+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colwill

Re: Colwill

I can't remember us ever having a player you could build a team around. In fact, I think it's a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Apart from the cross I didn't think he did anything else of note. My main concern is he is so ponderous in his movement. Way off the pace and second to every ball. Nowhere near good enough for first team football.What did everyone make of his performance?
    He's a lump, and I've said it before. He may have skill but unfortunately he's built more for rugby.

Surely give him a run of games before deciding to get rid of the youngster? having the very occasional game with his lack of experience is hardly giving him a chance and he has some obvious potential

im not attached to him like some fans but the critics are biased muppets on this board

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    Surely give him a run of games before deciding to get rid of the youngster? having the very occasional game with his lack of experience is hardly giving him a chance and he has some obvious potential

im not attached to him like some fans but the critics are biased muppets on this board
    Thing is, he has to earn a run of games, and we don't see him on a daily basis. Yes, i know that ojo is shit and the like, so what do i know.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can't remember us ever having a player you could build a team around. In fact, I think it's a myth.
    Kavanagh was one.

Every big game we lose, sure as night follows day, there’s a thread on Colwill. There’s not a thread on Ralls and Rino, who can’t pass water. There’s not a thread on how appalling our centre backs were. There’s not a thread on Ojo who did literally nothing all game. Let’s just single out the young lad who actually did something and showed some great touches. We were crap on Saturday and he has got something. Whether it is enough, I don’t know, we’ve not seen enough but Jesus Christ, next we’ll be starting threads on why it was Philogene’s fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Kavanagh was one.

Every big game we lose, sure as night follows day, there’s a thread on Colwill. There’s not a thread on Ralls and Rino, who can’t pass water. There’s not a thread on how appalling our centre backs were. There’s not a thread on Ojo who did literally nothing all game. Let’s just single out the young lad who actually did something and showed some great touches. We were crap on Saturday and he has got something. Whether it is enough, I don’t know, we’ve not seen enough but Jesus Christ, next we’ll be starting threads on why it was Philogene’s fault.
    Agreed, I couldn’t believe it when I saw yet another Colwill thread starting - Eric, can you knock up a list showing the number of minutes played by City players per thread on here pretty sharpish please, I can tell you already who’ll be at the top of it, by miles.

Did anyone else watch the Wales v Scotland under 21 game eight days ago? Colwill played for all but a few minutes of added time in very warm conditions. It did look like he was struggling a bit towards the end, but his lack of match time has to have been a factor in that. The commentators were Scottish and so they concentrated on their own players, but the only Welsh player they talked about was Colwill. Clearly, his eight full caps alerted them about him (how’s he managed to do that and create a largely positive impression at international level if he’s so useless?).

Wales won 3-0 and played really well, they were well worth such a big win and the commentators raved about Colwill, they thought he was a cut above. Now, I accept Colwill has done little this season to justify a starting place every week for City and I think he blew a big chance when Lamouchi brought him on to play as a number ten in his first game in charge against Luton. Similarly, it was disappointing to see him not really grab his chance on Saturday, but this season he’s coming on usually when we’re playing poorly and losing.

It’s a fair point to say we don’t see him in training every day, but, going into the last month of the season, only goal difference is keeping us out of the relegation places, we’ve got a pathetic scoring record and a naturally talented young creative player (as well as two other youngsters who created a good impression last season) has barely had a kick - we must have a few far more regular first team players who are brilliant in training every day because they’re not doing much on the pitch every week when they play!

I can’t say whether how Colwill’s career will end up, but, watching him run the game last week, I couldn’t help thinking that City have failed completely to fully utilise the talent he has.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think the issue is, he needs a team built around him but probably not good enough to have a team built around him.

He’s not a Tomlin so he needs to add the effort but doesn’t seem to have it, seems an almost player at the moment. But he needs game as clearly has talent in certain areas of the pitch.
    Why does he need a team built around him to perform?

I'd love for all our youth players to come good, some will some won't, it's up to them to take the small opportunities they get and progress that into more playing time..
    Perhaps like others say he should have more time as others seem to get more chances and don't all do a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    He's a lump, and I've said it before. He may have skill but unfortunately he's built more for rugby.
    Deep lying playmaker?

Maybe we can retrain him into a Defensive Midfielder....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Thing is, he has to earn a run of games, and we don't see him on a daily basis. Yes, i know that ojo is shit and the like, so what do i know.
    Exactly this. If he isn't showing he is better than Ojo in training then it has to be a worry hasn't it.

Unless you believe Lamouchi just won't pick him despite being easily better than Ojo which I don't think is happening.

He didn't look all that mobile in the recent Wales U21 game when he dropped down from the senior squad.

Didn't Colwill get 2 assists in his last under 21s game for us? In addition to getting an assist in 25 minutes vs swansea.

I'm of the mind that if he's fit and he starts he will score and get assists. I don't think he's been given a fair chance this season. He's the best youth product we've had in a long time, support him!

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Didn't Colwill get 2 assists in his last under 21s game for us? In addition to getting an assist in 25 minutes vs swansea.

I'm of the mind that if he's fit and he starts he will score and get assists. I don't think he's been given a fair chance this season. He's the best youth product we've had in a long time, support him!
    He might have, but he looked a different player is the point I was making, and it's probably the reason why he dropped out of the senior Wales squad. Is he still having growth issues, or has that problem sorted itself out?

bizarre thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He might have, but he looked a different player is the point I was making, and it's probably the reason why he dropped out of the senior Wales squad. Is he still having growth issues, or has that problem sorted itself out?
    Bob says he looked good against Scotland u21s?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    bizarre thread
    Totally, I blame it on people having opinions and it shouldn't be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of him, but is he a better player now than when he first came on the scene, and impressed with the Welsh senior team?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Gluey is obsessed by pace, unless your name happens to be Ampadu, Colwill isn’t a Gluey type player. More important than anything I thought of Colwill in the under 21s is that the Scottish commentators (one of which was an ex player - Wilson, used to play full back for the wurzels I think) were very impressed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Colwill isn’t a Gluey type player. More important than anything I thought of Colwill in the under 21s is that the Scottish commentators (one of which was an ex player - Wilson, used to play full back for the wurzels I think) were very impressed by him.
    Is he a better player now than when he first came on the scene, and impressed with the Welsh senior team?

Is he a better player now than when he first came on the scene, and impressed with the Welsh senior team?
    he's had an injury ravaged season, and even without that you expect younger players to have peaks and troughs in their development.
    was on the pitch for 25 minutes on Saturday and got into a really good position behind the defence and delivered a great cross for the equalising goal, I really can't see why he's being singled out for criticism.

he was one of our top scorers last season, in a season he started as a teeenager- I can recall a few occasions that opposition players have remarked how good he looks.
    and he's just turned in a man of the match performance for Wales u21s.
    Steve Morison was saying earlier in the season that he need to learn to trust his body again after all the injuries - that psychological hesitation that prevents you from pushing to the limit will have a big impact - hopefully with the Wales game and the assist against Swansea he'll be coming into some confidence and we can see him kick on again

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he's had an injury ravaged season, and even without that you expect younger players to have peaks and troughs in their development.
    was on the pitch for 25 minutes on Saturday and got into a really good position behind the defence and delivered a great cross for the equalising goal, I really can't see why he's being singled out for criticism.

he was one of our top scorers last season, in a season he started as a teeenager- I can recall a few occasions that opposition players have remarked how good he looks.
    and he's just turned in a man of the match performance for Wales u21s.
    Steve Morison was saying earlier in the season that he need to learn to trust his body again after all the injuries - that psychological hesitation that prevents you from pushing to the limit will have a big impact - hopefully with the Wales game and the assist against Swansea he'll be coming into some confidence and we can see him kick on again
    It was merely an observation that he didn't look like the same player. Was I right or was I wrong? I never said he was a bad player, I was just wondering why.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Gluey is obsessed by pace, unless your name happens to be Ampadu.
    At 22 he is now one of the first names on the Wales team sheet. I know it upsets some of the detractors, but he was always going to be one of our best players.

At 22 he is now one of the first names on the Wales team sheet. I know it upsets some of the detractors, but he was always going to be one of our best players.
    who are these detractors you've invented?
    we are all aware that Ampadu is a decent player, especially when you consider what the other options are in midfield.
    he does make mistakes but that's something that will improve with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Kavanagh was one.

It's absolutely insane, I really don't understand it

He was very good in that game, a cut above the rest on the pitch as was remarked by the Scottish commentators

I haven't seen a lot of him, but is he a better player now than when he first came on the scene, and impressed with the Welsh senior team?
    "He didn't look all that mobile in the recent Wales U21 game when he dropped down from the senior squad."

Make your mind up.