+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relegation

Relegation

Would it be a disaster if we were relegated , I ask this as a few Plymouth fans I know have had a great few seasons in Lee Gwan pushing for promotion, with excellent attendances both home and away.

A chance to reset perhaps ?

Re: Relegation

Absolute disaster

The End

LOL we will not get crowds if relegated...you'll be looking at 8,9k. Cardiff fans are an odd bunch , very used to hard times and desperate
    for success. They won't be easily won over

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Would it be a disaster if we were relegated , I ask this as a few Plymouth fans I know have had a great few seasons in Lee Gwan pushing for promotion, with excellent attendances both home and away.

If it meant our owners take stock of the situation, realise they've got it wrong in a big way and made large changes or sold the club to somebody who will run it properly I would take relegation now.

Fact is we will just have the same people making bad decisions at a lower league level with a lesser budget.

I do think it will be delaying the inevitable if we stayed up though. We would just be hoping there are three worse teams in the league next season after a summer of recruiting freebies and loan players who command no loan fee.

Relegation would be a big blow to the club though. I think Tan and his merry men will make the same bad decisions just at a lower level. I would honestly expect all players who have any option to jump ship to do so. I think those thinking this squad minus the loan players and players who will be snapped up by Championship clubs will push for promotion against the likes of Ipswich, Derby etc could be in for quite the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    LOL we will not get crowds if relegated...you'll be looking at 8,9k. Cardiff fans are an odd bunch , very used to hard times and desperate
    If we get 22,200 against Sunderland in the next game our average will be just over 19,000 this season. Do you really think 10,000 fans will disappear

We have a rather fickle support - sell out crowds in PL and when we were getting promoted - rubbish crowds at all other times that I can remember. Financial suicide, fan base withering away, transfer embargo still in place and already with plenty of debt.

It's a NO from me

If we get 22,200 against Sunderland in the next game our average will be just over 19,000 this season. Do you really think 10,000 fans will disappear
    Yes , it's happened before

Complete disaster, one a bad summer of recruitment which is very possible under an embargo and can quickly find ourselves the wrong end of league 1

Our average ticket sales will be 19k for this season. Our average attendance is probably closer to 14k or 15k. Attendance counts ticket holders who don’t turn up.

I don’t think our actual attendance would drop much. Maybe down to 12k-13k. Our official attendance will drop by quite a few thousand to more accurately reflect the real attendances.

People said this when we were in the prem.

Yep

We lost 10000 after relegation from the Premier league

We won't have many fans keen on games against league one teams

At the moment our home gates are boosted by large followings from Bristol City , Birmingham , Coventry , West Brom , Swansea etc

We won't be getting many gates with 2000 away fans if we go down

So less interest from home fans and less away fans

Yes I can see an average of 19k being nearer 10 k

A Reset ?

That term has been frequently used

It means less income , poorer quality players and probably a lower league position

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    People said this when we were in the prem.
    Said what?

The crowds are now 14k less than they were in the Premier League and we're staring relegation in the face with one of the shittest and gutless squads we've had at this level.

Not sure it is proving anybody that said we'd turn to crap after the Premier League wrong to be fair.

Unless you're replying to the original post that is. In which case yeah, all good dropping down with people who have a plan. Our lot are clueless. Tan will sack Lamouchi because somebody will need to be blamed then god knows which manager will come off his wheel of fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Said what?

The crowds are now 14k less than they were in the Premier League and we're staring relegation in the face with one of the shittest and gutless squads we've had at this level.

Not sure it is proving anybody that said we'd turn to crap after the Premier League wrong to be fair.

Unless you're replying to the original post that is. In which case yeah, all good dropping down with people who have a plan. Our lot are clueless. Tan will sack Lamouchi because somebody will need to be blamed then god knows which manager will come off his wheel of fortune.
    Yes didn't quite anyone so just original post mate.

Yes didn't quite anyone so just original post mate.
    Fair enough. My apologies.

Just shocked anybody who thinks relegation will mean a reset.

How do you reset with the same people doing the same thing with less money? Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Fair enough. My apologies.

Just shocked anybody who thinks relegation will mean a reset.

How do you reset with the same people doing the same thing with less money? Madness.
    Exactly, dread to think where this shambles could bottom out.

It's just people trying desperately to look for some positive, can't blame them too much but it makes little sense. I suppose at least we won't have to play Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Absolute disaster

The End
    All there is to say!

I don’t see us losing as man fans as when we drop from the Prem, that’s I’d assume to people wanting to see the opposition rather than us. I know people who bought season tickets just to see Liverpool.

I doubt people are buying tickets in the championship for those reasons. No doubt it will drop but not as much.

Exactly, dread to think where this shambles could bottom out.

It's just people trying desperately to look for some positive, can't blame them too much but it makes little sense. I suppose at least we won't have to play Swansea.
    I'd try to find some if I had any faith in the owner and board.

I'd love for us to have a rethink, get the right people around and supporting Lamouchi, be it after survival and even in League 1. I just think if we do go down they'll be trigger happy again and who knows who will be in the hot seat. We are not in any place to gamble again, let alone while spending pennies over the summer and embarking on some other plan built on sand.

Looks like Leyton Orient, Northampton and Stevenage will be going up from league 2 to league 1, plus one from Carlisle, Stockport, Bradford, Salford and Mansfield. Hard to see much of a crowd for any of them.
    Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham become our local derbies.
    Embarrassing if that becomes our level, as well as financially crippling.

Relegation would be a disaster.

Talk of resets etc is bollox.

Obviously if we stay up next season will be very likely be more of the same. But staying in the Championship will be easier than getting out of L1.

As badly run as we are though if we do go down and wise up. A season of consolidation with some reasonable recruitment and a gradual clearout of most of this squad and it doesn't have to be the 80s , 90s all over again.

I reckon we can get back within 3 seasons if they wise up. Big if though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yep

We lost 10000 after relegation from the Premier league

We won't have many fans keen on games against league one teams

At the moment our home gates are boosted by large followings from Bristol City , Birmingham , Coventry , West Brom , Swansea etc

We won't be getting many gates with 2000 away fans if we go down

So less interest from home fans and less away fans

Yes I can see an average of 19k being nearer 10 k
    I think you would get a similar away support as this season barring Bristol City. Even Exeter average 800 away. We have a new ground for supporters to visit as well.

Nearly every club sells out for the match at Derby and I can see even clubs like Shrewsbury binging 1,000 plus

https://fanbanter.co.uk/average-away...son-january/2/

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Relegation would be a disaster.

Talk of resets etc is bollox.

Obviously if we stay up next season will be very likely be more of the same. But staying in the Championship will be easier than getting out of L1.

As badly run as we are though if we do go down and wise up. A season of consolidation with some reasonable recruitment and a gradual clearout of most of this squad and it doesn't have to be the 80s , 90s all over again.

I reckon we can get back within 3 seasons if they wise up. Big if though.
    If they wise up. Have you seen any evidence of them wising up?

They persist with Dalman and Choo despite it being evident to everybody but Tan that we need some football men on the board.

Since relegation from the Premier League we have slowly but surely got worse, wasting the parachute money as we went.

I'd love a rethink. I think it is vital otherwise in the words of another poster on this thread we will 'bottom out' and who knows when or where that will be.

This board show they do not know the fundamentals of running a football club competently, never mind successfully. Tan struck it lucky with Warnock and he still says he was conned. Where would Cardiff City under Vincent Tan be without promotion to the Premier League and the parachute payments. Vincent Tan has a whole lot to thank Warnock for. He has a very short memory.

I fear the worst I really do. I think we are in free fall with a board who do not have the first clue how to arrest the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I've done this to death with Sludge, but the only chance of us getting crowds like that in League 1 would be if we were heading for relegation. In fact, often sides who are successful in League 1 get better crowds than when they were struggling in the Championship. Bar a few examples, the majority of Championship sides only get big crowds when they're challenging for promotion.

Those are generalisations and there are always exceptions.

Take City.

In 1971 we narrowly missed out on promotion to the First Division and had an average crowd of over 21k. We then spent 3 seasons narrowly avoiding relegation, only to go down in 1975. Crowds halved between 1971 and 1973 as we battled at the foot of the table. In Division 3 in 1976 our average attendance went up by over 2.5k as we won promotion.

We then spent another 6 seasons struggling in the second tier, watching our crowds drop by another half to 5.5k as we were relegated again in 1982. In 1983 our crowd in the Third Division rose again as we won promotion again.

Things were different when we went back down again in 1985. We were relegated again from the third tier in 1986 and our crowd fell again.

It's also interesting to see what happens in reverse, after promotion from the third tier.

First season back in the second tier sees a small crowd increase, followed by a drop in attendances for the next two seasons as the club remains lower mid-table.

Fans enjoy success. They'd sooner cheer on a promotion attempt in League 1 than a relegation battle in the Championship. We're not alone in this by any means. Some call that fickle, but it is what it is.

Course they won’t….we pulled in 17000 v the mighty Wycombe in league 1 2002 I think it was….there’s a lot of big clubs in league 1 right now and some league 1 clubs in the PL…