+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Re: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Give them time; it's early days yet!
    Didn't you support the people trying to overturn a democratic referendum result? Isn't that a bit, ya know, fascisty? It does make me question whether such people are the best judges of liberal democracies.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Did Lineker say the situation in the UK resembles that of Germany in the 1930s?

I didn’t read that. I don’t think he said that.

He said the language used by the Home Secretary and others resembles that used in Germany in the 1930s to demonise ‘others’.

He is right.
    Jon, you do normally make reasoned posts even if I don't always agree with you, but with respect, you are not doing so here.

We all know what people are saying when they accuse someone of apeing 1930s Germany. They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history.

I do support his right to say what he wants, but it was a stupid and ignorant comment.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Didn't you support the people trying to overturn a democratic referendum result? Isn't that a bit, ya know, fascisty? It does make me question whether such people are the best judges of liberal democracies.
    I supported the overthrow of a morally flawed referendum initiated for bogus reasons and hugely disingenuous.

Had this referendum been set up on a truly democratic basis I would have respected the result. However, I have no time for referenda anyway, we are a Parliamentary Democracy and Parliament should have the exclusive right to make such momentous decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I supported the overthrow of a morally flawed referendum initiated for bogus reasons and hugely disingenuous.

Had this referendum been set up on a truly democratic basis I would have respected the result. However, I have no time for referenda anyway, we are a Parliamentary Democracy and Parliament should have the exclusive right to make such momentous decisions.
    I agree that referenda should be used sparingly, but they should also be respected. But thanks for clarifying that it's okay if you don't like it, it's fine to dismiss the result.

What a hypocrite 😂.

Like I said, not the best to cast judgment on the state of liberal democracies.

Jon, you do normally make reasoned posts even if I don't always agree with you, but with respect, you are not doing so here.

We all know what people are saying when they accuse someone of apeing 1930s Germany. They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history.

I do support his right to say what he wants, but it was a stupid and ignorant comment.
    James you're really missing the point on this one.

Creating the environment in which state sponsored murder is carried out does not happen overnight. There are antecedents which lead the way step by step. The dehumanising and scapegoating of a minority ethnicities is the very first part of the process.

No-one, and certainly not Lineker, was suggesting our Government are acting like the Nazis. But there are earnings from history and which should be heeded because dark forces can be unleashed very easily.

Lineker was right to warn of the dangers of inflammatory language which could cause tragedy if care is not taken. Surely it is worthy of reflection.

"They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history. "

Or they are simply saying that the language that they used was not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s.

Which, coincidentally, is *literally* what he said.

This won't last. He's a private citizen and allowed to have opinions.

I agree that referenda should be used sparingly, but they should also be respected. But thanks for clarifying that it's okay if you don't like it, it's fine to dismiss the result.

What a hypocrite 😂.

Like I said, not the best to cast judgment on the state of liberal democracies.
    Good God man what's hypocritical about what I said?

I don't agree with referenda and I don't think they're democratic. As I said we live in a Parliamentary Democracy. I'm happy to leave decisions which are beyond the scope of ordinary people to parliamentarians. Otherwise why don't we just settle everything by constant referenda?

I'm not sure much of this is true. All TV news stations need to be impartial in the UK. There are always reports of "plants" in programmes like QT on both sides, and on Brexit (as one example) the ratio of panellists was always disproportionately against the govt position. Are political editors conservative? I don't think so. I don't think that can be said of the likes of Lewis Goodall etc.

In all honesty, I think the BBC generally does impartiality well. Loons on both sides will criticise it, which is probably a sign it's doing okay.

Ultimately inpartiality is critical to our faith in it and if Lineker has been warned numerous times by his employer and carried on, then some action was probably inevitable.

I think his tweet was preposterous, ignorant and offensive but I do think he has a right to say it, but I also understand the BBCs position here.

Hopefully one positive is that this knee jerk desire to 'cancel' people will calm down a little bit on future.
    David Cameron and others had meetings with Rupert Murdoch while in opposition is fact. His announcement to clip the wings of the BBC (a Murdoch aim) and Murdoch's new-found support for the Conservatives in 2009 must just be a mere coincidence. The government has suggested removing the licence fee - what sort of effect would holding such an axe have? Total impartiality?

You are wrong to say TV news stations need to be unbiased. GB News certainly isn't unbiased. A commercial broadcaster can report on what it wants in the same way Fox news in America broadcasts utter bollocks every day.

Going back to Channel 4, it is fact that the government have been hell bent on selling it. Do you think it would be so bothered had Channel 4 not been so critical of some of the things the government have done? If there's one broadcaster who is not afraid to challenge the government it is Channel 4.

Anyway, back to Lineker's tweet, he compares government language with that used in 1930s Germany to describe immigrants. When you read some of the stuff said by Braverman and others, nobody can say he's talking nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I never watch Match of the Day as I have no interest in the Premier League but this turn of events could have interesting consequences. Suppose those who do watch MOTD discover that actually having no pundits is not a bad thing and Lineker et al are rather superfluous. The BBC could dispose of their services and save quite a bit of cash in the process. Obviously the likes of SKY would be happy to take him off their hands I would imagine.

Incidentally whilst I agree Lineker has every right to express his personal opinion what he said was totally idiotic. There is no way the current situation resembles Germany in the 1930's. If it did, we would be "disposing" of boat people very shortly after they arrive in the UK.
    He said the language of the 30s not the actions of the 40s.

Usually enjoy watching motd (prob a bit old fashioned in that respect) but with it now just being straightforward highlights will just chuck sky on.

Apart from the news I guess there’s nothing else on bbc now

More news - All the BBC commentators have decided not to commentate on MOTD tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    He said the language of the 30s not the actions of the 40s.
    Absolutely, but there are too many who are too stupid to realise this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    "They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history. "

Or they are simply saying that the language that they used was not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s.

Which, coincidentally, is *literally* what he said.
    It is completely dissimilar when context is considered. Because Jews were fleeing Nazi Germany because they ended up getting slaughtered for their race/religion.

In the UK we are talking about people coming TO the UK (and stopping abuse of that system).

The differences are so stark that to make the analogy is totally ignorant. I suspect you know that. Labour will be no different when in power. They will have to talk tough on this, and when they do, that also will not be a sign of some impending fascist takeover.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It's all a bit nuts.
    Like the horse is dictating where the jockey can go....
    Ultimately, that shit's going to fail, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The Nazis started murdering people in the early 1930s.

That has nothing to do with what Lineker tweeted, though.

Yep, it probably reinforces the point that there is a lot to be learned from history, lest we forget.

With the commentators now dropping out all that’s needed is for the players not to create any highlights. If only city were still in the top flight

Yup, like those who thought that Corbyn was a 'Trot' and would have the Lumpen in thrown into gulags if he were to be elected, there were people who were to stupid to understand that would never happen, but it was the narrative for a time, and it worked.

It is completely dissimilar when context is considered. Because Jews were fleeing Nazi Germany because they ended up getting slaughtered for their race/religion.

In the UK we are talking about people coming TO the UK (and stopping abuse of that system).

The differences are so stark that to make the analogy is totally ignorant. I suspect you know that. Labour will be no different when in power. They will have to talk tough on this, and when they do, that also will not be a sign of some impending fascist takeover.
    YOU'RE making that analogy James, not Gary Lineker.

You've made it all up in your head and created your own furore.

The dehumanising language that was used by the government the other day was absolutely reminiscent of something that would have been used 1930s Germany.

Keep harking on about the differences in the situations all you like as Linker didn't make any comparisons other than to criticise the language being used.

I think deep down you actually know this.

With language?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, like those who thought that Corbyn was a 'Trot' and would have the Lumpen in thrown into gulags if he were to be elected, there were people who were to stupid to understand that would never happen, but it was the narrative for a time, and it worked.
    Anyone who thought that was wrong. But that is EXACTLY the tactic people are deploying now - using an extreme example to try to make a point.

Saying Corbyn will make Britain communist - Wrong
    Saying the vaccine is like the Holocaust - Wrong
    Saying current policy is like the Nazis - Wrong.

It's all fkn stupid. World war 2 analogies nearly always are.

Who is saying this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    With language?!
    Hang on are you now saying language doesn't matter?!

Nope..I'm replying to whoever it was that said the comments were about the 1930s not actions in the 1940...but the Nazis started murdering people in the 1930s.

Anyone who thought that was wrong. But that is EXACTLY the tactic people are deploying now - using an extreme example to try to make a point.

Saying Corbyn will make Britain communist - Wrong
    Saying the vaccine is like the Holocaust - Wrong

It's all fkn stupid. World war 2 analogies nearly always are.
    Who said the "current policy is like the Nazis"?