just brute force, but that's not to say they don't exist or can't be used effectively. Stats are so widely used nowadays by all accounts that low percentage football is being shyed away from.

5 years ago I can't recall ever hearing about a team's shape, yet I seem to hear that a lot nowadays. The number of tackles is down from a decade ago and the number of successful dribbles is up. I don't hear so much about poor disciplinary records, or players who regularly get booked and suspended. I suspect that's why there's often a lack of excitement in football games - teams are pretty well drilled, would rather keep the ball than waste it and games can become a stalemate.

Where have I said they like all-round footballers? I've mentioned trends that are happening. There's no doubt that players such as target men and midfield enforcers are in decline, players need to have more to their game than just brute force, but that's not to say they don't exist or can't be used effectively. Stats are so widely used nowadays by all accounts that low percentage football is being shyed away from.

5 years ago I can't recall ever hearing about a team's shape, yet I seem to hear that a lot nowadays. The number of tackles is down from a decade ago and the number of successful dribbles is up. I don't hear so much about poor disciplinary records, or players who regularly get booked and suspended. I suspect that's why there's often a lack of excitement in football games - teams are pretty well drilled, would rather keep the ball than waste it and games can become a stalemate.
    You said that championship managers want players who can keep hold of the ball

You meant I think it's fair to say no more Willie Bolands

Having read that I wondered how much ball we had against Bristol City, just 39%, surprised me.

You said that championship managers want players who can keep hold of the ball

You meant I think it's fair to say no more Willie Bolands
    Willie Boland is a bit of an extreme example as he was generally useless with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Having read that I wondered how much ball we had against Bristol City, just 39%, surprised me.
    Possession stats are among the most useless in football. Swanselona demonstrate that.

Willie Boland is a bit of an extreme example as he was generally useless with the ball.
    Don't Diss An Enigma

Don't Diss An Enigma
    He was only an enigma for one person.

He was only an enigma for one person.
    He's got a fan club

He's got a fan club