+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does Hodgson's re-appointment at Palace tell us about the state of football in the Premiership?

What does Hodgson's re-appointment at Palace tell us about the state of football in the Premiership?

Parish always comes across as a knowledgeable, switched-on bloke.....

International

Re: What does Hodgson's re-appointment at Palace tell us about the state of football in the Premiership?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Parish always comes across as a knowledgeable, switched-on bloke.....
    It's just a Red Adair appointment, isn't it?

Re: What does Hodgson's re-appointment at Palace tell us about the state of football in the Premiership?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's just a Red Adair appointment, isn't it?
    Yankie managers are yesterday's fag paper.
    They could've gone for Erik Van Schmidt. Unrivalled record in German and Durch leagues, speaks pigeon English and well-schooled in the art of media presentation.

First Team

In all honesty probably nothing .
    I would guess thant it indicates that Palace have someone lined up post season , who is currently coming to the end of their contract, and a stop gap is required.
    Obviously complete guess work on my part.

So the appointment of a 75-y-o steeped in a tradition of drilling defences and negative defensive football is the way to get the upper hand in modern football?

Redknapp for the Cherries next?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I would guess thant it indicates that Palace have someone lined up post season , who is currently coming to the end of their contract, and a stop gap is required.
    An almost certainly accurate guess though, given Hodgson has been appointed only till the end of the season.

Shore things up, keep them in Prem, hand over to new manager then.

I would much prefer any managerial appointment, including our own, was a person from the UK and not a person operating in an inferior league overseas. The fact Hodgson is old should not be a major issue as all of the training and other vigorous activities is mainly undertaken by the many coaches clubs seem to employ. It would be nice for British managers to be given more of chance but we are where we are.

Just shows how important survival in the Premier League. Palace have tried and failed to push on into the upper echelons, so have prioritised survival above anything else.

It just shows how desperate teams are to stay in that league.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I would much prefer any managerial appointment, including our own, was a person from the UK and not a person operating in an inferior league overseas. The fact Hodgson is old should not be a major issue as all of the training and other vigorous activities is mainly undertaken by the many coaches clubs seem to employ. It would be nice for British managers to be given more of chance but we are where we are.
    Why?

I thought Roy only liked to play Worrhamah nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why?
    Read on.

"knows the league" "knows the club" "club DNA" type bullshit that has pervaded in British football for years

Something else to factor in is the wishes of the mob.
    They appear divided, some hailing Roy as a Messiah, others wanting the up-dating experiment to continue.
    Rather like this board when Warlock was suggested as a make-shift Messiah.
    It sort of tells me that older styles of football can work in the Premiership - and that newer styles are dependant on the abilities of managers and players. Get this wrong, and disaster waits in the wings.

Their only priority this season is staying up. They have the option of a massively experienced coach, who has operated at the highest levels during a very successful career. He also knows the club extremely well. Why would they not appoint him.

While hodgsons teams do tend to be defensive, I'd object to the idea that he's a proponent of 'old fashioned football' as has been suggested. He likes his side's to get the ball down on the floor and keep possession. He's hardly an old school hoof it merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Read on.
    I read your whole post. I still don't know why it would better for British managers to be given more of a chance. Or who would benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    They're after Lamouchi

I read your whole post. I still don't know why it would better for British managers to be given more of a chance. Or who would benefit.
    That was my take as well.

Yankie managers are yesterday's fag paper.
    They could've gone for Erik Van Schmidt. Unrivalled record in German and Durch leagues, speaks pigeon English and well-schooled in the art of media presentation.
    Coo. I bet he speaks pidgin English too.

British jobs for British workers init!

Last few appointments off my head.....Gary O'Neil, Graham Potter, Nathan Jones, Dyche...then the 2 Spanish lads and De Zebri (replacing a English guy who got promoted)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    He likes his side's to get the ball down on the floor and keep possession.
    Since when

I hope they go down.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Since when

I hope they go down.
    Since the last 40 or so years of his career I think .

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Coo. I bet he speaks pidgin English too.
    Listen here, ole fruit, I'm just a poor, uneducated mush - not like them globtrotters who flaunt their noose all over soshul meadya

Something had to be done . I believe it was the right decision. 12 games without a win, up until the Arsenal game , 4 games without scoring. Football is a results business. Views didn’t get any.

So the appointment of a 75-y-o steeped in a tradition of drilling defences and negative defensive football is the way to get the upper hand in modern football?
    I don't think Hodgson's appointment tells us anything about the Premier League, but it does tell about the mess Palace find themselves in. They have won just once in their last 17 outings in all competitions and have scored just 5 goals in their last 12 Premier League games. That would get a manager the sack at any level.