Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
Whenever Sunderland's support is mentioned on this board, it invariably brings back memories of the time they came to Ninian Park (early 80s?) and made it feel like an away game for us. I was approaching the ground along Tudor Rd and had not witnessed such away support like it.
On the way to that game, a Sunderland fan dressed as a Gorilla and his mate (not of the female Gorilla type) approached me as I walked down Sloper Rd, and the Gorilla said out loud, in a good natured manner, “oh look, finally a Cardiff fan”. “Three nil” he added chortling away.

“Yes, 3-0 to City”, I had to agree.

I guessed he didn’t take it too well, because of the expletives coming forth, and the way he was stepping towards me with clenched fists.

But his mate quickly diffused any situation and started laughing at his Gorilla friend, slapping him on his silverback, and said “he got you there!”.

So I continued on walking to the game, together, with my 2 new best mates, and what seemed like a million good natured Sunderland fans.

I can’t remember the final result, but I seem to recall that it was a draw in suspicious circumstances, given that depending on other results, a draw would give them the title, and we would avoid relegation.