Thread: FT: SHEFFIELD UTD 4 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

FT: SHEFFIELD UTD 4 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Saturday April 15th, ko 12:30pm
    Live on Sky Sports

Match Officials:

Referee: DAVID WEBB
    Assistants: Jonathan Hunt and Adam Crysell
    Fourth Official : Benjamin Speedie

Can the Championship throw up something unexpected in our favour?

Other matches of relevance

3pm: Blackpool v Wigan
    3pm: QPR v Coventry
    3pm: Reading v Burnley
    3pm: Rotherham v Luton
    3pm: Swansea v Huddersfield

Table:

Rotherham P40 - 45pts
    Huddersfield P41 - 43
    QPR P41 - 43
    Cardiff P40 - 42
    --------------------------
    Reading P41 - 41
    Blackpool P41 - 35
    Wigan P41 - 34

Re: SHEFFIELD UTD v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Hope I am wrong but with Sheffield United's physical style I can't see anything but a comprehensive defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Hope I am wrong but with Sheffield United's physical style I can't see anything but a comprehensive defeat.
    Wouldn't it be funny if we beat them and Luton Town overtook them into Automatic Promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny if we beat them and Luton Town overtook them into Automatic Promotion.
    It would. They're just the type of team we struggle badly against though. Especially up there.

Grim. I've just had a look.

Although we did alright against them earlier in the season.

When was the last time we beat a team we had no right beating really? This has all the hallmarks of a trampy 1-0 win for us.

Realistically 3-0 Blades and Reading somehow get a result against Burnley. That sounds more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    When was the last time we beat a team we had no right beating really? This has all the hallmarks of a trampy 1-0 win for us.

Realistically 3-0 Blades and Reading somehow get a result against Burnley. That sounds more like it.
    Probably the Boro away match in September. Although I'm not sure if at that point it was clear they would have a good season and us quite so abysmal.

3,4 - 0 defeat incoming.

That’s my prediction too, sadly.

My first away match of the season. I've never been to Bramhall Lane before. I'm not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    3,4 - 0 defeat incoming.
    Time to punch back off the ropes

Or get knocked out. One of em.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    My first away match of the season. I've never been to Bramhall Lane before. I'm not looking forward to it.
    Last time I went....April 1971...weeknight game....full of hope....promotion clash. In typical City fashion we bottled it and lost 5-1. They went on from that to promotion...
    Table ended up: After 42 matches, the final outcome was; Leicester 59 pts, Sheff Utd 56pts, Cardiff 53pts. 2 points for a win in those days.

I think we will lose, but so will Reading and QPR. It's not over yet.

5-0 battering

Interesting that some think we're due a hammering, yet we've only lost by 3 or more once in the league all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Interesting that some think we're due a hammering, yet we've only lost by 3 or more once in the league all season.
    Maybe that’s why some people think the side with the third-worst record in the division is due a hammering - because they haven’t had one since October.

The team’s defensive record has been its saving grace for much of the season, but there have been plenty of games where that has seemed more by luck than judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Maybe that’s why some people think the side with the third-worst record in the division is due a hammering - because they haven’t had one since October.

The team’s defensive record has been its saving grace for much of the season, but there have been plenty of games where that has seemed more by luck than judgment.
    We haven't handed out a hammering for a while. Are we due to do that soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Saturday April 15th, ko 12:30pm
    Live on Sky Sports

Match Officials:

TBC
    David Webb will be the referee

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Last time I went....April 1971...weeknight game....full of hope....promotion clash. In typical City fashion we bottled it and lost 5-1. They went on from that to promotion...
    Table ended up: After 42 matches, the final outcome was; Leicester 59 pts, Sheff Utd 56pts, Cardiff 53pts. 2 points for a win in those days.

Remember it well. Went up on the train from Cardiff, a special I believe. It was like a morgue on the way back. Sheff Utd had six shots and scored with five of them.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Remember it well. Went up on the train from Cardiff, a special I believe. It was like a morgue on the way back. Sheff Utd had six shots and scored with five of them.

StT.
    <><
    I am 37 and I have vague memories of childhood, things stick out like where we went on holiday and where we lived etc.

How on earth do you remember something that happened in 1971 "well" ?

I am not having a pop I am genuinely intrigued. It was 52 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I am 37 and I have vague memories of childhood, things stick out like where we went on holiday and where we lived etc.

How on earth do you remember something that happened in 1971 "well" ?

I am not having a pop I am genuinely intrigued. It was 52 years ago.
    You can remember certain games from the past well, there was a lot less football then too. For example I remember an almighty goalmouth scramble as clear as day in the last few minutes of last game of the season against Carlisle in 1977 as we desperately clung on to the 1-1 draw and avoid relegation yet struggle to remember who won the FA Cup last season!

SuperBluebirds91

This game I feel is a loss before we’ve even started it. a point or three and I’ll be celebrating like we’ve just made it through to a cup final!

SuperBluebirds91

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It would. They're just the type of team we struggle badly against though. Especially up there.
    Would be hilarious. I have nothing against Luton and would liketo see them go up over united. Can’t see it happening though but can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    David Webb will be the referee
    Cheers.

Looking ahead we have Jarred Gillett next Wednesday v Watford. He is a current Premier League referee and was in charge of the Leeds H FA Cup tie.

Anyone know how many tickets have been sold/what our pubs are if we've been allocated any? (Not that there will be much time to spend in them)