Just been listening to a New Statesman podcast where some interesting polling about general attitudes of the public was discussed. It probably doesn’t come as a surprise to learn that the political classes are out of step with the public to a large degree. For example, a large minority (45%) are in favour of the death penalty and around twice as many are regarded as socially “authoritarian” as there are those who are socially liberal.

Despite this, the culture wars approach favoured by many Conservative politicians is not really registering because people are being influenced mainly by the economy- immigration is not the issue it was, neither is Brexit and, apparently the trans rights issue barely figures at all.

I must admit I was reassured to hear that last bit. I think those who read the politics threads on here would not be surprised to learn that I think of myself as left leaning, in the minority who’d be classed as socially liberal and a supporter of gay rights, racial equality etc. However, the trans issue does not register with me at all. That probably doesn’t cast me in a very good light, but I’m sorry, it’s something that I cannot get very worked up about at all - it would seem I’m not alone in feeling like that.