+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parents

Parents

Why are so many of them so ****ing shit?

I do absolutely everything I can to ensure mine gets brought up in a happy environment, she's comfortable talking to me up here and her mum and dad down there...we all do everything that we can to ensure she is given the best possible chance in life.

And being honest, it's not really that hard to do. Nobody deserves a reward for looking after their own kids, if you bring them up right it can be really ****ing easy as they tend to work with you as they get older and can see you've got their best interest at heart, so why do so many people fail so badly at this?

I'm not talking about difficult kids, you get them, I'm on about the people that can't be arsed to parent. Rather get in from work and watch 5 hours of TV after work and spend their money on fags and booze, never help with homework and just palm the kids off on their consoles and tablets.

What's all that about?

Re: Parents

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    just palm the kids off on their consoles and tablets
    Pretty sure that's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Pretty sure that's illegal.
    Bang goes the thread.

No thoughts on it?

I do absolutely everything I can to ensure mine gets brought up in a happy environment, she's comfortable talking to me up here and her mum and dad down there...we all do everything that we can to ensure she is given the best possible chance in life.

And being honest, it's not really that hard to do. Nobody deserves a reward for looking after their own kids, if you bring them up right it can be really ****ing easy as they tend to work with you as they get older and can see you've got their best interest at heart, so why do so many people fail so badly at this?

I'm not talking about difficult kids, you get them, I'm on about the people that can't be arsed to parent. Rather get in from work and watch 5 hours of TV after work and spend their money on fags and booze, never help with homework and just palm the kids off on their consoles and tablets.

What's all that about?
    I totally agree.
    My 4 are adults now and all are "kids" to be proud of - and my 2 grandsons look like turning out well, too.
    But my mrs works in a school, and she says many of the parents just don't seem to care - resulting in some little horrors running riot during the day.

Bang goes the thread.

No thoughts on it?
    Yes. There are lazy parents of course but the whole post smacked of you being holier than thou.

This thread could go anyway. I’ve got 4 boys, now between 24 & 38 and I’d change lots of things now I’m decades older. For sure we could have done many things better. One person’s perfect parent is different to another.

everyone's idea of good parenting is different though, some people slog their guts out to earn more so they can spend a fortune they don't have on ridiculous Christmas gifts like PS5 etc anything to make the kids happy
    and they do everything for their kids, cooking cleaning helping with homework etc
    my partner is Chinese - and to her that would be extremely bad parenting, her kid is expected to clean up after himself and make himself breakfast, needs to manage his own homework and make sure it is all completed and if she thinks it's not done to a high enough standard she'd make him do it again, or if he hasn't got "enough" homework she will buy some more exercise books for him to study.
    if he does something wrong then she's super strict on him.
    the worst thing you can do as a Chinese parent is to be too soft on your kids, it's easier for you in the short term but it doesn't benefit the kid in the long term

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes. There are lazy parents of course but the whole post smacked of you being holier than thou.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I totally agree.
    My 4 are adults now and all are "kids" to be proud of - and my 2 grandsons look like turning out well, too.
    But my mrs works in a school, and she says many of the parents just don't seem to care - resulting in some little horrors running riot during the day.
    You've only got to walk about your community to see them..

I just think giving your kids a steady environment and giving them encouragement etc is so easy to do.

Rjk, I know what you mean, but not really what I was getting at tbh 👍

Why?
    Come on the ln Eric, what were you insinuating here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    everyone's idea of good parenting is different though, some people slog their guts out to earn more so they can spend a fortune they don't have on ridiculous Christmas gifts like PS5 etc anything to make the kids happy
    and they do everything for their kids, cooking cleaning helping with homework etc
    my partner is Chinese - and to her that would be extremely bad parenting, her kid is expected to clean up after himself and make himself breakfast, needs to manage his own homework and make sure it is all completed and if she thinks it's not done to a high enough standard she'd make him do it again, or if he hasn't got "enough" homework she will buy some more exercise books for him to study.
    if he does something wrong then she's super strict on him.
    the worst thing you can do as a Chinese parent is to be too soft on your kids, it's easier for you in the short term but it doesn't benefit the kid in the long term
    My wife is Thai and is the same(!) Maybe it's a culture thing. Despite my longevity my two boys of ten and four are being brought up to be polite and to appreciate the value of things......and the elder to clear away, make his bed properly etc. They don't want for anything but do not over-indulge them. Sadly (but also perhaps a blessing...) my eldest shows no signs of enthusiasm for CCFC (or any other team come to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    This thread could go anyway. I’ve got 4 boys, now between 24 & 38 and I’d change lots of things now I’m decades older. For sure we could have done many things better. One person’s perfect parent is different to another.
    Do you find the way you brought them up changed with the younger ones?
    I have three, similar ages to yours. Looking back we didn't really know what we were doing with the first, kind of learning as we went along. By the time e had the third we had got the hang of it.

This is one of the biggest give yourself a pat on the back threads I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    This is one of the biggest give yourself a pat on the back threads I've ever read.
    I didn't even have to read your post once I saw your name to know it was going to be negative 👍

What's all that about?
    I have two, 30 & 40 respectively and couldn't be any prouder of the pair of them. Working away for periods when they they born, very young, their mother is the one who steered them into who they are, I'll duck the nub of your point, there are so many reasons IMO why some parenting isn't what it could be but the only reason I'd put my opinion to, is that the nuclear family has been deliberately destroyed. (It's political and I'm not going there).

What really pisses me off is going down to the doctors surgery for an appointment

A parent or parents with a kid or couple of kids running around screaming like we all know kids can .....and it's really annoying I am sure we can agree

A decent parent lays the law down in a good way to that kid , gives them attention , praises them and things generally calm down , everyone's happy

But so often the parent does nothing or sits there on their mobile bloody phones

I sometimes wonder why some people become parents if they can't bring them up

Everyone has different values and views on this, plenty of divorces to back it up too….
    It’s a fine balance between spoiling, doing stuff for them and letting them learn how to do stuff themselves. Never judge anyone’s parenting ways….personally I love it and have time to give them but many don’t and have many stresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I have two, 30 & 40 respectively and couldn't be any prouder of the pair of them. Working away for periods when they they born, very young, their mother is the one who steered them into who they are, I'll duck the nub of your point, there are so many reasons IMO why some parenting isn't what it could be but the only reason I'd put my opinion to, is that the nuclear family has been deliberately destroyed. (It's political and I'm not going there).
    I'm not perfect. Lived far from a clean life, but one thing I can always say is the kid has always come first.

I just think it is so easy, it's got to be easier to put the effort in as you're more likely to get a "good kid" who will in turn be easier to parent..I think by being lazy it creates a situation where the kid may not behave how people want which in turn makes it harder to parent.

I just can't get my head around people not wanting to make the effort.

I have also worked away, difficult with weekends as well, but fair play to you 👍

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Everyone has different values and views on this, plenty of divorces to back it up too….
    It’s a fine balance between spoiling, doing stuff for them and letting them learn how to do stuff themselves. Never judge anyone’s parenting ways….personally I love it and have time to give them but many don’t and have many stresses.
    If you have children it's your responsibility to do your best to be a good parent

It's a job I couldn't do and I am glad I don't have kids

I didn't even have to read your post once I saw your name to know it was going to be negative 👍
    Don't you think the person to judge whether you are a good parent isn't you it's your child.
    Like every other comment you ever make on here it is full of self-righteousness .
    You and your ilk have made this message board full of shite.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    There's nothing wrong with giving yourself a oat on the back occasionally. In fact, it's probably good for your mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What really pisses me off is going down to the doctors surgery for an appointment

A parent or parents with a kid or couple of kids running around screaming like we all know kids can .....and it's really annoying I am sure we can agree

A decent parent lays the law down in a good way to that kid , gives them attention , praises them and things generally calm down , everyone's happy

But so often the parent does nothing or sits there on their mobile bloody phones

I sometimes wonder why some people become parents if they can't bring them up
    No doubt that it does happen, but you could also consider that the kid's behaviour might be down to autism and inability to cope with certain situations. That trip to the GP could be the first time the parent feels brave enough to consider that possibility, so there's potentially 2 sides to every story.

I hate kids, they are horrible little things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I hate kids, they are horrible little things.
    I thought you were still calling them classmates? They being nasty again?

Parenting can be difficult, and sometimes you have to take the lazy option if you want an easier life. My Boy was ****ing nuts when he was small, sure it was ADHD or something similar, anyway, i used to sit him in the foot well of the passenger seat in the car and throw Haribo sweets at him to keep him quiet. I've always prided myself on finding a solution.