+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a full English breakfast?

What constitutes a full English breakfast?

According to the English Breakfast Society (yes, such a thing exists), a full English contains back bacon, eggs, British sausage, baked beans, bubble and squeak, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, black pudding, with fried and toasted bread on the side. Hash browns and chips are apparently not considered part of this breakfast.

What do we think?

Re: What constitutes a full English breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    According to the English Breakfast Society (yes, such a thing exists), a full English contains back bacon, eggs, British sausage, baked beans, bubble and squeak, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, black pudding, with fried and toasted bread on the side. Hash browns and chips are apparently not considered part of this breakfast.

What do we think?
    I was under the impression that hash browns was more of an American thing when most of us were in school uniform - but I could be wrong and it may be a regional thing in Blighty for all I know.

Hash browns!!! ...maybe maple syrup on pancakes and grits as well ? chips have never been part of anyone's breakfast

What do we think?
    I can’t agree with bubble and squeak which is a dish in itself. I’d also say that you can’t specify British sausage in an English breakfast as the Scots love slab/square/Lorne sausage. An English breakfast surely includes “link” sausage. But definitely you will need fried bread as well as toast, and black pudding too. It’s also extremely important that the mushrooms look and taste awful. If served by a lady who looks like she should be in Last of the Summer Wine you have gone balls deep !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I can’t agree with bubble and squeak which is a dish in itself. I’d also say that you can’t specify British sausage in an English breakfast as the Scots love slab/square/Lorne sausage. An English breakfast surely includes “link” sausage. But definitely you will need fried bread as well as toast, and black pudding too. It’s also extremely important that the mushrooms look and taste awful. If served by a lady who looks like she should be in Last of the Summer Wine you have gone balls deep !!!
    There are allowances for regional variations, so Irish or Lorne sausage etc. Haggis is included, potato scones. There's no mention of Wales and should cockles and laverbread be included in a Welsh breakfast?

No. A Welsh breakfast is nonsense. I’ve eaten these in Aberystwyth and Cardigan etc. cockles and seaweed have no place at a breakfast table after 8 pints the night before. An English breakfast is something the English should be damned proud of. I recently took my dad to a gastro pub for their ridiculously expensive brunch for his birthday. I told him that for the price of our coffees we could have tucked right in at Ramon’s in Cathays. When it comes to an English breakfast, increasing price does not mean increasing quality!!! It’s meant to be dirty and very much a guilty pleasure.

Hash Browns have been part of the " full English breakfast " for 20 years now

Its funny the US has gone over to Tater Tots or potato barrels now,

Hold on, where are the grilled half tomatoes???? Or at least fried tomatoes?

Hold on, where are the grilled half tomatoes???? Or at least fried tomatoes?
    I'd rather tinned tomatoes than beans.

Yeah, I agree with you about the bubble & squeak.
    It has to be fried tomatoes and not plum tomatoes out of a tin, just too messy when it runs into the fried egg!

The Scottish full English?

I'd rather tinned tomatoes than beans.
    Beans are death

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Beans are death
    Mrs HaB could eat a tin of beans every day. The amount of wind that comes my way suggests she does. It's her favourite food. I haven't eaten beans in years and don't miss them one bit.

More space between the egg and beans

Use the sausage as a breakwater

Mrs HaB could eat a tin of beans every day. The amount of wind that comes my way suggests she does. It's her favourite food. I haven't eaten beans in years and don't miss them one bit.
    Beans on toast are great

Anywhere else they taste like soap

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Beans on toast are great

Anywhere else they taste like soap
    Brown sauce or Worcester sauce?

My family called fried bread, 'bacon toast' which is far more appealling imo

I stayed at a B&B in Hertfordshire recently and the English Breakfast included sausages from Braughing.

I braughed all morning after that.....

What do we think?
    I agree, hash browns are Yankee & no chips for breakfast. The rest is spot on but personally no baked beans for me.

I prefer a full Irish.

Irish curry sauce ?

Wtf is all that about ?

Also, I think what passes for hash browns in the UK are like the McDonald's version. Real hash browns look like this:
    Attachment 5476 Much less greasy and more thoroughly cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Also, I think what passes for hash browns in the UK are like the McDonald's version. Real hash browns look like this:
    Attachment 5476 Much less greasy and more thoroughly cooked.
    Invalid attachment

What happens when you click on the link? It looked fine when I posted it. Here's the website:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/57...s-hash-browns/

Hash browns, chips, bubble & squeak and tinned tomatoes have no place in a full English.
    The rest is fine, as long as the sausages are used as a breakwater between the eggs and beans.
    Brown sauce to finish it off aswell.

Before the Bristol game my mates and I ate in Calabrisella in Canton (opposite the Ivor). Their Welsh breakfast had a chicken drumstick on it, the strangest thing I’ve seen on a breakfast.