+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Madrid-Travel

Madrid-Travel

Thinking of going there end of April for three days, people's thoughts please on almost anything and everything. Warts an all, food, culture, atmosphere etc... Cheers in advance.

Re: Madrid-Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Thinking of going there end of April for three days, people's thoughts please on almost anything and everything. Warts an all, food, culture, atmosphere etc... Cheers in advance.
    same question but for Barcelona, as I'm going there for 3 days end of April

Madrid is a more down-to-earth capital city than many in that it didn't used to have rip-off prices (although I haven't been there for a few years). The Prado art museum used to be free on Sundays. Oh, and try the churros con chocolate!

Barcelona is a different kettle of fish. Much more touristy and watch out for pickpockets and the tricks that are a precursor to them. Well worth a visit though but do book tickets in advance for Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia (church) as you won't get them on the day. A stunning and very original piece of architecture. The Nou Camp lacked atmosphere when I attended a game as everyone seemed to be neutral and who made their appreciation evident by polite clapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Madrid is a more down-to-earth capital city than many in that it didn't used to have rip-off prices (although I haven't been there for a few years). The Prado art museum used to be free on Sundays. Oh, and try the churros con chocolate!

Barcelona is a different kettle of fish. Much more touristy and watch out for pickpockets and the tricks that are a precursor to them. Well worth a visit though but do book tickets in advance for Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia (church) as you won't get them on the day. A stunning and very original piece of architecture. The Nou Camp lacked atmosphere when I attended a game as everyone seemed to be neutral and who made their appreciation evident by polite clapping.
    thanks - you should bring out a travel guide :)

Madrid for three days is long enough? I'm not massively into the tourist stuff, I like to dip in and out, but the person that I am traveling with is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Madrid for three days is long enough? I'm not massively into the tourist stuff, I like to dip in and out, but the person that I am traveling with is.
    For me, three days in Madrid would suffice. However, others on here may think differently, of course

I had Barcelona/Madrid pencilled in for November..flight to Barca train to Madrid. Other things came up so had to cancel. Pretty gutted.

Dembe, you may be interested in a small carry-on (free of charge) piece of hand luggage that converts to the differing dimensions stipulated by Ryanair and easyJet, whether you use it as your sole piece of luggage or a supplementary reticule to a cabin bag that you pay for.

As the two airlines are charging as much for baggage as for passengers it's worth a shout. Just got one myself.
    https://amzn.eu/d/9HGV0T4

Went to Barcelona last October and you're right about La Sagrada, it was heaving although well worth the visit. The bus tours are good value. you can hop on and off as you please and it's well worth stopping at Montjuic where you have great views of the entire city. One word of warning,avoid a company called Suntransfers for travel to and from The Airport. Didn't show up for our return and only a frantic dash for a taxi meant we caught our flight.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Went to Barcelona last October and you're right about La Sagrada, it was heaving although well worth the visit. The bus tours are good value. you can hop on and off as you please and it's well worth stopping at Montjuic where you have great views of the entire city. One word of warning,avoid a company called Suntransfers for travel to and from The Airport. Didn't show up for our return and only a frantic dash for a taxi meant we caught our flight.
    thanks, I'd definitely be interested in the Sagrada familia, but I doubt the Mrs will want to go, she's mostly interested in eating and shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    thanks, I'd definitely be interested in the Sagrada familia, but I doubt the Mrs will want to go, she's mostly interested in eating and shopping
    Get her to buy a wafer and candle at LSG.

Piggy backing the thread, I’d appreciate any feedback on Berlin, Prague, Vienna or Budapest? I’m doing a tour in a couple of months. Cheers in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Piggy backing the thread, I’d appreciate any feedback on Berlin, Prague, Vienna or Budapest? I’m doing a tour in a couple of months. Cheers in advance
    We should actually have a dedicated Travel thread, like the Glammy or Academy ones.

Dembe, you may be interested in a small carry-on (free of charge) piece of hand luggage that converts to the differing dimensions stipulated by Ryanair and easyJet, whether you use it as your sole piece of luggage or a supplementary reticule to a cabin bag that you pay for.

As the two airlines are charging as much for baggage as for passengers it's worth a shout. Just got one myself.
    https://amzn.eu/d/9HGV0T4

That's a seriously good shout their TBG, the times i've sweated on hand luggage with those two Charlatans.

Went to Berlin five years ago and found prices to be much more reasonable than say London or Paris. The city is surprisingly compact and most of the main sights, Brandenburg gate , Reichstag and checkpoint Charlie are easily walkable. My personal highlights were The Naturkunde museum which housed a large collection of dinosaur skeletons including a T Rex and a very moving visit to The Topography of terror which is built on the site of the former SS HQ and documents Nazi persecution in those terrible times. A large section of The Berlin wall is nearby as well. You can do a city tour in a Trabant if the mood takes you.

All worth a visit but I've had a problem visiting modern-day Berlin after the incredibly intriguing visit I made there in the late seventies when the wall still stood (and which I became fascinated about). Vienna had the most cultured buskers I had ever come across.
    From Budapest you could take the train to Bratislava and return to the former on a boat on the Danube. Prague has become almost too popular.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Went to Berlin five years ago and found prices to be much more reasonable than say London or Paris. The city is surprisingly compact and most of the main sights, Brandenburg gate , Reichstag and checkpoint Charlie are easily walkable. My personal highlights were The Naturkunde museum which housed a large collection of dinosaur skeletons including a T Rex and a very moving visit to The Topography of terror which is built on the site of the former SS HQ and documents Nazi persecution in those terrible times. A large section of The Berlin wall is nearby as well. You can do a city tour in a Trabant if the mood takes you.
    Cheers. I must force myself to return there soon and will take your tips on board myself.

Madrid is a great City, go to the Las Ventas bullring, very impressive, did the tour and was blown away and learned a fair bit.
    Head to the Plaza Mayor, which is a big square and a nice place to have a drink in the sun, San Miguel Market is a great place for some proper local tapas where you will find all the locals eating and drinking. And of course make sure you go to the Bernabeu and do the tour and watch the game if they are home.
    And as for getting around use the Metro buy a 3 day ticket very cheap and easy to get around the City. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    same question but for Barcelona, as I'm going there for 3 days end of April
    I've been living in Barcelona over 20 years, tourists things speak for themselves but if you have specific's (good food, cocktails, jazz music, getting high etc) i can help. If you let me know your neighborhood maybe can point out some food places or points of interest.

If you have interest in the Spanish War I know an excellent walking tour (same for Madrid) that isn't your typical style of pointing at landmarks and spitting dates.

If you do do tourist things, buy tickets and go early, public transport to move around, and pick pocket are a ****ing scourge, however only seems to be idiots that it happens too!

Goya's black paintings in the Prado are simultaneously grim and stunning.
    Look up wherever you are, there's always decent architecture above shop level (that applies in many places including Cardiff of course).

Did 3 of those 4 last year on an interail, Prague was a ****ing nightmare but i had a great time, THE PEOPLE lol....mind you last time i was there it was -18! We had food by the Castle that we thought would be a tourist trap but we were starving and moaning teenagers. some of the best food of the 3 weeks and pennies (got ripped off the next day by the river but you expect that in these places).
    Berlin was really good, but this is such a spread out city (public transport is easy), but great for urban safari and i have to say the best people ever, cannot imagine Londoners or Barcelona folk ever being so open and helpful. Spent time in Kreuzberg.
    Vienna was a very short stop but couple of the main museums and easy to find none tourist bars.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I've been living in Barcelona over 20 years, tourists things speak for themselves but if you have specific's (good food, cocktails, jazz music, getting high etc) i can help. If you let me know your neighborhood maybe can point out some food places or points of interest.

If you have interest in the Spanish War I know an excellent walking tour (same for Madrid) that isn't your typical style of pointing at landmarks and spitting dates.

If you do do tourist things, buy tickets and go early, public transport to move around, and pick pocket are a ****ing scourge, however only seems to be idiots that it happens too!
    Useful info for many of us. Cheers.

Cheers. I must force myself to return there soon and will take your tips on board myself.
    Berlin is excellent. It is huge and there is so much to see. It has so many levels of history - Frederick the Great, the Prussians in the 19th century, the Nazi years, post war, rise of East Germany, the wall years and the years since the wall came down.

We have been four times in the last few years and keep finding more places to see. I think Berlin is a 7 or 8 visit place there is that much to see.

Some which may interest you are the Stasi Museum - they were World class at espionage and the building is at it was when the wall came down. Some of the spying equipment is fascinating. Also worth visiting is the Stasi Prison - this is also as it was left when the wall came down. The prisoners were mainly political ones and there were more interrogation rooms than cells.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Berlin is excellent. It is huge and there is so much to see. It has so many levels of history - Frederick the Great, the Prussians in the 19th century, the Nazi years, post war, rise of East Germany, the wall years and the years since the wall came down.

We have been four times in the last few years and keep finding more places to see. I think Berlin is a 7 or 8 visit place there is that much to see.

Some which may interest you are the Stasi Museum - they were World class at espionage and the building is at it was when the wall came down. Some of the spying equipment is fascinating. Also worth visiting is the Stasi Prison - this is also as it was left when the wall came down. The prisoners were mainly political ones and there were more interrogation rooms than cells.
    Cheers. I attended a Stasi museum in Leipzig last year and I'm greatly interested in Germany and its history. I've been going there since 1976 and once lived there - but not in Berlin.

From Budapest you could take the train to Bratislava and return to the former on a boat on the Danube. Prague has become almost too popular.
    I used to be based in Bratislava for a couple of months but never got chance to do Budapest or Vienna. I’ve been to Prague for a day on business, it was gridlocked & the most tourists I’ve seen in one place. I need to find the right place to stay. I’m going south from Vienna, thru Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, then back thru Hungary, probably my last chance to see some of these countries