+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What does “woke” mean?

What does “woke” mean?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conser...to-define-woke

Around six minutes forty five seconds into the video.

Re: What does “woke” mean?

oof that was a painful watch

It's just a buzzword implanted on the plebs to get them riled up about anyone who actually wants to make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    It's just a buzzword implanted on the plebs to get them riled up about anyone who actually wants to make things better.
    Exactly normally used when struggling with trying to defend backdated opinions

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/conser...to-define-woke

Around six minutes forty five seconds into the video.
    As I passed through Gatwick airport yesterday I went to buy something to read and noticed that Douglas Murray's book "The War on the West" was about 6th in the most popular reads. I've read his 'Strange Death of Europe' book - complete with its Tommy Robinson eulogy - so, holding my nose, I picked it up and read the sleeve notes. Apparently 'wokeness' is one of its main themes. If I see it in a charity shop at some point in the future I might give it a read.

Hmm, it is a difficult one to describe I'll grant that. I think it's a subset of left-wing opinion that bases it's entire ideology on identity politics and historical analysis thereof and rather shaky interpretations of that and how those identities are the most critical issues in society. I would strongly disagree with that, but that's fine.

I also think it is a particularly intolerant strain of political thinking that doesn't really do well when held up to scrutiny. I can't think of a political ideology that more plainly sees things as black and white, good and bad, left and right and puts people in boxes based on that from which they can't escape. It isn't an ideology that seems consensus, in my opinion. Put it this way, woke people think they are liberal, but they aren't. They are liberal about what is important to them, but that isn't liberalism.

Its also a new term, yet liberalism isn't new, treating people well isn't new, being kind (which many 'woke' people absolutely are not btw) isn't new, progressivism isn't new, being opposed to racism or homophobia isn't new, being left-wing isn't new...so why has this new phrase or way of thinking emerged? Clearly it is something different again or else we wouldn't be talking about it.

I do think it is generally used by it's critics more and usually as a light hearted insult, so people do probably need to explain better what it means because it does seem to be an easier thing to mock than to explain. The satirist behind Titania Mcgrath does it well.

https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    As I passed through Gatwick airport yesterday I went to buy something to read and noticed that Douglas Murray's book "The War on the West" was about 6th in the most popular reads. I've read his 'Strange Death of Europe' book - complete with its Tommy Robinson eulogy - so, holding my nose, I picked it up and read the sleeve notes. Apparently 'wokeness' is one of its main themes. If I see it in a charity shop at some point in the future I might give it a read.
    Europe is dying. It is slowly being strangled to death. The economy is purposely being shrunk, and after the banks have collapsed a centralised programmable CBDC will be ushered in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Europe is dying. It is slowly being strangled to death. The economy is purposely being shrunk, and after the banks have collapsed a centralised programmable CBDC will be ushered in.
    wibble.jpg

I spend my life travelling around Europe. It is far from dying. Sit behind your keyboard with your gloomy conspiracy inspired narrative, but if you ever got out in the real world you would realise what shit you are spouting.

I spend my life travelling around Europe. It is far from dying. Sit behind your keyboard with your gloomy conspiracy inspired narrative, but if you ever got out in the real world you would realise what shit you are spouting.
    *Bookmarked

*Bookmarked
    If you like. But get out from behind your keyboard. Travel. Talk to people in the real world. Open your mind. Listen. Learn.

If you like. But get out from behind your keyboard. Travel. Talk to people in the real world. Open your mind. Listen. Learn.
    Not much you can do when the entire economic system is being replaced. Less available energy will equal less productivity in a new carbon based digital economy.

lets hope none of my fellow marxists struggle over 'what is a woman'?

These days .....if you say you are English.....they throw you in jail

Credit Suisse is kaput.

Obviously "woke" means not asleep slumbering in the old absurd beliefs of a past, moribund era. It's good to feel enlightened and energised, free of the shackles of prejudice. Unless one has gamed the system to make loads of dosh and acquire dubious status what's not to like???

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Obviously "woke" means not asleep slumbering in the old absurd beliefs of a past, moribund era. It's good to feel enlightened and energised, free of the shackles of prejudice. Unless one has gamed the system to make loads of dosh and acquire dubious status what's not to like???
    People who whinge and moan about others being woke and snowflake etc are almost exclusively right wing tory twats who live their lives by the daily mail letters page

Bollocks to the miserable gits

as a fellow marxist i do think i should point out women are now more under the shackles of the patriarchy than they have been since the suffragettes fought for womens rights, they don't even have the right to be called 'women' but us marxist hate women so i see your point

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    as a fellow marxist i do think i should point out women are now more under the shackles of the patriarchy than they have been since the suffragettes fought for womens rights, they don't even have the right to be called 'women' but us marxist hate women so i see your point
    Mental.

You must be being deliberately woke to wind people up there?🤣

This very good short video demonstrates how daft, shallow and counterproductive most 'woke' thinking is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    I don't know about being under the shackles of the patriarchy but it seems many women have been under the bodies of serving Metropolitan Police officers. Do you agree Groucho?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You must be being deliberately woke to wind people up there?🤣

This very good short video demonstrates how daft, shallow and counterproductive most 'woke' thinking is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg
    Nah, I'll stay being woke James. You should try it, you will find it blows all the nasty hidebound cobwebs away. You could be a new man!

Nah, I'll stay being woke James. You should try it, you will find it blows all the nasty hidebound cobwebs away. You could be a new man!
    I'm cool treating people on their character not their skin colour, who they fancy or what's between their legs!

Cheers though! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Hmm, it is a difficult one to describe I'll grant that. I think it's a subset of left-wing opinion that bases it's entire ideology on identity politics and historical analysis thereof and rather shaky interpretations of that and how those identities are the most critical issues in society. I would strongly disagree with that, but that's fine.

I also think it is a particularly intolerant strain of political thinking that doesn't really do well when held up to scrutiny. I can't think of a political ideology that more plainly sees things as black and white, good and bad, left and right and puts people in boxes based on that from which they can't escape. It isn't an ideology that seems consensus, in my opinion. Put it this way, woke people think they are liberal, but they aren't. They are liberal about what is important to them, but that isn't liberalism.

Its also a new term, yet liberalism isn't new, treating people well isn't new, being kind (which many 'woke' people absolutely are not btw) isn't new, progressivism isn't new, being opposed to racism or homophobia isn't new, being left-wing isn't new...so why has this new phrase or way of thinking emerged? Clearly it is something different again or else we wouldn't be talking about it.

I do think it is generally used by it's critics more and usually as a light hearted insult, so people do probably need to explain better what it means because it does seem to be an easier thing to mock than to explain. The satirist behind Titania Mcgrath does it well.

https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath
    I stopped reading on the first line when you mentioned the left wing...

woke was originally terms in the 1930s USA, and was concerned with social and political issues concerning African Americans. Since then it has become a wider term to mean an individual who is compassionate and aware of the social and political injustice suffered by others outside of their own demographic.

Its also far from a new term.

Probably best not to comment on matters you're not familiar with.

I think woke is being open minded and welcoming if a gay couple move in next door

Or accepting that a local council funding work training sessions for refugees is money well spent

I think the problem isn't woke .....its the people who call others woke or snowflakes or do gooders etc .....daft little englanders

Miserable gits moaning about immigrants , kids in school being taught about same sex relationships as if it's going to turn a straight kid into a gay kid , about building more prisons to lock more people up , Gary Lineker being wrong instead of Tory Immigration and Asylum policy being wrong

On and On they go