+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Safe Standing on trial at Newcastle next season

Safe Standing on trial at Newcastle next season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65085088

Backward step in my eyes, especially as bad behaviour is on the rise at games

Re: Safe Standing on trial at Newcastle next season

Completely disagree. I think it’s a very positive step forwards and will help improve atmospheres and potentially reduce the costs of tickets.

How’s allowing safe standing going to worsen people’s behaviour? People already stand at games, the entire Canton stand and 95% of away fans stand at Cardiff games. In every stadium across the country people stand. Plenty of teams below the Championship have standing terraces already.

Instead of having knee high plastic seats to stop you falling forwards there’s a waist high rail. Particularly useful at grounds with steep stands like QPR and Villa. I'm hoping Cardiff’s trial will be considered a success and they’ll continue the rails through the entirety of the Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Completely disagree. I think it’s a very positive step forwards and will help improve atmospheres and potentially reduce the costs of tickets.

How’s allowing safe standing going to worsen people’s behaviour? People already stand at games, the entire Canton stand and 95% of away fans stand at Cardiff games. In every stadium across the country people stand. Plenty of teams below the Championship have standing terraces already.

Instead of having knee high plastic seats to stop you falling forwards there’s a waist high rail. Particularly useful at grounds with steep stands like QPR and Villa. I'm hoping Cardiff’s trial will be considered a success and they’ll continue the rails through the entirety of the Canton.
    How will it reduce the cost of tickets? Doesn’t capacity remain the same as the supporter is stood in a designated ‘seat space’ ? Or are the seats removed completely and we stand as before, wherever we can fit in? I didn’t think it was the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

I'm glad someone posted this, I wasn't sure if it was a weird attempt at satire given how close minded and stuck in the mud the OP's viewpoint is.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How will it reduce the cost of tickets? Doesn’t capacity remain the same as the supporter is stood in a designated ‘seat space’ ? Or are the seats removed completely and we stand as before, wherever we can fit in? I didn’t think it was the latter.
    Currently the plan for safe standing is 1 person per 1 seat but there’s the potential for that to change in the future. Everton’s new stadium has been designed so their south stand with a 13,000 seated capacity can accommodate 20,000 standing fans without any major construction work. Just removing the seating for safety rails.

Dortmund is another example. For UEFA games, their capacity is capped at 66,000 because of UEFA’s all seater requirement but in the league it’s over 80,000.

Liverpool are spending something like £150m to get an extra ~7,000 seats at Anfield. Everton would probably only need to spent a few million to gain the same capacity increase (if the law ever allows them to) so they won’t need to increase ticket prices to recoup the costs.