+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Unmanly begging encouraged by VAR

Unmanly begging encouraged by VAR

Harry Kane did it yesterday in that Italy game. The ball is bouncing around in a penalty-area scramble when it tangentially brushes the arm of a defender so inconsequentially that the referee and linesmen don't even notice. But Harry sees it, and so off he runs to Papa, eyes wide, arms outstretched, yelling that junior just peed on the toilet seat.

I see a lot of this. It feels like players are trying to get a cheap goal when a real one just won't show up.

That the refs obediently head to the VAR camera to give the complainer his way is just encouraging it. Are referees obliged to consult VAR if a player yells loud enough?

I just don't like it. It feels unmanly. For the life of me I can't imagine John Charles doing such a thing.

Re: Unmanly begging encouraged by VAR

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Harry Kane did it yesterday in that Italy game. The ball is bouncing around in a penalty-area scramble when it tangentially brushes the arm of a defender so inconsequentially that the referee and linesmen don't even notice. But Harry sees it, and so off he runs to Papa, eyes wide, arms outstretched, yelling that junior just peed on the toilet seat.

I see a lot of this. It feels like players are trying to get a cheap goal when a real one just won't show up.

That the refs obediently head to the VAR camera to give the complainer his way is just encouraging it. Are referees obliged to consult VAR if a player yells loud enough?

I just don't like it. It feels unmanly. For the life of me I can't imagine John Charles doing such a thing.
    noticed that , and that commentator 5 players are screaming at the ref must be something in it

What’s unmanly about it? Would you rather him ask bare chested whilst chewing on a steak?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    What’s unmanly about it? Would you rather him ask bare chested whilst chewing on a steak?
    I think it's a bit snide.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Which would you prefer I use:

Weak.
    Soft.
    Timorous.
    Feeble.
    Fragile.
    Frail.
    Delicate.

Suck it up, Harry. He turned a tiny, barely perceptible infraction into a game-winning penalty kick by crying like a baby. Get on with it. Score an honest goal. Win fair and square. You know, the old virtues:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    ⁠And never breathe a word about your loss:

I remember an incident from eons ago when a young up-and-comer —I think it was Trevor Francis — missed a shot at goal that hit the outside of the stanchion and rebounded back into play. The referee, thinking the ball had gone in and bounced back out, gave the goal. The player — again, I think it was Francis — told the referee the truth, and the goal was disallowed.

Lots of fans got mad at Francis(?) for that. That's the win-at-any-cost crowd for you.

You can suppose bare-chested chewing of a steak is "manly" if you wish, but I think Kipling had a better understanding.

[QUOTE=jimmyscoular;5405170]Which would you prefer I use:

Weak.
    Soft.
    Timorous.
    Feeble.
    Fragile.
    Frail.
    Delicate.

don't mince! your words...use womanly QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ToTaL ITK;5405187]
    Which would you prefer I use:

Weak.
    Soft.
    Timorous.
    Feeble.
    Fragile.
    Frail.
    Delicate.

don't mince! your words...use womanly QUOTE]
    Well, one wishes of course to avoid arming the screaming harridans found here and there among the ranks of the fairer sex.

On the other hand, and based on fair reflection, those words could hardly be applied to my sainted mother, who, with the help of my utterly dependable father, guided our family through the inflation, unemployment, strikes and devaluations of the 1960s and 1970s, into useful and purposeful adulthoods. Nor was she unique in this.

I read an article several days ago about South Korean women who are allegedly giving up on South Korean men (the story appears to be greatly hyped), because they are tired of their swaggering masculinity. I was encouraged by this description of the South Korean male, who I had assumed from media coverage to have adopted the virility of the average boy band. Should their country soon be invaded and overcome, as is always possible, by the miniature though ruthlessly regimented men of North Korea, these women will no doubt demand that their men pick up arms.

To return to the original point, I don't like soccer players begging favours from referees. Stop falling over in the penalty area. Stop demanding punishments that far exceed the offence. Man up. Play harder. Stop missing open goals (Yes, you, Jack Grealish).

This bleating and crying to the officials sets a poor example.

I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    noticed that , and that commentator 5 players are screaming at the ref must be something in it
    4 of them were only screaming at the ref because 1 of them started to.

[QUOTE=jimmyscoular;5405207]
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post

Well, one wishes of course to avoid arming the screaming harridans found here and there among the ranks of the fairer sex.

On the other hand, and based on fair reflection, those words could hardly be applied to my sainted mother, who, with the help of my utterly dependable father, guided our family through the inflation, unemployment, strikes and devaluations of the 1960s and 1970s, into useful and purposeful adulthoods. Nor was she unique in this.

I read an article several days ago about South Korean women who are allegedly giving up on South Korean men (the story appears to be greatly hyped), because they are tired of their swaggering masculinity. I was encouraged by this description of the South Korean male, who I had assumed from media coverage to have adopted the virility of the average boy band. Should their country soon be invaded and overcome, as is always possible, by the miniature though ruthlessly regimented men of North Korea, these women will no doubt demand that their men pick up arms.

To return to the original point, I don't like soccer players begging favours from referees. Stop falling over in the penalty area. Stop demanding punishments that far exceed the offence. Man up. Play harder. Stop missing open goals (Yes, you, Jack Grealish).

This bleating and crying to the officials sets a poor example.

I just don't like it.
    The Seoul Crew?

John Charles wouldn't claim a penalty? Why? Did he have no will to win? What's manly about that?

I think they should go to the cricket version of you have 2 reviews and if you use them poorly then that’s you stuffed for the rest of the game. You’ll only challenge if you really think the officials have messed up big time.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    John Charles wouldn't claim a penalty? Why? Did he have no will to win? What's manly about that?
    JC played by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    JC played by the rules.
    I've never seen him kick a ball, but I'd bet he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've never seen him kick a ball, but I'd bet he didn't.
    Remarkably, during his long career he was never booked or sent off even once.

From Wikipedia:

"He was never cautioned nor sent off during his entire career, owing to his philosophy of never kicking nor intentionally hurting opposing players. This led to the nickname he acquired while playing for Juventus, Il Gigante Buono (The Gentle Giant)."

Remarkably, during his long career he was never booked or sent off even once.

From Wikipedia:

"He was never cautioned nor sent off during his entire career, owing to his philosophy of never kicking nor intentionally hurting opposing players. This led to the nickname he acquired while playing for Juventus, Il Gigante Buono (The Gentle Giant)."
    Of course John Charles was exceptional but those were different times disciplinary wise. Players could have a machine gun and flick knife and get a mild ticking off. I’d imagine he’d pick a few cautions up nowadays if only for assaulting goalkeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Of course John Charles was exceptional but those were different times disciplinary wise. Players could have a machine gun and flick knife and get a mild ticking off. I’d imagine he’d pick a few cautions up nowadays if only for assaulting goalkeepers.
    Good Swansea lad.