+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you let your 14 year old son go one his own to Blackpool away?

Re: Would you let your 14 year old son go one his own to Blackpool away?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    "Five hours each way on the train, designated trains only with multiple changes if you want change from £60, 1.5 mile walk each way to the ground, very early lifts Cardiff Central and late pick ups late at night on Good Friday.

Are you sure you have thought this question through, looked into the coach options and discussed it with the poor dab before putting it out here?"

He is the one pushing me - saying he wants to go - as his 2 mates are going
    What does his Mum think? Usually older Dads are a bit more nervous but she must be having kittens!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    What does his Mum think? Usually older Dads are a bit more nervous but she must be having kittens!
    She is not sure. It's peer pressure from the others I think. Ive been to enough away games (not blackpool) to know it has the potential to get out of hand. It's not him I dont trust - it's him getting caught up in something or meeting others who are a bit rough around the edges.

She is not sure. It's peer pressure from the others I think. Ive been to enough away games (not blackpool) to know it has the potential to get out of hand. It's not him I dont trust - it's him getting caught up in something or meeting others who are a bit rough around the edges.
    Feeling your angst, bro

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This seems unreasonably strict. In even half a million years he will be more than old enough
    On reflection in 4.5 years it’s up to him if he wants to go

Would you let your 14 year old son go one his own to Blackpool away on the train ?
    that's it basically
    I don’t think that any responsible parent would even consider it.

You're not even safe when you get there. I mean look at what happened to Alan Bradley and that tram.
    He was feeling a bit run down at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He was feeling a bit run down at the time.
    How illuminating

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    How illuminating
    There is some poster, just rejoined after many years looking for parental guidance on how to manage his teenager from a football messageboard and all you have are Blackpool puns....shame on you!

There is some poster, just rejoined after many years looking for parental guidance on how to manage his teenager from a football messageboard and all you have are Blackpool puns....shame on you!
    Surely you are not suggesting that the OP is being disingenuous in seeking advice from complete strangers on a messageboard on how to mitigate his fears of the risks to the personal safety of his child when travelling half the length of the country?

You'd look like a bit of a donkey for even thinking of such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting that the OP is being disingenuous in seeking advice from complete strangers on a messageboard on how to mitigate his fears of the risks to the personal safety of his child when travelling half the length of the country?

You'd look like a bit of a donkey for even thinking of such a thing!
    Who knows. A 55 year old hand on here who jumped ship off here a while back as it was being hijacked by certain people who unless they were agreed with went all in and it became a joke so for a laugh he jumped ship to the 'other place', that was alright for a while unless you question the leader or said anything about Sam and then you'd get banned (like he did) who used to work for the council but now has his own business (strangely pm'd me to tell me all this, almost verbatim).

Same guy who knows IR35 inside out can't work out whether putting a 14 year old kid on a train is sensible.

Still it's early days in pipster's latest reincarnation so who knows what's next!

Who knows. A 55 year old hand on here who jumped ship off here a while back as it was being hijacked by certain people who unless they were agreed with went all in and it became a joke so for a laugh he jumped ship to the 'other place', that was alright for a while unless you question the leader or said anything about Sam and then you'd get banned (like he did) who used to work for the council but now has his own business (strangely pm'd me to tell me all this, almost verbatim).

Same guy who knows IR35 inside out can't work out whether putting a 14 year old kid on a train is sensible.

Still it's early days in pipster's latest reincarnation so who knows what's next!
    I don't see the issue, sorry.

It's perfectly normal behaviour to tell your unsolicited life story to a stranger via private message.

As an aside, I am now regretting that I hadn't kept back the illuminating pun for this reply.

What a waste.

That's enough doubt there mate. Follow your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    On reflection in 4.5 years it’s up to him if he wants to go
    You won't let him go at 16 or 17?

No. End off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    No. End off.
    End off Sounds particularly nasty!!

Simple question how would you feel if the police are at your door asking you why you let a 14 year old CHILD undertake such a journey if anything happened to him ???????
    So answer is easy NO

Just on a side note, us coach operators (yes, I know he’s not going on a coach) are continually being warned that since the pandemic, drugs and these gas canisters are on the increase amongst the younger element of Cardiff fans travelling.
    At one game, two under 16’s had to be taken to hospital and the police had to inform both sets of parents, one boy’s heart actually stopped at one point.

I’m not saying your lad is into that stuff, but there is always the fear that “billy big bollocks”, will say “go on try it, we all have and it hasn’t hurt us”

Really think about this, I’d rather be a hated dad, than one planning a funeral !!!

Depends on the kid but i'd prefer it if they were on a bus

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just on a side note, us coach operators (yes, I know he’s not going on a coach) are continually being warned that since the pandemic, drugs and these gas canisters are on the increase amongst the younger element of Cardiff fans travelling.
    At one game, two under 16’s had to be taken to hospital and the police had to inform both sets of parents, one boy’s heart actually stopped at one point.

I’m not saying your lad is into that stuff, but there is always the fear that “billy big bollocks”, will say “go on try it, we all have and it hasn’t hurt us”

Really think about this, I’d rather be a hated dad, than one planning a funeral !!!
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    👍
    I think 14 is too young… stuff can and does happen. I’d be twitchy letting him go at 16 tbh, but you can’t really stop it then.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    I think 14 is too young… stuff can and does happen. I’d be twitchy letting him go at 16 tbh, but you can’t really stop it then.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I don’t think that any responsible parent would even consider it.
    My parents did and they let me go to watch a couple of games in London on Good Friday with a school mate who was also fourteen. We had a great day as we took in a visit to the Football Hall of Fame I think it was called in between games. I cant ever remember feeling intimidated and my parents never gave the impression of being concerned about my safety.

I know it’s a different time now, but with mobile phones and other advances in technology, it’s much easier to keep in touch with your kids now if you’re a parent. When and why have things changed so much in the last fifty years?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My parents did and they let me go to watch a couple of games in London on Good Friday with a school mate who was also fourteen. We had a great day as we took in a visit to the Football Hall of Fame I think it was called in between games. I cant ever remember feeling intimidated and my parents never gave the impression of being concerned about my safety.

I know it’s a different time now, but with mobile phones and other advances in technology, it’s much easier to keep in touch with your kids now if you’re a parent. When and why have things changed so much in the last fifty years?

What game did you go and see, and did the experience live up to your expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    What game did you go and see, and did the experience live up to your expectations?
    Went to watch Brentford in the morning and then up to Spurs for the afternoon match - Brentford were in Division Four then and were going for promotion, from memory there were 16 thousand there. My main memory of the Spurs game was how the crowd got on the team’s back so quickly - they won 1-0 with a late goal by Martin Chivers, but that was when the first germs of my long held opinion about Spurs supporters being an entitled lot first began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Most probably the Charlton game at 11am then off to Stamford Bridge for Chelsea/Newcastle in the afternoon, I went aged 14, great day out but, perhaps, times are different now, the past is another world.