+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear Gary

Re: Oh Dear Gary

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I,m pretty certain Lineker knew what he was doing. A particularly controversial tweet - much more stronger than anything before - and the suspension and support from some quarters just added to his online status. I don't doubt he was hoping he'd get taken off permanently and head off to Sky or somewhere, where he can get even more money. Now he's being seen as holding BBC to ransom, something which the saintly Lineker wouldn't have wanted.
    AQM, Saturday 11th March

Why are grown men on here getting all worked up like prissy schoolgirls ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm glad he will be back on air and hopefully the BBC can clarify guidelines on all this.

One thing that has come out is this tax issue. Is everyone okay with all this tax stuff with Lineker then?

Is he not trying to pay as little tax as possible? Is that true? Is that okay? Is that what we would all do?

Isn't this the kind of tax take that is lumped into the giant figures that people claim should be collected to fund better services?
    I've no doubt there is and will be interest in St. Gary's tax position, especially now but would've been anyway prior to his recent comments about immigration.

It's just a bit of a 'reach' to put the two very different topics together and somehow reach an opinion that St. Gary strategically thought out the whole drama in an attempt to strengthen his position to evade a tax bill? He must be popular amongst the Beeb staff too as they've all supported him in his cunning plan?

What say you Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Murdoch would now be more wary of appointing him to sky since, a) he is a big tory and b) so are a lot of their subscribers.
    You make some valid points. However, Murdoch would have no say in who Sky appointed - he sold his stake in the company in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I've no doubt there is and will be interest in St. Gary's tax position, especially now but would've been anyway prior to his recent comments about immigration.

It's just a bit of a 'reach' to put the two very different topics together and somehow reach an opinion that St. Gary strategically thought out the whole drama in an attempt to strengthen his position to evade a tax bill? He must be popular amongst the Beeb staff too as they've all supported him in his cunning plan?

What say you Jim?
    I think he's probably been goading the BBC for sometime. I don't doubt he holds the views he holds but I think he has purposefully inflamed them a little to get a reaction, possibly to try and prove he is not tied to the BBC, but I don't know. Jury is out, and as such he gets the benefit of the doubt.

In terms of his tax arrangements, I think it's understandable he will do what he can to reduce his tax bill, although that does jar with me given he is pretty smug and self righteous.

Again, jury is out on it, but I shall watch with interest!

Is that a No from you then? It doesn't matter?
    Sure. It's a no from me. I think Gary should avoid paying taxes because he did a mean tweet about the people I don't like.

If he's not paying the correct amount of tax, he should. And if he's broken the law in doing so then he should be appropriately punished for it. However, I'd assume he's using the handy loopholes so many rich people and corporations enjoy using.

Ideally the tax loopholes that him and the likes of Amazon and Google take advantage of, thus robbing our country of Billions of pounds, should be closed up. Unfortunately we seem to have a government that in their near 14 years in power have put little effort into doing so. And instead of trying to recuperate these lost billions from tax avoidance, are happier to slash and cut every essential service they can instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

What say you Jim?
    Here is someone who helpfully joined those two dots.

https://order-order.com/2023/03/10/l...lion-tax-bill/

However Jimbo is on record that he reached his similar conclusions completely independently so you just have to accept that they he and Guido are equally astute when it comes to Lineker's finances and motivations I guess.

That's quite an escalation, Eric.

Unfortunately some did die several months ago. A better question is how to stop said boats, and on that there is a diversity of opinion
    Stopping the migrant boats - just some ideas that the Home Office has not pursued:

create safe and assessible legal routes, send UK immigration workers to France and other key places to process people there and FULLY participate in the cross border EU Strategy on Combatting Trafficking in Human Beings (2021-2025).

For those already in the UK, just feckin process their claims quicker... waiting years for a claims process and keeping asylum seekers in hotels is a failure of the conservative government who stripped away resources. There is no reason why claims can't happen within weeks and those who are successful can start work and paying taxes quite quickly.

These are just a few suggestions.

However, the government policy does nothing to stop people paying to get to the UK - desperate people take desperate measures. They may stop the boats but they won't stop people getting into the UK through other innovative means. In fact - what could very well happen is that people will be smuggled into the country in an even less safe way and then not even bother applying for asylum (knowing that making themselves known will result in an immediate deportation) and become what the US call 'undocumented'. Invariably this will lead to more and more people becoming outside of the systems and more likely to end up in criminality.

Like the Rwandan policy, this is ill thought out (just like their other 5 policies to stop migrant boats) - sadly Labour are offering NO humane alternative either, they are 'nearly' just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Here is someone who helpfully joined those two dots.

https://order-order.com/2023/03/10/l...lion-tax-bill/

However Jimbo is on record that he reached his similar conclusions completely independently so you just have to accept that they he and Guido are equally astute when it comes to Lineker's finances and motivations I guess.
    This is such a weird take from you, and I already mentioned this yesterday. Seems odd for you to mention such an uninteresting point again when I already told you I've been aware of Linekers taxcase for a while (maybe it was the first you heard of it?). I do recommend reading that website though; diversity of opinion is important.

It is an awfully cloudy day to have a shadow but if you are going to stay so close to me could you make yourself more useful and do some of my washing up or something?

The desperation by some to try and salvage something from the wreckage of the BBC’s farcical handling of the matter is so telling, but, sorry, this is game, set and match to Lineker - nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Sure. It's a no from me. I think Gary should avoid paying taxes because he did a mean tweet about the people I don't like.

If he's not paying the correct amount of tax, he should. And if he's broken the law in doing so then he should be appropriately punished for it. However, I'd assume he's using the handy loopholes so many rich people and corporations enjoy using.

Ideally the tax loopholes that him and the likes of Amazon and Google take advantage of, thus robbing our country of Billions of pounds, should be closed up. Unfortunately we seem to have a government that in their near 14 years in power have put little effort into doing so. And instead of trying to recuperate these lost billions from tax avoidance, are happier to slash and cut every essential service they can instead.
    I love the fact that you were accusing me of whataboutery a few minutes ago. 🤣 You are a gift Kev!

This is such a weird take from you, and I already mentioned this yesterday. Seems odd for you to mention such an uninteresting point again when I already told you I've been aware of Linekers taxcase for a while (maybe it was the first you heard of it?). I do recommend reading that website though; diversity of opinion is important.

It is an awfully cloudy day to have a shadow but if you are going to stay so close to me could you make yourself more useful and do some of my washing up or something?
    I was simply pointing out to Jordi how these two talking points got merged. It was the first I had heard of Lineker's tax case but having read both your and Guido's takes I think both your independent conclusions are equal baloney.

Another Lineker thread!

This is now just starting to follow the pattern of the various merged threads on him which Mike eventually moved to the Alternate Forum.

I presume this will go the same way.

I was simply pointing out to Jordi how these two talking points got merged. It was the first I had heard of Lineker's tax case but having read both your and Guido's takes I think both your independent conclusions are equal baloney.
    You are confused Cyril. I posted a link to a guardian article.

Baloney, who knows.. but there is literally an ongoing tax case and clearly the HMRC think either he or the BBC owes something. Am surprised you don't seem interested in it

I love the fact that you were accusing me of whataboutery a few minutes ago. �� You are a gift Kev!
    You brought up taxes and tax avoidance so I gave my thoughts on it.

Unless you can explain what tangible link there is between Lineker not paying the right amount of taxes and his comments on the government's language towards people crossing the channel then what you've done is whataboutery, something you've previously called out other posters for.

As for thinking that me pointing that out is some sort of indication I'm fine with Lineker dodging his taxes, well that's just a bizarre connection to make.

I,m pretty certain Lineker knew what he was doing. A particularly controversial tweet - much more stronger than anything before - and the suspension and support from some quarters just added to his online status. I don't doubt he was hoping he'd get taken off permanently and head off to Sky or somewhere, where he can get even more money. Now he's being seen as holding BBC to ransom, something which the saintly Lineker wouldn't have wanted.
    🤣🤣🤣 Bonkers.

Baloney, who knows.. but there is literally an ongoing tax case and clearly the HMRC think either he or the BBC owes something. Am surprised you don't seem interested in it
    Not so much.

You posted Bit of a plot twist? Lineker knows he shouldn't post political tweets but deliberately posts inflammatory ones to avoid tax? 🤔 and a year old article you remember from the Guardian and some hours earlier

Guido posted LINEKER’S BBC DEFIANCE COULD BE ABOUT SWERVING HIS £5 MILLION TAX BILL with a link to the same year old article in the Guardian.

However as you keep repeating you both joined the dots completely separately so let's move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Another Lineker thread!

This is now just starting to follow the pattern of the various merged threads on him which Mike eventually moved to the Alternate Forum.

I presume this will go the same way.
    it's football related. it's allowed

International

BBC to apologize to you. Bet you didn't want that !!!

Raised his profile with his birds

International

I'm glad he will be back on air and hopefully the BBC can clarify guidelines on all this.

One thing that has come out is this tax issue. Is everyone okay with all this tax stuff with Lineker then?

Is he not trying to pay as little tax as possible? Is that true? Is that okay? Is that what we would all do?

Isn't this the kind of tax take that is lumped into the giant figures that people claim should be collected to fund better services?
    Of course, tax avoidance is fine for Saint Lineker he's one of them!

Separate rules apply you should know that by now, double standards are perfectly acceptable and widely used in whatever discussion.

Not so much.

You posted Bit of a plot twist? Lineker knows he shouldn't post political tweets but deliberately posts inflammatory ones to avoid tax? 🤔 and a year old article you remember from the Guardian and some hours earlier

Guido posted LINEKER’S BBC DEFIANCE COULD BE ABOUT SWERVING HIS £5 MILLION TAX BILL with a link to the same year old article in the Guardian.

However as you keep repeating you both joined the dots completely separately so let's move on!
    I first came across that guardian article (I may have read it before as it is a bit old) on twitter on Saturday morning, followed by an Independent one.

It doesn't surprise me it was on Guido. I do check it most days although not normally on Saturdays as it only normally gets updated on week days.

I recommend you read it. They interrogate the rich and powerful all the time from acrosd the spectrum, and that kind of journalism is important. If that's all you read you would end up with a distorted vision of reality, but a healthy and balanced diet is important in current affairs and it's a good source for that. 👍

You're probably aware then that over 200 BBC presenters have been investigated by HMRC over historic tax payments.

And as you like plot twists, here's another suggesting many were coerced, pressured or at the very least encouraged to form their own service companies by the BBC itself to reduce its costs: https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/a...vice-companies. I believe the tribunal accepted they were compelled by the BBC to do so, but they lost cases anyway.

If he's done something wrong I'm he'll face the music if proven - and rightly so.

I first came across that guardian article (I may have read it before as it is a bit old) on twitter on Saturday morning, followed by an Independent one.

It doesn't surprise me it was on Guido. I do check it most days although not normally on Saturdays as it only normally gets updated on week days.

I recommend you read it. They interrogate the rich and powerful all the time from acrosd the spectrum, and that kind of journalism is important. If that's all you read you would end up with a distorted vision of reality, but a healthy and balanced diet is important in current affairs and it's a good source for that. ��
    Guido, Unherd, TopHat, etc, etc. All excellent sources for grown up journalism and for grown up reading.

International

I recommend you read it. They interrogate the rich and powerful all the time from acrosd the spectrum, and that kind of journalism is important. If that's all you read you would end up with a distorted vision of reality, but a healthy and balanced diet is important in current affairs and it's a good source for that. ��
    He's caused a stir, everyone will be looking into his cupboards for Skeletons, let's see how many they find.

First Team

That's quite an escalation, Eric.

Unfortunately some did die several months ago. A better question is how to stop said boats, and on that there is a diversity of opinion
    Stopping the boats - a couple of ideas:

1. Don't leave the EU and cause the collapse of French cooperation in dealing with cross channel people smuggling;
    2. Provide safe routes for asylum seekers.

There you go. Wasn't hard, was it?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Of course, tax avoidance is fine for Saint Lineker he's one of them!

Separate rules apply you should know that by now, double standards are perfectly acceptable and widely used in whatever discussion.
    Just to be clear. Tax avoidance is legal.

What does Lineker's case with the HMRC have to do with his twitter post? I'll answer for you - **** all. It's a standard rightwing tactic to smear Lineker.