+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear Gary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh Dear Gary

BBC to apologize to you. Bet you didn't want that !!!

Re: Oh Dear Gary

I bet he did, and so did millions of decent people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I bet he did, and so did millions of decent people.
    Decent people. Okay Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Careful there is only one view

Whilst MOTD is a lot of fawning nonsense at times how anyone could say it's better without the commentary is beyond me

I am glad Lineker spoke out against the conservatives

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Whilst MOTD is a lot of fawning nonsense at times how anyone could say it's better without the commentary is beyond me

I am glad Lineker spoke out against the conservatives
    I get the impression that MOTD and the pundits on there are seen by the likes of The Athletic and the other journos as lightweight...... and to an extent I'd agree.

That said, I find Lineker, Wright, Shearer, Murphy and Richards to be quite a likeable bunch , with totally sound observations on the whole. Bit of a blokey, lad-banter vibe, but that's not heir fault.

When I think of the other gangs on Sky and BT etc (Carra, Neville, Keane, Souness) I think the characters on the bbc are way more palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Relax, I didn’t mean you.

Gary Barlow from Take Twat on Radio 4 later today with an appeal for homeless conservatives

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What?

why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Relax, I didn’t mean you.
    It's fine, I know you were refering to yourself.

Mods mods they're arguing again

Out of interest, why do you think he wouldnt want that? He has proven with his outside BBC work that he is popular else where and can earn much more than what the BBC are paying him. He genuinely seems to like working on MOTD

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Out of interest, why do you think he wouldnt want that? He has proven with his outside BBC work that he is popular else where and can earn much more than what the BBC are paying him. He genuinely seems to like working on MOTD
    I,m pretty certain Lineker knew what he was doing. A particularly controversial tweet - much more stronger than anything before - and the suspension and support from some quarters just added to his online status. I don't doubt he was hoping he'd get taken off permanently and head off to Sky or somewhere, where he can get even more money. Now he's being seen as holding BBC to ransom, something which the saintly Lineker wouldn't have wanted.

I,m pretty certain Lineker knew what he was doing. A particularly controversial tweet - much more stronger than anything before - and the suspension and support from some quarters just added to his online status. I don't doubt he was hoping he'd get taken off permanently and head off to Sky or somewhere, where he can get even more money. Now he's being seen as holding BBC to ransom, something which the saintly Lineker wouldn't have wanted.
    That's an insane way of viewing what happened, if you don't mind me saying. No one moves company like that, especially when they can very easily do it the normal way. And apart from a hundred other reasons why this is insane, it makes no sense to do it in March, rather than the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's an insane way of viewing what happened, if you don't mind me saying.
    In fairness, Monkfish's views on most subjects tend to appear insane. Possibly because many of them are.

I'm not sure I follow that logic - I think what you are saying is; be controversial, gain fans, get more money?

In this case though, what he has said may make him more popular with the left wing but has certainly made him less popular with the right wing.

I would argue that if simply wanted to leave his job to get more money then he should have kept his mouth shut. He would want a bidding war. Murdoch would now be more wary of appointing him to sky since, a) he is a big tory and b) so are a lot of their subscribers.

I'm not sure I follow that logic - I think what you are saying is; be controversial, gain fans, get more money?

In this case though, what he has said may make him more popular with the left wing but has certainly made him less popular with the right wing.

I would argue that if simply wanted to leave his job to get more money then he should have kept his mouth shut. He would want a bidding war. Murdoch would now be more wary of appointing him to sky since, a) he is a big tory and b) so are a lot of their subscribers.
    I think you've followed his logic exactly right.

Murdoch would now be more wary of appointing him to sky since, a) he is a big tory and b) so are a lot of their subscribers.
    You make some valid points. However, Murdoch would have no say in who Sky appointed - he sold his stake in the company in 2018.

AQM, Saturday 11th March

Why are grown men on here getting all worked up like prissy schoolgirls ?

if Lineker wanted to leave the BBC he could have just upped and left after this episode.

HMRC deemed him to be employed by the BBC whilst claiming to be an independent contract - Lineker lost the case and ordered to pay 4.6 million - the appeal is next month. He will use this claimb down by the bbc as proof he's independent - maybe all to coincidental

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    HMRC deemed him to be employed by the BBC whilst claiming to be an independent contract - Lineker lost the case and ordered to pay 4.6 million - the appeal is next month. He will use this claimb down by the bbc as proof he's independent - maybe all to coincidental
    I'm going to guess that you aren't a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm going to guess that you aren't a lawyer.
    And I'm going to guess you aren't of sound mind

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    And I'm going to guess you aren't of sound mind
    Why did it take you so long!