Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Re: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Can tell I'm having a bad week can you
    You’re getting embroiled with Sludge again, never a good sign

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This has the potential to become a defining moment in the pathetic "culture war" that has dragged the country down for much of the last decade. After all, significant portions of the side which love to apply labels like snowflakes and woke to those with opposing views while berating examples of "cancel culture" now find themselves in a very awkward position.

Former BBC presenter Dan Walker has been in touch with Gary Lineker who has stated that he did not agree to "step back" from his Match of the Day commitments, he was told to.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...Dan-Walker-BBC

So, what is that if it is not one of the clearest examples of cancel culture you could come across?

For good or bad, this has moved on from "stop the boats" now, it's about something more fundamental than that and became so when the BBC chose to only screen an episode of David Attenborough's new series on BBC for fear of inciting "a right wing backlash".

This morning, I woke up to hear Andrew Neil of all people taking the piss by pontificating on the Lineker row. To be fair, Neil never allowed his oft stated political beliefs to influence him when he was interviewing politicians of all parties, but what he was allowed to get away with in terms of letting his own opinions be known while presenting BBC news and political output knocks anything Gary Lineker has done into a cocked hat.

For nearly a hundred years, the BBC has been able to offer a reasonable defence against charges of political bias, but these last few days have brought to a head the fact that this has changed in recent years - it's telling that James Wales had to go all the way back to John Cole (who retired from the BBC thirty one years ago!) in his attempt to try and balance the current over use of Conservative party donors, employees or consultants in senior positions at the Corporation with its use of those with a different political opinion..
    I've never heard of John Cole Bob, let alone mentioned him.

And that David Attenborough story is completely denied by the BBC too. It's an unnamed source making an unverified claim (that will make left wing readers rage and drive up clicks)

But yeah, dunno what you mean by John Cole, there?

Bit of a plot twist?

Lineker knows he shouldn't post political tweets but deliberately posts inflamatory ones to avoid tax? 🤔

The article is from a year ago but it provides background.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...d-49m-tax-bill

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Bit of a plot twist?

Lineker knows he shouldn't post political tweets but deliberately posts inflamatory ones to avoid tax? 🤔

Are you suggesting he shouldn’t Tweet his opinions, or that he is OK to do so, but doesn’t have entirely charitable motivations? Or are you just slinging anything you can find?

Bit of a plot twist?

Lineker knows he shouldn't post political tweets but deliberately posts inflamatory ones to avoid tax? ��

The problems Lineker would have in that case are D&C and RoS.

Whilst he'd be engaged to host a program, he's still under D&C with a director in his ear; "Gary, wrap p, we need to cut to next segment"

RoS fails because it's Gary Lineker being engaged to do the work. If he's ill, he's not arranging and providing a substitute to do the work, BBC do.

This kerfuffle cold also work against him, showing that he's considered by BBC to be subject to the same conditions as perm employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Are you suggesting he shouldn’t Tweet his opinions, or that he is OK to do so, but doesn’t have entirely charitable motivations? Or are you just slinging anything you can find?
    Nah I'm quite the advocate of free speech, and not just selectively so. I think his tweet was ignorant and I disagree with his opinions, but he is entitled to them.

That said, employers have other terms and rules and the BBC has one on impartiality and it does seem that this tax battle may be at least a part of the story, in him trying to define his role in order to pay less tax? Who knows, maybe it's a coincidence.

Bit of a plot twist?

Lineker knows he shouldn't post political tweets but deliberately posts inflamatory ones to avoid tax? ��

Gosh, where did you find that article, Guido?

Nah I'm quite the advocate of free speech, and not just selectively so. I think his tweet was ignorant and I disagree with his opinions, but he is entitled to them.

That said, employers have other terms and rules and the BBC has one on impartiality and it does seem that this tax battle may be at least a part of the story, in him trying to define his role in order to pay less tax? Who knows, maybe it's a coincidence.
    If you think his tweet was ignorant you haven’t read your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    If you think his tweet was ignorant you haven’t read your history.

Comparing action and talk aimed at preventing people dangerously crossing the channel illegally with Nazi rhetoric aimed at a specific demographic of German society is indeed ignorant.

I've never heard of John Cole Bob, let alone mentioned him.

And that David Attenborough story is completely denied by the BBC too. It's an unnamed source making an unverified claim (that will make left wing readers rage and drive up clicks)

But yeah, dunno what you mean by John Cole, there?
    Must have been Elwood then, sorry about that, but that doesn’t make any difference to my point. Have you got a link to where the Attenborough story has been denied as well, I can’t find anything this morning.

Alex Scott and “other pundits” have now withdrawn from today’s Football Focus - the BBC need to sort this out quickly and I don’t envy them their task.

Every Friday morning, there’s plenty of Tweets appearing detailing Fiona Bruce’s latest example of clear Tory bias on the previous night’s Question Time. For me, those accusations have some truth to them at times, but I always think what do the critics want in Bruce’s place? An obviously left wing presenter wouldn’t last long on the programme and I don’t think that would be the answer.

I mentioned Andrew Neil, I dislike him and always will, but I also mentioned that no one could plausibly accuse him of bias when interviewing politicians and you only have to recall Boris Johnson “hiding in a fridge” so to speak rather than be interviewed by Neil during the 2019 election campaign to get your proof that Conservative politicians could not rely on Neil soft pedalling when interviewing them.

That was a throwback to what the situation was like for eighty five to ninety per cent of my life - it was accepted that news and political presenters may have had their political opinions that many of the public were aware of, but, as long as they didn’t allow them to interfere with their “day jobs”, no one seemed too bothered.

This makes the BBC’s reaction to what a sports presenter has said way, way over the top and they will live to regret it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Comparing action and talk aimed at preventing people dangerously crossing the channel illegally with Nazi rhetoric aimed at a specific demographic of German society is indeed ignorant.
    "Comparing action and talk..."

No, logic, he didn't compare any 'actions' in his tweet at all.

The dehumanising language used was like that of 1930s Germany.

I think that every time a poster mentions how Gary Lineker tweeted about comparing the asylum policy to Nazi Germany it should just be met with a repost of the actual tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Must have been Elwood then, sorry about that, but that doesn’t make any difference to my point. Have you got a link to where the Attenborough story has been denied as well, I can’t find anything this morning.

Alex Scott and “other pundits” have now withdrawn from today’s Football Focus - the BBC need to sort this out quickly and I don’t envy them their task.

Every Friday morning, there’s plenty of Tweets appearing detailing Fiona Bruce’s latest example of clear Tory bias on the previous night’s Question Time. For me, those accusations have some truth to them at times, but I always think what do the critics want in Bruce’s place? An obviously left wing presenter wouldn’t last long on the programme and I don’t think that would be the answer.

I mentioned Andrew Neil, I dislike him and always will, but I also mentioned that no one could plausibly accuse him of bias when interviewing politicians and you only have to recall Boris Johnson “hiding in a fridge” so to speak rather than be interviewed by Neil during the 2019 election campaign to get your proof that Conservative politicians could not rely on Neil soft pedalling when interviewing them.

That was a throwback to what the situation was like for eighty five to ninety per cent of my life - it was accepted that news and political presenters may have had their political opinions that many of the public were aware of, but, as long as they didn’t allow them to interfere with their “day jobs”, no one seemed too bothered.

This makes the BBC’s reaction to what a sports presenter has said way, way over the top and they will live to regret it in my opinion.
    Nah, all be forgotten in a week's time. Last week there was another steaming rant going on about something else - can't even remember what is was. Why are grown men on here getting all worked up like prissy schoolgirls ? Seems this thread went on through the night. Slept like a baby myself !

The Nazis .....A Warning From History

Great TV documentary

Chilling title

And it's telling that the likes of the Home Secretary and her rabid right wing followers use such inflammatory language and lies about the situation yet when in a democratic society when it's challenged they use their influence to try and gag people ......which is the same tactic they accuse the snowflakes of ....

I say bollocks to them

Bauverman is a power hungry back stabber who brings up her husbands Jewish anncestry to plead ......oh well I can't be extremist then can I ! ?

Of course you can and you are

He didn't do that

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Twitter. It's bollocks really. Lineker has 8.7million 'followers' and has his opinion. Bloke down pub doesn't have twitter or any followers and he has his opinion. Doesn't make Lineker's opinion any more valid than the bloke down the pub. Sadly whilst it's easy to get away from the bloke in the pub, it's a lot harder to get away from Lineker and his 'thoughts'..
    Sleep tight, hun x

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Nazis .....A Warning From History

Great TV documentary

Chilling title

And it's telling that the likes of the Home Secretary and her rabid right wing followers use such inflammatory language and lies about the situation yet when in a democratic society when it's challenged they use their influence to try and gag people ......which is the same tactic they accuse the snowflakes of ....

I say bollocks to them

Bauverman is a power hungry back stabber who brings up her husbands Jewish anncestry to plead ......oh well I can't be extremist then can I ! ?

Of course you can and you are
    I'm not saying this and other analogies are not a monumental load of bollocks, but you do realize that Jews were not desperate to enter Germany during the rise of the nazis, right? indeed, they fled for their lives.

That isn't happening here. If the analogy were remotely true (it isn't) then people wouldn't be trying to come here.

Colin Murray’s Fighting Talk has been replaced by an episode of Chris Kamara’s Podcast and it appears there are doubts about 5 Live’s sports coverage this afternoon.

A specific demographic of German society? Do you mean the Jews? The Slavs? The gypsies? The Jehovah’s? The communists? The disabled? The gays? Which?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A specific demographic of German society? Do you mean the Jews? The Slavs? The gypsies? The Jehovah’s? The communists? The disabled? The gays? Which?
    Remind us who the focus of Mein Kampf were?

"If at the beginning of the war and during the war twelve or fifteen thousand of these Hebrew corrupters of the nation had been subjected to poison gas, such as had to be endured in the field by hundreds of thousands of our very best German workers of all classes and professions, then the sacrifice of millions at the front would not have been in vain."

Just one of many examples, including the backing for the Protocols bs.

Jew hate was the driver which fanned out to then include others not conforming to the Nazi ideal.

Re: A bonkers country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    “From accusations of corruption in the bidding process to the treatment of migrant workers who've built the stadiums where many lost their lives. Homosexuality is illegal here and women's rights are also in the spotlight. Also the decision to switch the tournament from summer to winter. Against that back drop, there is a tournament to be played here that will be watched and enjoyed around the world. Stick to football say FIFA, well we will - for a couple of minutes at least."

Gary Lineker before and during the opening ceremony on the Beeb. Placid stuff when you consider what goes on in Qatar. Much like his comments which have caused such response.
    Exactly, Lineker is a two faced weasel of a shit. Be nice if he gave the vast amount he earned to a refugee charity. Oh, and opened his mansion up to house and feed a few of these refugees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Exactly, Lineker is a two faced weasel of a shit. Be nice if he gave the vast amount he earned to a refugee charity. Oh, and opened his mansion up to house and feed a few of these refugees as well.
    He has

No Sport on Five at the moment, just another podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ...........like prissy schoolgirls ?
    (negative) stereotyping of young women. No need.

Just use adjectives without making clumsy comparisons. Should do the job.

Well he's brought attention to government policy so good for him

I hope that the tories are put through the mixer

They probably reckon they push everything through and win loads of votes

Oh dear