+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Welsh entry in BBC's "Who Is the Best Pundit in Football" poll.

Re: The Welsh entry in BBC's "Who Is the Best Pundit in Football" poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I assume that when she appears on TC, you go outside the room mumbling 'I'm just going outside - and may be some time'

(I meant Alisha Lehmann in my previous post - Moore would have been proud of her first goal last weekend)
    It is actually a good point:

I almost never watch TV unless it is football and so just avoid having to watch people that I have no time for (so most people then - lol!)

But as I have said before, I never watch any pre-match build up, HT or full time punditry, just watching the game itself. But what I can't escape (short of muting the sound completely) is co-commentary which is almost always terrible, unlike the commentary itself which is usually good.

Why can't TV companies provide alternative audio channels? They have loads of money (mine, for example!) and the technology (see the pandemic) so why should I have games ruined by having to listen to the same old dreadful co-commentators? And lots of them are on ALL the time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Why can't TV companies provide alternative audio channels?
    A friend of a friend has IPTV which means he/she/it can access the same match with two, three sometimes even four different commentary teams. That way the friend of a friend can watch a game and have the commentary of his/her/its choice.
    Unfortunately, there are question marks about its legality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    After she has read the news, presented the weather forecast, done all the continuing announcements and pretty much everything else on the BBC.

I am at a loss as to why Alex Scott is seemingly on TV all the time. It certainly isn’t because of her presenting ability or punditry skills.
    The bit I must have missed is if you very rarely watch tv, and never watch any pre-match build up, h/t or full time punditry, just watching the game itself. And I can't recall Alex Scott doing co-commentary. On what evidence did you base the conclusion that she shouldn't be on tv based on her presenting ability or punditry skills?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The bit I must have missed is if you very rarely watch tv, and never watch any pre-match build up, h/t or full time punditry, just watching the game itself. And I can't recall Alex Scott doing co-commentary. On what evidence did you base the conclusion that she shouldn't be on tv based on her presenting ability or punditry skills?
    World cup?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    World cup?
    She was a co-commentator in the World Cup? Possible as was there so missed it.

I don't know.

My post had a question mark in it, so I'd sa I was looking for an answer, not giving one

I don't know.

My post had a question mark in it, so I'd sa I was looking for an answer, not giving one
    So did mine. That's both of us then. Hopefully someone will chip in who knows soon.

Scott is not unqualified.
    While playing for Arsenal, Alex Scott completed a degree in Professional Sports Writing and Broadcasting at Staffordshire University. She wrote a weekly women's football column in the Morning Star newspaper and a column in The Independent during the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

She became well known to a wider audience when she covered the 2018 FIFA World Cup, becoming the first female football pundit at a World Cup for the BBC. After the tournament, she continued to provide insight on the Premier League, and in August 2018 became the first female pundit on Sky Sports, joining the Super Sunday team.

(@Cyril before you take me to task about spending so much time writing this post again, it has taken a minute to cut/select/paste this)

Unfortunately, there is more to being a liked pundit/commentator than a good grounding. Commentators who spew useless facts throughout a game have done a huge amount of research which appears to be at their fingertips - but they are a real turn-off for me.
    Pundits who are generally appreciated are thin on the ground. I have to say that my opening post was born of exasperation at the nonsense and trite observations the female pundit was spouting. But many male commentators are equally guilty of this.

So did mine. That's both of us then. Hopefully someone will chip in who knows soon.
    Don't confuse a man Cyril. Asking me a question I already don't know the answer to... But yes hopefully someone else chips in with an answer

Scott is not unqualified.
    While playing for Arsenal, Alex Scott completed a degree in Professional Sports Writing and Broadcasting at Staffordshire University. She wrote a weekly women's football column in the Morning Star newspaper and a column in The Independent during the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

She became well known to a wider audience when she covered the 2018 FIFA World Cup, becoming the first female football pundit at a World Cup for the BBC. After the tournament, she continued to provide insight on the Premier League, and in August 2018 became the first female pundit on Sky Sports, joining the Super Sunday team.

(@Cyril before you take me to task about spending so much time writing this post again, it has taken a minute to cut/select/paste this)

Unfortunately, there is more to being a liked pundit/commentator than a good grounding. Commentators who spew useless facts throughout a game have done a huge amount of research which appears to be at their fingertips - but they are a real turn-off for me.
    Pundits who are generally appreciated are thin on the ground. I have to say that my opening post was born of exasperation at the nonsense and trite observations the female pundit was spouting. But many male commentators are equally guilty of this.
    Helen Ward retired from international football a month ago after getting 100 caps for Wales. I don't know how many radio commentaries she has ever done before you remarked that she was The Welsh entry in BBC;S "Who Is the Best Pundit in Football" poll but my guess is not many. Post career they all have to start somewhere. Hopefully she will become more confident in articulating her views on her 2nd or 3rd attempts and we can all take your next review even less seriously than your first!

Don't confuse a man Cyril. Asking me a question I already don't know the answer to... But yes hopefully someone else chips in with an answer
    My mistake was thinking it was just you and me on the ping pong table!

99 per cent sure she wasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    99 per cent sure she wasn’t.
    I am sure Bobby will put us straight on how he reached his conclusions without apparently tuning into anything she presented or was a pundit on.

Hopefully she will become more confident in articulating her views on her 2nd or 3rd attempts and we can all take your next review even less seriously than your first!
    Absolutely.
    My OP was never intended to be taken seriously - you may be surprised to learn that HW is not in the running for BBC Pundit of the Year.
    As I said before, I was amazed that people did take it seriously.
    Maybe we need a smiley to signal 'This post is not to be taken seriously'
    (That wasn't a serious suggestion btw)

Absolutely.
    My OP was never intended to be taken seriously - you may be surprised to learn that HW is not in the running for BBC Pundit of the Year.
    As I said before, I was amazed that people did take it seriously.
    Maybe we need a smiley to signal 'This post is not to be taken seriously'
    (That wasn't a serious suggestion btw)
    No probs. Whenever I see a post from you, whatever you do don't take it seriously will be my future default position. I am sure others may think the same!

No probs. Whenever I see a post from you, whatever you do don't take it seriously will be my future default position. I am sure others may think the same!
    There is that point of view.
    Alternatively, folk may be more discerning.

There is that point of view.
    Alternatively, folk may be more discerning.
    Perhaps the "I'm clearly taking the piss out of anyone who replies" smiley is not such a bad idea!

Alex Scott May well be a crap pundit, i have no idea, i've never watched or listened to her, Although i'm very aware of who she is. Thing is, she is entitled to be rubbish, or for people to have the opinion she is rubbish, or even very good at what she does, isn't that the whole point? Previously, we just thought that most of the men were rubbish, now we can include the Ladies. Equality at it's finest i reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Alex Scott May well be a crap pundit, i have no idea, i've never watched or listened to her, Although i'm very aware of who she is. Thing is, she is entitled to be rubbish, or for people to have the opinion she is rubbish, or even very good at what she does, isn't that the whole point? Previously, we just thought that most of the men were rubbish, now we can include the Ladies. Equality at it's finest i reckon.

My mistake was thinking it was just you and me on the ping pong table!

Never alone on this board. Anyways a willing participant to poke their nose in.

You Damn right!