+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Madrid-Travel

Re: Madrid-Travel

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Berlin is excellent. It is huge and there is so much to see. It has so many levels of history - Frederick the Great, the Prussians in the 19th century, the Nazi years, post war, rise of East Germany, the wall years and the years since the wall came down.

We have been four times in the last few years and keep finding more places to see. I think Berlin is a 7 or 8 visit place there is that much to see.

Some which may interest you are the Stasi Museum - they were World class at espionage and the building is at it was when the wall came down. Some of the spying equipment is fascinating. Also worth visiting is the Stasi Prison - this is also as it was left when the wall came down. The prisoners were mainly political ones and there were more interrogation rooms than cells.
    What do you recommend for a long weekend, i.e must see priorities?

By the way for anyone who hasn’t been, Dresden is a stunning city.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I used to be based in Bratislava for a couple of months but never got chance to do Budapest or Vienna. I’ve been to Prague for a day on business, it was gridlocked & the most tourists I’ve seen in one place. I need to find the right place to stay. I’m going south from Vienna, thru Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, then back thru Hungary, probably my last chance to see some of these countries
    Slovenia was an undiscovered gem when I visited it many moons ago. (In fact, I have some entries in the Lonely Planet guide as it poorly covered the NW part of the country at that time). Bosnia is beautiful but still suffers greatly from what is effectively ethnic sectarianism. Everyone knows of the charms of Croatia although it's very touristy, of course.

By the way, if anyone has personal experience of Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan I would be grateful for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    What do you recommend for a long weekend, i.e must see priorities?
    Very much depends on your interests. If the Nazi period is your main interest then Topography of Terror, the Berlin Bunker and a tour of Tempelhof Airport are worth doing. The Holocaust memorial near the Brandenburg Gate is very moving - especially the exhibition underneath.

If it is the Cold War and the wall then the Wall Museum on Bernauer Strasse, the Palace of Tears at Friedrichstrasse Station - this was one of the few places where East Germans could cross in West Germany and you can still see the doors they used to go through. The East Side Gallery is a bit disappointing. It is at one of the few remaining bits of wall left and has the famous painting of Honecker and Brezhnev kissing. Much of where the wall stood is marked by a line of cobbles in the road/pavement - easily seen in front of the Brandenburg Gate and down to Potsdamer Platz. The DDR museum is small, but excellent and shows life as it was in East Germany until the wall came down - it was a planned economy without a real plan. The Checkpoint Charlie museum is a commercial one and pretty good. Checkpoint Charlie itself is a bit disappointing, because it is not the original building.

If you are into technology the German Technical Museum is brilliant. For general German history the national museum is excellent as are all the museums on Museum Island. If you are into Egyptology then the famous bust of Nefertiti is in the Neus museum.

Just wandering round Berlin is good as well - such as walking from the Brandenburg Gate along Unter den Linden to AlexanderPlatz. The city itself is enormous and many of the sites are quite a long way apart. However the public transport is brilliant. One thing that is interesting is that the trams are only in what was old East Berlin. West Berlin ripped them all up. The centre of what was West Berlin is mainly along the Ku'Damm which is a couple of miles from the Brandenburg Gate. Most of the best things to see are in what was East Berlin.

Very much depends on your interests. If the Nazi period is your main interest then Topography of Terror, the Berlin Bunker and a tour of Tempelhof Airport are worth doing. The Holocaust memorial near the Brandenburg Gate is very moving - especially the exhibition underneath.

If it is the Cold War and the wall then the Wall Museum on Bernauer Strasse, the Palace of Tears at Friedrichstrasse Station - this was one of the few places where East Germans could cross in West Germany and you can still see the doors they used to go through. The East Side Gallery is a bit disappointing. It is at one of the few remaining bits of wall left and has the famous painting of Honecker and Brezhnev kissing. Much of where the wall stood is marked by a line of cobbles in the road/pavement - easily seen in front of the Brandenburg Gate and down to Potsdamer Platz. The DDR museum is small, but excellent and shows life as it was in East Germany until the wall came down - it was a planned economy without a real plan. The Checkpoint Charlie museum is a commercial one and pretty good. Checkpoint Charlie itself is a bit disappointing, because it is not the original building.

If you are into technology the German Technical Museum is brilliant. For general German history the national museum is excellent as are all the museums on Museum Island. If you are into Egyptology then the famous bust of Nefertiti is in the Neus museum.

Just wandering round Berlin is good as well - such as walking from the Brandenburg Gate along Unter den Linden to AlexanderPlatz. The city itself is enormous and many of the sites are quite a long way apart. However the public transport is brilliant. One thing that is interesting is that the trams are only in what was old East Berlin. West Berlin ripped them all up. The centre of what was West Berlin is mainly along the Ku'Damm which is a couple of miles from the Brandenburg Gate. Most of the best things to see are in what was East Berlin.
    All noted. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I've been living in Barcelona over 20 years, tourists things speak for themselves but if you have specific's (good food, cocktails, jazz music, getting high etc) i can help. If you let me know your neighborhood maybe can point out some food places or points of interest.

If you have interest in the Spanish War I know an excellent walking tour (same for Madrid) that isn't your typical style of pointing at landmarks and spitting dates.

If you do do tourist things, buy tickets and go early, public transport to move around, and pick pocket are a ****ing scourge, however only seems to be idiots that it happens too!
    I've not booked the accommodation yet, just flights, any pointers you can give food wise would be great - not looking for michelin star stuff, maybe some seafood etc

I've been living in Barcelona over 20 years, tourists things speak for themselves but if you have specific's (good food, cocktails, jazz music, getting high etc) i can help. If you let me know your neighborhood maybe can point out some food places or points of interest.

If you have interest in the Spanish War I know an excellent walking tour (same for Madrid) that isn't your typical style of pointing at landmarks and spitting dates.

If you do do tourist things, buy tickets and go early, public transport to move around, and pick pocket are a ****ing scourge, however only seems to be idiots that it happens too!
    Tell us about how you ended up in Barcelona, old fruit. Sounds like an interesting back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Tell us about how you ended up in Barcelona, old fruit. Sounds like an interesting back story.
    Sadly not that interesting, met a Catalan lady in Glasgow University and chanced my luck. Still together, kids, the lot!! Tired of the city now, just hanging on to till the kids fly the nest before moving up to the Costa Brava.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've not booked the accommodation yet, just flights, any pointers you can give food wise would be great - not looking for michelin star stuff, maybe some seafood etc
    Will get back to you with some strong recommendations

Sadly not that interesting, met a Catalan lady in Glasgow University and chanced my luck. Still together, kids, the lot!! Tired of the city now, just hanging on to till the kids fly the nest before moving up to the Costa Brava.
    Well that sounds pretty interesting to me Are you able to declare how you earn a crust out there?

Well that sounds pretty interesting to me Are you able to declare how you earn a crust out there?
    Pickpocketing

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Pickpocketing

Bullshit jobs to be honest, nothing to what i studied. Worked 5 jobs since being here, only 1 was a local company going global, the rest are US and Swiss companies mainly.

Currently in a huge US IT company, helping them in-source what was previously serviced in Malaysia, was easy street that got complicated very quickly as our biggest centre was in Russia (previously acquired company). Effectively lifted about 300 plus people out (with their families and pets) to centres in Spain, Canada, Australia and Bulgaria. But if it was to disappear overnight, nobody would notice. As Murray Bookchin said:

while Social-Democratic and Communist theoreticians babbled about a society with "work for all," the Dadaists, those magnificent madmen, demanded unemployment for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Pickpocketing
    Market is saturated!

Bullshit jobs to be honest, nothing to what i studied. Worked 5 jobs since being here, only 1 was a local company going global, the rest are US and Swiss companies mainly.

Currently in a huge US IT company, helping them in-source what was previously serviced in Malaysia, was easy street that got complicated very quickly as our biggest centre was in Russia (previously acquired company). Effectively lifted about 300 plus people out (with their families and pets) to centres in Spain, Canada, Australia and Bulgaria. But if it was to disappear overnight, nobody would notice. As Murray Bookchin said:

while Social-Democratic and Communist theoreticians babbled about a society with "work for all," the Dadaists, those magnificent madmen, demanded unemployment for everybody.
    Well your history sounds pretty interesting to me

Thanks, excellent feedback. We’ll plot a course thru your recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Thinking of going there end of April for three days, people's thoughts please on almost anything and everything. Warts an all, food, culture, atmosphere etc... Cheers in advance.
    Go! Immediately

It’s my favourite city in Spain. The food is amazing, it’s just tapas mad and it’s cheap, there’s loads to do. If you find food is expensive, you’re looking in the wrong place! Just get prepared to have your evening meal late, and I mean really late! The museums can be free to go into, both Reina Sofia and Prado are musts in my opinion. 3 days is good, I would really recommend having a day trip to Toledo as well. It’s 45 ish mins on the train, and it is a fascinating place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    same question but for Barcelona, as I'm going there for 3 days end of April
    I’ve never had an issue in Barca but you have to be aware of pickpockets and stay in the right places. It is a great place but be aware, there are loads of tourist traps. Do Sagrada and Gaudi stuff, they’re great. I went with my partner in 2022, and we got in the same day but it might be worth booking a bit more in advance, as when I went to SF in 2018, we had to book 2 days in advance! You’ll have a great time!

Well your history sounds pretty interesting to me
    Yeah, work is the least interesting part of the whole 20 odd years, but its a fantastic country and people (Catalans and Spanish), like most places has its issues and not perfect, but as a well traveled man yourself, sometimes you just fit in a place instantly and recognize it.

Soft day in work tomorrow as the rest of Spain are off so will get the restaurants and bars

Hey, these might not be the best, but they are the ones we use. Most will need a reservation. Let me know if you need anything else

Fish / Paella

Ca la Nuri
    https://restaurantcalanuri.com/

Barraca
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...Catalonia.html

Italian
    DONKILO RESTAURANT
    Donkilo Restaurant – DonKilo
    donkilobarcelona.com

Al Passatore – Not super special but we’ve be going over 20 years

Tapas
    La Pepita

Bodegueta (La Bodegueta) (go inside, outside for tourists)
    LA BODEGUETA, Barcelona - Rambla de Catalunya 100, La Dreta de l'Eixample - Menú y Precios - Tripadvisor

Hey, these might not be the best, but they are the ones we use. Most will need a reservation. Let me know if you need anything else

Fish / Paella

Ca la Nuri

Barraca

Italian
    DONKILO RESTAURANT
    donkilobarcelona.com

Tapas
    La Pepita

LA BODEGUETA, Barcelona - Rambla de Catalunya 100, La Dreta de l'Eixample - Menú y Precios - Tripadvisor
    that's great, thanks

Yeah, work is the least interesting part of the whole 20 odd years, but its a fantastic country and people (Catalans and Spanish), like most places has its issues and not perfect, but as a well traveled man yourself, sometimes you just fit in a place instantly and recognize it.

Soft day in work tomorrow as the rest of Spain are off so will get the restaurants and bars
    I love the fact I always find different places to go, places to eat, clubs back in the day etc…helps that an old mate from cardiff lives there, he’s been there about 20 yrs too. Knows all the best spots ( sometimes literally a door in a back alley with no sign on it)
    I could wander around Barca for days…..must try Madrid and Valencia too soon

Fish / Paella

Ca la Nuri

Barraca

Italian
    DONKILO RESTAURANT
    donkilobarcelona.com

Tapas
    La Pepita

Els Quatre Gats still going?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I love the fact I always find different places to go, places to eat, clubs back in the day etc…helps that an old mate from cardiff lives there, he’s been there about 20 yrs too. Knows all the best spots ( sometimes literally a door in a back alley with no sign on it)
    I could wander around Barca for days…..must try Madrid and Valencia too soon
    We've spoke before, im well acquainted with Mr Moore lol. He hasn't changed a bit and whilst im a family man now, he'll know all the good spots for sure ....still keeps his nose to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Els Quatre Gats still going?
    Of course but its definitely for tourists these days, still worth a visit though

Madrid is definitely worth a visit, Valencia isnt that great to be honest, better places up north or down south