+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What a load of Cobblers

What a load of Cobblers

anyone else remember this game ? i like the question the greatest ever cobblers goal !

Re: What a load of Cobblers

Great goal.

Didn’t Marco Gabbiadini score a very good goal at Ninian Park, was that Northampton, I want to say it was.

I remember being there to see us lose but that's about it. Don't remember that goal.

Wasn't there a wrestling referee before the game started? In the blue corner.......
    I don't know if there was a WWF thing on in Cardiff?

Same.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Great goal.

Didn’t Marco Gabbiadini score a very good goal at Ninian Park, was that Northampton, I want to say it was.
    That was the goal I assumed it would be before I finished reading the rest of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I remember being there to see us lose but that's about it. Don't remember that goal.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    That was the goal I assumed it would be before I finished reading the rest of the post.
    I remember the Marco Gabbiadini goal at Ninian Park but am sure that was early season August/September but what a goal that was …..but it wasn’t a play off goal !!!
    however I am sure Simon “Bambi” Howarth had a stormer in play offs which clinched his transfer to Coventry?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I remember the Marco Gabbiadini goal at Ninian Park but am sure that was early season August/September but what a goal that was …..but it wasn’t a play off goal !!!
    however I am sure Simon “Bambi” Howarth had a stormer in play offs which clinched his transfer to Coventry?
    Gabbiadini’s goal was in our promotion season in 02/03 in August I think it was - that Play Off game was during a season when we played Northampton six times and, from memory, didn’t win one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Gabbiadini’s goal was in our promotion season in 02/03 in August I think it was - that Play Off game was during a season when we played Northampton six times and, from memory, didn’t win one of them.
    Just checked, I was wrong, we beat them in one of the six matches. We won 1-0 in the first leg of a First round League Cup tie at Ninian Park, but lost 2-0 at Sixfields in the second leg, the league matches finished 2-2 here and we lost 4-0 away, while the Play off matches went against us by 1-0 here and 3-2 away.

It seems familiarity bred a fair deal of contempt between the teams (or one member of each team at least) - Northampton's Mark Cooper was sent off in the second leg of the League Cup tie, Jeff Eckhardt saw red in the away league game, Cooper walked again in the Play Off game at Ninian Park, as did Eckhardt in the return game!

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Wasn't there a wrestling referee before the game started? In the blue corner.......
    I don't know if there was a WWF thing on in Cardiff?
    I remember something in 1994, I was pretty young and an older kid who lived by my nan was raving mad about it.

I remember the Gabbiadini goal vividly, Ninian stunned into silence with a smattering of applause. Surprised it never shows up on Twitter given how far out he hit it from and how hard it was struck.

Didn't think it was as late 02/03 though unless I just happened to be in Cardiff for a weekend, I'd have placed it more around 99/00 but considering he didn't start playing for Northampton until 2000/01 I guess I'm wrong there.

EDIT - Wikipedia says it was the 2000-01 season

The Gabbiadini goal is at 4.30 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI5_BohU15k

I rated it as the best long range goal I'd ever seen with my own eyes until Whittingham vs Barnsley.

It's August 2002.

looking at those highlights what a daisy cutter from Andy Legg at 4.04