+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham in the Driving Seat

Wrexham in the Driving Seat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64794476

Let’s hope they don’t throw it away.

Re: Wrexham in the Driving Seat

Guaranteed a play off spot with 10 games left!

I wouldn't be surprised if having sealed promotion this season they follow it up with promotion next season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

Looking down that table, there's about 9 or 10 clubs that were established League teams when I got into football.

Proves that relegation doesn't mean a bounce back up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Looking down that table, there's about 9 or 10 clubs that were established League teams when I got into football.

Proves that relegation doesn't mean a bounce back up.
    And there's 5 in yet lower leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    And there's 5 in yet lower leagues.
    Thee are 8 clubs in the National League North that used to play in the Football League. Most of them are phoenix clubs but, then again, so are some clubs in the Football League itself.

Scarborough Athletic, Chester, Boston United, Hereford, Darlington, Kidderminster Harriers, Southport and Bradford (Park Avenue).

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if having sealed promotion this season they follow it up with promotion next season too.
    Maybe, but the money isn't there to spend the way they have now on a continual basis.

The owners didn't pay a penny for the club, were given the cub shares after promising to invest. Wrexham's Trust own the leasehold on the land, which the owners want them to relinquish - meaning their fans lose the only real leverage they have.

They'll probably be competitive in League Two but there's only so long the documentary can go on, which will cause a loss of North American fans.

If they get into League One, that's such a tough division right now and will only get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    Thee are 8 clubs in the National League North that used to play in the Football League. Most of them are phoenix clubs but, then again, so are some clubs in the Football League itself.

Scarborough Athletic, Chester, Boston United, Hereford, Darlington, Kidderminster Harriers, Southport and Bradford (Park Avenue).
    Correct but I was referring to older league clubs pre the ending of the re-election process. I count these (apart from the bunch in the National League) Chester, Darlington, Southport, Bradford PA and Workington. Then there is Bury which I'm not even sure if they've reconstituted as a phoenix club yet

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It's definitely a possibility but I'm not so sure. I've just gone back and looked and of the last 10 teams to be promoted, only Tranmere have been promoted to League 1 (they actually did manage back to back promotions but were relegated straight away).

Currently 9 of the last 10 promoted teams are still in League 2 with Macclesfield having dissolved.

Leyton Orient 1st
    Stockport 6th
    Salford 7th
    Sutton 9th
    Barrow 10th
    Tranmere 12th
    Grimsby 16th
    Harrogate 19th
    Hartlepool 22nd
    Macclesfield -

Wrexham are on course to be crowned the best National League team ever so I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish in the playoffs in their first season but I don't think they'd win those. As good as Wrexham are they seem to fall apart a bit in big games.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    It's definitely a possibility but I'm not so sure. I've just gone back and looked and of the last 10 teams to be promoted, only Tranmere have been promoted to League 1 (they actually did manage back to back promotions but were relegated straight away).

Currently 9 of the last 10 promoted teams are still in League 2 with Macclesfield having dissolved.

Leyton Orient 1st
    Stockport 6th
    Salford 7th
    Sutton 9th
    Barrow 10th
    Tranmere 12th
    Grimsby 16th
    Harrogate 19th
    Hartlepool 22nd
    Macclesfield -

Wrexham are on course to be crowned the best National League team ever so I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish in the playoffs in their first season but I don't think they'd win those. As good as Wrexham are they seem to fall apart a bit in big games.

What's the latest with Macclesfield then? There was a programme on last year about them reforming and Robbie Savage was involved. Have they gone tits up again then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    What's the latest with Macclesfield then? There was a programme on last year about them reforming and Robbie Savage was involved. Have they gone tits up again then?
    Not sure about any connection to Savage but it seems a phoenix club have been founded and they're currently in the 8th tier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macclesfield_F.C.

Not sure about any connection to Savage but it seems a phoenix club have been founded and they're currently in the 8th tier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macclesfield_F.C.
    Here's an interesting documentary about the new Macclesfield club that Savage was involved with and which had a number of links to the club which went out of existence. 'Tis worth a gander.

Leyton Orient 1st
    Stockport 6th
    Salford 7th
    Sutton 9th
    Barrow 10th
    Tranmere 12th
    Grimsby 16th
    Harrogate 19th
    Hartlepool 22nd
    Macclesfield -

"As good as Wrexham are they seem to fall apart a bit in big games"

If they continue to spend in the transfer market then they may be a "different" Wrexham next season.

There are no guarantees of that though, so I take your point.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Maybe, but the money isn't there to spend the way they have now on a continual basis.

The owners didn't pay a penny for the club, were given the cub shares after promising to invest. Wrexham's Trust own the leasehold on the land, which the owners want them to relinquish - meaning their fans lose the only real leverage they have.

They'll probably be competitive in League Two but there's only so long the documentary can go on, which will cause a loss of North American fans.

If they get into League One, that's such a tough division right now and will only get stronger.
    Negative Nelly.

I think Wrexham will be very competitive next season, should they go up.
    They'll no doubt raid the clubs in the basement leagues, and probably add a few more good players too, given that they will probably have more to spend than most clubs in that league.

The club is being run in a sensible manner it seems, yet they're also willing to risk a bit of an outlay financially. That's more than what most clubs around them will be able to do.

I reckon they'll need a good dozen or so players though, they're definitely still shakey defensively, and probably need a good bit more in midfield.

They will have to adhere to wage cap in League Two so can’t buy their way through the league like they have Non League.

It’s what has stopped Salford in their tracks

Flip the script, if I'd followed an NBA team for a few years due to a TV show I'd probably remain a fan after the show... Could easily be the case for Americans who have taken a liking to Wrexham

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They will have to adhere to wage cap in League Two so can’t buy their way through the league like they have Non League.

It’s what has stopped Salford in their tracks
    Haven't they scrapped the wage cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Here's an interesting documentary about the new Macclesfield club that Savage was involved with and which had a number of links to the club which went out of existence. 'Tis worth a gander.
    It was a very good watch when it 1st came out, shows what a local grass rots non league club has to do to survive ( which when you consider the amount of money floating around in the EPL, its just a crazy situation )

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Flip the script, if I'd followed an NBA team for a few years due to a TV show I'd probably remain a fan after the show... Could easily be the case for Americans who have taken a liking to Wrexham
    Taken a liking to Wrexham or taken a liking to the team two North Americans are associated with?
    If the rumours of Reynolds getting involved with an Ice Hockey team, the national sport of Canada, and getting a documentary around that are true, I'd be surprised if many Americans still follow them,

No North American owners, no need for ESPN to cover them, etc.

Americans love a bandwagon. I can’t see many of American fans sticking around for too long after the documentary finishes. Which I can’t see being longer than 4 seasons to be honest unless they get back to back promotions.

Taken a liking to Wrexham or taken a liking to the team two North Americans are associated with?
    If the rumours of Reynolds getting involved with an Ice Hockey team, the national sport of Canada, and getting a documentary around that are true, I'd be surprised if many Americans still follow them,

No North American owners, no need for ESPN to cover them, etc.
    I google "Boston Celtics results"

I don't care if there is sky sports coverage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

A question for those who know the promotion/playoff rules in that league:
    I just looked at the league table to see where Wrexham are, and I can see that there is a dotted line below 1st position, which obviously means automatic promotion.
    However there are also dotted lines below the team in 3rd place, and then another dotted line below the team in 7th… what’s that about?

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    I just looked at the league table to see where Wrexham are, and I can see that there is a dotted line below 1st position, which obviously means automatic promotion.
    However there are also dotted lines below the team in 3rd place, and then another dotted line below the team in 7th… what’s that about?
    The dotted lines are to distinguish the three different sections of the final promotion mix.

1. League Winner gets automatic promotion.
    2. Runners up and third placed teams are automatically through to the play off semi finals.
    3. Fourth to seventh placed teams play off for semi final play off spots against runners up and third placed teams.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    ithink its 4 to 7 play off against each other with the winners meeting 2nd and third