+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etete-Is There a Player in Him?

Etete-Is There a Player in Him?

From what i have seen of him he has some good traits. He's not stupid in my opinion, he has a brain on him, he plays with his head up and is aware of what and who is around him, and he is brave, doesn't shit anything, doesn't go missing. I like that kind of honesty in a player.

The sticking point, in my opinion, is what kind of striker is he? He has no chance of playing anywhere else, that would not do, he doesn't have the attributes, so it's a case of what is he likely to turn into, as a player? He's not great on the first ball in aerial terms, but his touch is decent enough. He isn't really getting himself into goal scoring positions, but sometimes, when you look at a player, they're sort of 80% in a goals coring position, there's just that little bit missing, he's almost there sometimes, but can the club get him there?

When i first saw him i thought that he was poor, but he has developed under Lamouchi, he's playing more front foot, aggressive, and i reckon that he needs that bit of luck, confidence, and we could be looking at a 10-12 goals a season striker, could be. What are peoples thoughts?

Re: Etete-Is There a Player in Him?

Like Bambi on ice for me. Needs to strengthen up. I think a season on loan in League One would do him and his confidence the world of good.

He put himself about today against a physical Preston back three and caused a defence that has a good goals against record problems - he also showed a turn of pace occasionally which I’d not noticed before. If he could maintain his first half level of play, he’s definitely got a future at this level,although I’m not sure he could become a regular 10/12 goals a season man at a club that has become something of a goal scorer’s graveyard since the likes of Chopra and Bothroyd left.

He looks better than Gestede.

He’s come on a ton these last few weeks. Very unfortunate for him (as well as us) that we’ve lost Robinson, Etete’s improvement may have been more evident had he had Robinson aiding him. Has Wickham’s arrival helped him? Training alongside an experienced striker may have opened his eyes a bit. Lamouchi’s appointment has coincided with improvements in a few players mind, Sawyers, Philogene, Ojo spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    From what i have seen of him he has some good traits. He's not stupid in my opinion, he has a brain on him, he plays with his head up and is aware of what and who is around him, and he is brave, doesn't shit anything, doesn't go missing. I like that kind of honesty in a player.

The sticking point, in my opinion, is what kind of striker is he? He has no chance of playing anywhere else, that would not do, he doesn't have the attributes, so it's a case of what is he likely to turn into, as a player? He's not great on the first ball in aerial terms, but his touch is decent enough. He isn't really getting himself into goal scoring positions, but sometimes, when you look at a player, they're sort of 80% in a goals coring position, there's just that little bit missing, he's almost there sometimes, but can the club get him there?

When i first saw him i thought that he was poor, but he has developed under Lamouchi, he's playing more front foot, aggressive, and i reckon that he needs that bit of luck, confidence, and we could be looking at a 10-12 goals a season striker, could be. What are peoples thoughts?
    Your first paragraph largely sums up how I thought after watching him today… I must have said out loud at least 3 times that “I’ve been impressed with Etete today”… the only other thing I noticed for the first time today was his speed across the ground.

My gut tells me that he needs to play with someone alongside him versus being an out and out target man…. I do think there’s a player there though and possibly a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He put himself about today against a physical Preston back three and caused a defence that has a good goals against record problems - he also showed a turn of pace occasionally which I’d not noticed before. If he could maintain his first half level of play, he’s definitely got a future at this level,although I’m not sure he could become a regular 10/12 goals a season man at a club that has become something of a goal scorer’s graveyard since the likes of Chopra and Bothroyd left.
    I should have said a 10-12 goal striker in a team that can create a fair bit more, not this one

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Your first paragraph largely sums up how I thought after watching him today… I must have said out loud at least 3 times that “I’ve been impressed with Etete today”… the only other thing I noticed for the first time today was his speed across the ground.

My gut tells me that he needs to play with someone alongside him versus being an out and out target man…. I do think there’s a player there though and possibly a pretty good one.
    Yes, he isn't the 'first' striker, is he? Although he is a no 9. He definitely needs someone around him, a player close to him. I have hopes for him, although that'll be the death of him now!

Was impressed with him today. Think he will develop into a useful striker at this level possibly more.

I think he needs the right set up and a lot of confidence. Not sure he will make it here but maybe elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Like Bambi on ice for me. Needs to strengthen up. I think a season on loan in League One would do him and his confidence the world of good.
    I saw bits of the game yesterday and he looked much better physically. Put himself about a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I saw bits of the game yesterday and he looked much better physically. Put himself about a bit.
    That’s good to hear, I didn’t see the game yesterday. Hopefully he’s learning.

I think he played really well and could turn into a decent player. I think, if we stay up and keep our “real” manager, we could do alright next season. Mid table at least. Remember that really good left back we have out injured? He was quality.

I think it is a tough one as he isn't awful but he's got 1 goal all season. He snatches at chances and I think until he sorts that, he won't make it at this level. I think he'd have benefitted from a full season in League One until Sabri came in but he's done OK. He can play, and he's not a lost cause. It would be interesting to see what could be done with a time under someone that knows what they're doing.

He is young ,with promise , needs a long run in the side.

new eddie johnson! toilet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    new eddie johnson! toilet!!
    He does remind me of a raw Gestede just cant help think that Spurs coaching staff are no mugs as they had him from 2019 to 2023.

This league is a tough one , harder than he has played in , he is only 21 , I think he deserves more time matching him with Kaba I'd say he has better control and vision of his game and Kaba is a bit past the development stage at the age of 27 ?

Lovely bit of skill but in reference to the comment above about being Bambi on ice he did injure himself doing that

Worth remembering he's only 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Lovely bit of skill but in reference to the comment above about being Bambi on ice he did injure himself doing that
    anyone heard how long he's out for?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Worth remembering he's only 21.
    yep, plenty of strikers who went on to have good careers hadn't done much by that age

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He does remind me of a raw Gestede just cant help think that Spurs coaching staff are no mugs as they had him from 2019 to 2023.

This league is a tough one , harder than he has played in , he is only 21 , I think he deserves more time matching him with Kaba I'd say he has better control and vision of his game and Kaba is a bit past the development stage at the age of 27 ?
    He's a better footballer than Gestede and with much better ball control. I think he's actually quite an intelligent player too but of course he needs to find the back of the net.

I remain confident that with perseverance, coaching and gaining confidence we could have a little gem on our hands.

ive said it before.. hes a deffender...

yes he needs a little bulking up, those legs man

dion dublin and many others made the transisition

He likes short shorts.