+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dunfermline v Falkirk

Dunfermline v Falkirk

Nearly 10,000 there in the third tier. Dunfermline have the best badge in British football and for that reason alone they are worth following.

It's a shame Rangers and Celtic are so dominant as it's a pretty healthy and competitive league system below them.

Re: Dunfermline v Falkirk

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nearly 10,000 there in the third tier. Dunfermline have the best badge in British football and for that reason alone they are worth following.

It's a shame Rangers and Celtic are so dominant as it's a pretty healthy and competitive league system below them.
    It is a bit of a local derby mind.

That's a 'derby' game of sorts. I'm not sure how big a rivalry is though?

I've been to Dunfermline match, pissed down with the coldest rain (apart from Aberdeen) I've ever experienced.

The team run onto the pitch 'Into the Valley' the Skids.

They got my appreciation for that.

My Scottish butties tell me Scotland has the highest attendances per capita every season. I've done a few Scottish grounds and their non league (junior football) teams attract crowds far in excess the Welsh Premier League and some English non league clubs can get through the gates.

Dunfermline beat us 6-1 in 1999 didn't they.

It's funny, there's so much information on line now, but since I stopped getting a Sunday paper, I'm right out of touch with what's happening in things like Leagues One and Two and the Scottish second tier and below. As it happens, I looked at the table for the Scottish Championship a few days ago and saw that Queens Park are top (are they still an amateur club?) and Arbroath,who came so close to promotion to the Premier League last season, are bottom - I'd didn't have a clue Cove Rangers were now playing at that level either.

Whilst working for the MoD I was posted to Rosyth in the mid-1980s and lived in digs in Dunfermline. I used to attend their home games and travelled to see their away games at places like Stenhousemuir, Cowdenbeath and Kirkcaldy (Raith Rovers). I also took the opportunity to see a Hibs v Rangers game whilst up in Scotland.
    As a result, I sometimes keep an eye on the Pars' results, just as I do regarding Charlton, Gladbach, Welling and Taunton after living in those places and attending occasional home games.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

It's funny, there's so much information on line now, but since I stopped getting a Sunday paper, I'm right out of touch with what's happening in things like Leagues One and Two and the Scottish second tier and below. As it happens, I looked at the table for the Scottish Championship a few days ago and saw that Queens Park are top (are they still an amateur club?) and Arbroath,who came so close to promotion to the Premier League last season, are bottom - I'd didn't have a clue Cove Rangers were now playing at that level either.
    Scottish Championship is very interesting this season. At least five teams in with a shout of automatic promotion and then you have the play offs below that

As you mention, Queens Park are top (their best season for many many decades) but they did go professional a few years ago and have left Hampden to go to 'lesser Hampden' next door. They are converting that into a ground holding around 2,000 which is absurdly small so presumably promotion would mean some games at Hampden. That would be amazing.

For most of this season they have been playing at Stenhousmuir whilst Lesser Hampden is redeveloped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...pionship/table

Aye, I had a read of the Scottish tables recently. Was an eye opener to see who were involved, I think me & you are of an age when as youngsters we were encyclopaedias of football, devouring all & sundry regarding the game. Is it age that narrows the breadth of knowledge? Or has the sheer volume of information at your fingertips overwhelmed us. I’ve worked with football mad youngsters fairly recently, lads late teens/early 20s, they know their Premier League stats and City related stuff but their wider knowledge of clubs, history of the game etc is sadly lacking. I tell them tales and stats from years ago that they scarcely believe until Google wades into the conversation. I still hanker for Third Lanark(shire rifles)

Also a certain age......used to devour Charlie Buchan's Football monthly.....and also - I think it was called Football star or something - which focused on South American football - always used to devour anything regarding River Plate!!!! Scottish wise I always look out for Raith Rovers, Hamilton Academicals and Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Aye, I had a read of the Scottish tables recently. Was an eye opener to see who were involved, I think me & you are of an age when as youngsters we were encyclopaedias of football, devouring all & sundry regarding the game. Is it age that narrows the breadth of knowledge? Or has the sheer volume of information at your fingertips overwhelmed us. I’ve worked with football mad youngsters fairly recently, lads late teens/early 20s, they know their Premier League stats and City related stuff but their wider knowledge of clubs, history of the game etc is sadly lacking. I tell them tales and stats from years ago that they scarcely believe until Google wades into the conversation. I still hanker for Third Lanark(shire rifles)
    I had a Sunday ritual of studying all of the league tables (even non league) in the papers after the Saturday fixtures. I’d also read the new Rothman’s every year virtually from cover to cover - I still get it now, but I only use it now to look things up. Up to my forties, I could automatically answer who the manager was and the name of the ground of every Football League club - now, I struggle to name all of the managers in the Premier League.

I think I’d still continue with my Sunday morning ritual if I was still buying Sunday papers, but there’s not the motivation, and possibly memory capacity, to be the same football nerd I was as a young man. Third Lanark is the first club I can remember going bust and Clydebank packed up soon afterwards didn’t they.

One other thing, I think I’ve mentioned before on here that I believe I owe my good knowledge of English and, to a lesser extent, Scottish geography almost entirely to football.

I had a Sunday ritual of studying all of the league tables (even non league) in the papers after the Saturday fixtures. I’d also read the new Rothman’s every year virtually from cover to cover - I still get it now, but I only use it now to look things up. Up to my forties, I could automatically answer who the manager was and the name of the ground of every Football League club - now, I struggle to name all of the managers in the Premier League.

I think I’d still continue with my Sunday morning ritual if I was still buying Sunday papers, but there’s not the motivation, and possibly memory capacity, to be the same football nerd I was as a young man. Third Lanark is the first club I can remember going bust and Clydebank packed up soon afterwards didn’t they.

One other thing, I think I’ve mentioned before on here that I believe I owe my good knowledge of English and, to a lesser extent, Scottish geography almost entirely to football.
    And world geography!! Loads of my non football related knowledge is down to my football related knowledge

Search "flashscore" in Google or download the app. You have it all at your fingertips.
    Can pick your favourite league's and team's etc.

And world geography!! Loads of my non football related knowledge is down to my football related knowledge
    My old man could probably drive to most places in the country just from having done so many away days..

I'm very similar. I have about 25 of the Rothmans books and I agree entirely on the Sunday papers.

Why don't you still get one? I love opening it up on the results page and absorbing all the scores.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Search "flashscore" in Google or download the app. You have it all at your fingertips.
    Can pick your favourite league's and team's etc.
    Thanks, just downloaded it.

I'm very similar. I have about 25 of the Rothmans books and I agree entirely on the Sunday papers.

Why don't you still get one? I love opening it up on the results page and absorbing all the scores.
    Short of going to a supermarket a few miles away at 10, I’m not sure how I could get one up here - all of the newsagents that used to be around here closed before I moved up five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    My old man could probably drive to most places in the country just from having done so many away days..
    The M62 is the pools coupon motorway. Nigh on every turn off leads to a football or ex football league town.

Short of going to a supermarket a few miles away at 10, I’m not sure how I could get one up here - all of the newsagents that used to be around here closed before I moved up five years ago.

They knew you’d stopped buying papers

Thanks, just downloaded it.
    👍

They knew you’d stopped buying papers
    I could have worded that better