+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a full English breakfast?

Re: What constitutes a full English breakfast?

Having read the definition in the OP, I'm pleased to say I've never had, or come close to having, a full English breakfast in my life.

Needs a hot fresh mug of tea

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    More space between the egg and beans

Use the sausage as a breakwater

I've made a few notes. Yes,
    uh... Bacon, 10 on 10. Button mushrooms, bingo. Black pudding, snap. Minor
    criticism, more distance between the eggs and the beans. I may want to mix them but
    I want that to be my decision. Use a sausage as a breakwater. But I'm nit-picking, on
    the whole, a very good effort - 7 on 10. Let's make love.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Having read the definition in the OP, I'm pleased to say I've never had, or come close to having, a full English breakfast in my life.
    I've only ever had one, and i didn't like it.

Irish curry sauce ?

Wtf is all that about ?
    It dances for your amusement while sat on your plate.

It has to be made in England

First Team

Since when did a simple fry up become a full English and even merit some sort of society to pontificate over its ingredients?

As an expert ( I'm one of the few English individuals on here) it remains a fry up, you can have whatever you want in it but the ingredients must be of poor quality and must be cooked with an evens chance of fag ash being included.
    It is compulsory to have an overly brewed mug of tea with several sugars,as a side order, and all of this must be consumed whilst reading a tabloid newspaper.
    Extra credibility can be garnered by leaving several breakfast stains down your shirt.

Irish curry sauce ?

Wtf is all that about ?
    We associate chocolate with Belgium and Switzerland and tomatoes with Mediterranean countries whereas both comestibles come from South and Central America. Such is life

Sausage, fried eggs, bacon, beans, fried tomatoes, hash browns, toast, mug of tea, god save the queen.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What happens when you click on the link? It looked fine when I posted it. Here's the website:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/57...s-hash-browns/
    Ah such a diverse football message board....
    The above link is simply Rosti, not Hash browns.

I go along with most contributors......no chips, no Bubble and Squeek.....(though I love that dish in its own right.....). Tomatoes have to be fresh, cut in half and fried......FRIED bread. My only non starter (although traditional) is that I don't like Black pudding. Of course it has to be Brown sauce on it..... TEA (black), has to be drunk after the meal while it is piping hot......Used to quite enjoy the one in The Conway decades ago, even though they had chips with it....then Brains changed it and filled the plate with a roll and I stopped eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    No. A Welsh breakfast is nonsense. I’ve eaten these in Aberystwyth and Cardigan etc. cockles and seaweed have no place at a breakfast table after 8 pints the night before. An English breakfast is something the English should be damned proud of. I recently took my dad to a gastro pub for their ridiculously expensive brunch for his birthday. I told him that for the price of our coffees we could have tucked right in at Ramon’s in Cathays. When it comes to an English breakfast, increasing price does not mean increasing quality!!! It’s meant to be dirty and very much a guilty pleasure.
    Yes , Welsh breakfast is utter nonsense

Same as the Welsh Baftas or Welsh Gogglebox ff sake

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We associate chocolate with Belgium and Switzerland and tomatoes with Mediterranean countries whereas both comestibles come from South and Central America. Such is life
    Yes I've always wondered what Italian cuisine was like before the tomato, there was an episode of "you're dead to me" about the colombian exchange the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    No. A Welsh breakfast is nonsense. I’ve eaten these in Aberystwyth and Cardigan etc. cockles and seaweed have no place at a breakfast table after 8 pints the night before. An English breakfast is something the English should be damned proud of. I recently took my dad to a gastro pub for their ridiculously expensive brunch for his birthday. I told him that for the price of our coffees we could have tucked right in at Ramon’s in Cathays. When it comes to an English breakfast, increasing price does not mean increasing quality!!! It’s meant to be dirty and very much a guilty pleasure.
    Nice to hear Ramon's is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And Italy gets a bit of slack when it comes to coffee, in fairness, they get away with a fair bit. A tower called Pisa that's ****ed because it was built poorly and a city that has basically flooded and stinks of shit. Anywhere else they'd be seen as disaster zones. The price of being cool, eh .

More space between the egg and beans

Use the sausage as a breakwater
    I might want to mix them, but I'd like it to be my choice !!

You can keep your bubble and squeak whatever society you are.

I think sausage, egg, beans and bacon with toast are needed, along with black pudding.

Tomatoes, mushrooms etc add as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Hash browns!!! ...maybe maple syrup on pancakes and grits as well ? chips have never been part of anyone's breakfast
    Get chips a lot in London etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you about the bubble & squeak.
    It has to be fried tomatoes and not plum tomatoes out of a tin, just too messy when it runs into the fried egg!
    Nice chopped up mixed with beans and black pudding

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hash browns, chips, bubble & squeak and tinned tomatoes have no place in a full English.
    The rest is fine, as long as the sausages are used as a breakwater between the eggs and beans.
    Brown sauce to finish it off aswell.
    Why do people have a thing with beans and eggs? I love beans and egg on toast..

Read up on English Breakfasts a short while ago whilst lost down an internet rabbit hole. The English Breakfast as we understand only came about around the time of The First World War and has evolved over the intervening years to what we know it as now.

Baked beans only arrived in the UK in 1886, so can’t truly be seen as a traditional part of the dish. Plus they are an American invention.

I find it curious how the dish has managed to reach all parts of the UK, has a standard set of ingredients whilst also having regional differences.

Scotland - Lorne sausage. God they are lush.
    North West - Bury Black Pudding. Again, lush. The huge “plate sized” slices are far more appealing than the one’s I used to have in Cardiff (I now live in Manchester).

But for the record….
    Two sausages (Pork & Apple), 2 unsmoked rashers of back bacon, baked beans, toms (tinned or grilled fresh), fried egg, black pudding.
    Two rounds of bread and butter. (Doorsteps)
    Brown sauce. (HP)
    Touch of vinegar.
    Mayonaisse. (Hellman’s, the rest tastes naff)
    Pot of strongly brewed Breakfast tea.

Under no circumstances should any form of potato be part of the meal. If it does, it becomes a fry-up and not a full-English.

And for me, absolutely no mushrooms. But I accept it’s a proper part of the full-English for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    Read up on English Breakfasts a short while ago whilst lost down an internet rabbit hole. The English Breakfast as we understand only came about around the time of The First World War and has evolved over the intervening years to what we know it as now.

Baked beans only arrived in the UK in 1886, so can’t truly be seen as a traditional part of the dish. Plus they are an American invention.

I find it curious how the dish has managed to reach all parts of the UK, has a standard set of ingredients whilst also having regional differences.

Scotland - Lorne sausage. God they are lush.
    North West - Bury Black Pudding. Again, lush. The huge “plate sized” slices are far more appealing than the one’s I used to have in Cardiff (I now live in Manchester).

But for the record….
    Two sausages (Pork & Apple), 2 unsmoked rashers of back bacon, baked beans, toms (tinned or grilled fresh), fried egg, black pudding.
    Two rounds of bread and butter. (Doorsteps)
    Brown sauce. (HP)
    Touch of vinegar.
    Mayonaisse. (Hellman’s, the rest tastes naff)
    Pot of strongly brewed Breakfast tea.

Under no circumstances should any form of potato be part of the meal. If it does, it becomes a fry-up and not a full-English.

And for me, absolutely no mushrooms. But I accept it’s a proper part of the full-English for others.
    If potatoe makes it a fry up rather than a full English, what does Mayonnaise make it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd rather tinned tomatoes than beans.
    Tinned tomatoes are traditional as there were no tomatoes in the UK for most of the year until relatively recently (in my lifetime). Unless you lived in the manor house and your Gardner grew some in his Victorian Greenhouse.
    I can remember at this time of year, just before Easter, looking forward to the boats from The Canary Islands arriving with their gorgeous sun kissed tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And Italy gets a bit of slack when it comes to coffee, in fairness, they get away with a fair bit. A tower called Pisa that's ****ed because it was built poorly and a city that has basically flooded and stinks of shit. Anywhere else they'd be seen as disaster zones. The price of being cool, eh .
    That’s why we’re in the building game and getting by through working our stones off instead of having the forethought years ago to build one simple tower that’d eventually start keeling over and over the years making millions out of tourists coming to view it……… I’ve just launched my level

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Why do people have a thing with beans and eggs? I love beans and egg on toast..
    I just prefer to keep my wet items apart and choose to mix them if I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you about the bubble & squeak.
    It has to be fried tomatoes and not plum tomatoes out of a tin, just too messy when it runs into the fried egg!
    tinned plum tomatoes on toast is very underrated. Although when i cook something like that or beans on toast I have a hard time justifying to my wife that British cuisine isn't as bad as it is made out to be