+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Masters

US Masters

I've been given tickets for Augusta later this week.
    I've never been to a golf tournament, does anybody have any tips on the best way to "do" a pro golf tournament?

Re: US Masters

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I've never been to a golf tournament, does anybody have any tips on the best way to "do" a pro golf tournament?
    You’ve been “given” tickets to the greatest golf tournament in the world and you want to know how to “do” a pro golf tournament? I’d give them to somebody who would appreciate them more than you will ever imagine !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    You’ve been “given” tickets to the greatest golf tournament in the world and you want to know how to “do” a pro golf tournament? I’d give them to somebody who would appreciate them more than you will ever imagine !!!
    No need to be like that!

I was looking for examples like following a particular pairing or just camping on one hole.

Essentially, how to make the most of the experience.

Surely that's why he wants to learn what to do, behave, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely that's why he wants to learn what to do, behave, etc?
    That’s like suggesting somebody from Cardiff who has never followed football should learn how to “do” being a City fan upon acquiring tickets to City in the Champions League final. Do you have any idea how much of the holy grail U.S. Masters tickets are? My pal played for Wales as a 14/15 year old against the likes of Luke Donald etc. and would give his left nut to go to Augusta. You can’t just ****ing learn how to “do” the biggest golf tournament in the world by asking an internet messageboard.

That’s like suggesting somebody from Cardiff who has never followed football should learn how to “do” being a City fan upon acquiring tickets to City in the Champions League final. Do you have any idea how much of the holy grail U.S. Masters tickets are? My pal played for Wales as a 14/15 year old against the likes of Luke Donald etc. and would give his left nut to go to Augusta. You can’t just ****ing learn how to “do” the biggest golf tournament in the world by asking an internet messageboard.
    if you've never been before and are fortunate enough to get tickets then asking for advice is the right thing to do. He's not asking to become a masters golf fan, a fan of a particular player or a fan of any golf in general.

he got a massive opportunity, and in my mind is doing the right thing to get some tips. Surely you are not suggesting he gives the chance of a lifetime to someone else.

I'm not a musician but have been given back stage /VIP tickets to gigs before. I didn't pass on the chance but I did speak to friends who helped me enjoy the experience better by being informed.

I've also been to Silverstone as a guest but not specifically as an F1 fan. I enjoyed the experience and learned a lot from being part of the day.

You think because I've never been to a golf tournament, that I shouldn't be able to go to this as my first one due to the prestige of it?

If not, was it the way that I worded my post that grips your shit? The quoutation marks maybe?

Should I just join a golf forum to ask?
    How about you just posting your thoughts on boxing to Check Hook or something?

Is asking on here if anybody has done a skydive for instance going to raise your pulse?

This board is a decent sounding board for most things and I'm sure that several people on here have been to golf tournaments.
    Hardly unreasonable FFS.

I know next to nothing about golf, but I know how prestigious the Masters is. I'm sorry I can't give you advice. And I'm sorry you didn't get much from this thread. I'd say just go and enjoy yourself. As long as you get something out of it, you did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I know next to nothing about golf, but I know how prestigious the Masters is. I'm sorry I can't give you advice. And I'm sorry you didn't get much from this thread. I'd say just go and enjoy yourself. As long as you get something out of it, you did it right.
    Nice One 👍

From what I can gather, you just need to shout "get in the hole!" at random intervals.

Firstly check what type of ticket. Does it have access to grandstands or not. Basically you have two choices, find somewhere & stay there, probably around Amen Corner, then you get to see everyone but only once. Or walk with a group a few holes and then drop back to the next group. If you do choose to stay with one group it’s unlikely that you get close to the greens but you’ll see them on the fairways only.
    Check your ticket for what you can’t take in, normally very restrictive, for even things like water.
    Enjoy.

I’ve been to a few tournaments in my time, mostly at Chepstow mind, and tried both following a specific group and parking myself at one hole - i eventually came down on the side of the latter option and definitely would do for the Masters given the quality of the field. Somewhere around “Amen Corner” would be the best bet, but there’s going to be plenty wanting to do that and you’d have to be there very early to manage that I’d have thought - the par three sixteenth would be a good place to watch from as well.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve been to a few tournaments in my time, mostly at Chepstow mind, and tried both following a specific group and parking myself at one hole - i eventually came down on the side of the latter option and definitely would do for the Masters given the quality of the field. Somewhere around “Amen Corner” would be the best bet, but there’s going to be plenty wanting to do that and you’d have to be there very early to manage that I’d have thought - the par three sixteenth would be a good place to watch from as well.
    Agreed in the stands at the latter holes, as close to the 18th as you can get, have a fantastic time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    From what I can gather, you just need to shout "get in the hole!" at random intervals.
    And don't forget to dress accordingly...

Probably wouldn't mention the champions dinner meet and greet you have.

Firstly, not jealous at all…honest 😂

Like mentioned before, it depends what type of tickets you have. For me, I’d want to walk the whole course and follow a group for the full experience. Bear in mind though, if you follow one of the marque groups, the crowds will be huge so you may not get to see much.

I'd definitely follow an early group and as I'm doing so, keep my eye on possible vantage points for later in the day.
    Also get yourself a periscope and shout 'You're the man' and 'Get in the hole' as often as you can.

Thanks for the advice!.
    We are driving down to Lexington, South Carolina tomorrow which is about an hour from Augusta.
    Early night and an early start around 4.00am to get there and que.

We have some lawn chairs that are going on 16 so look out for the herbert with the Cardiff City cap on.

Thanks for the advice!.
    We are driving down to Lexington, South Carolina tomorrow which is about an hour from Augusta.
    Early night and an early start around 4.00am to get there and que.

We have some lawn chairs that are going on 16 so look out for the herbert with the Cardiff City cap on.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what?
    je pense qu'il voulait dire file d'attente

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    je pense qu'il voulait dire file d'attente
    je suis au courant de ça

what?
    Queue 👍

je suis au courant de ça
    très bien

I went to the open at Troon a few years ago. We did both, following some groups to see the course plus time in the stands for favourite holes and a rest. Have a great time. I’ll be looking out for your city cap although think they are pretty strict on random stuff like that.

Im sure it will be a brilliant experience.

Make the most of it. This is Augusta in the Spring id be getting advice from those that have been there or searching the web for advice on getting the most of the experience at one of the greatest courses in golf. Not CCMB.

Enjoy.