+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FT: SHEFFIELD UTD 4 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: SHEFFIELD UTD v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    You can remember certain games from the past well, there was a lot less football then too. For example I remember an almighty goalmouth scramble as clear as day in the last few minutes of last game of the season against Carlisle in 1977 as we desperately clung on to the 1-1 draw and avoid relegation yet struggle to remember who won the FA Cup last season!
    It just kind of doesn't make sense in my head to be able to do that, that's all.

Is this likely to be on TV in any of the pubs in town does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It just kind of doesn't make sense in my head to be able to do that, that's all.
    It's all about long-term and short-term memory.

If you asked me what I had for breakfast yesterday, I probably couldn't tell you (short-term memory).

However, I can remember being on a supporters bus back in the 70s approaching Chelsea's Stamford Bridge. I was sitting in a window seat and a Chelsea fan hurled a car hub cap at the window in front. Luckily, it didn't break the window, but I can remember the contorted look on the Chelsea fan's ugly mug just as vividly to this day.

Okay, this a somewhat random, perhaps meaningless anecdote, but it shows how we can remember things that may seem irrelevant to others.

In many ways this is a free hit.

Just go out, give your all, and absolutely anything from it will be more than welcome. If somebody could nut that tosser McBurnie and not get banned all the better.

I am 37 and I have vague memories of childhood, things stick out like where we went on holiday and where we lived etc.

How on earth do you remember something that happened in 1971 "well" ?

I am not having a pop I am genuinely intrigued. It was 52 years ago.
    My Dad went and I remember not being able to understand how something so catastrophic could happen to a team going for promotion, when I found out.

But this is Cardiff City and hence people remember it well.

Because you are only 37 - you have already answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    My Dad went and I remember not being able to understand how something so catastrophic could happen to a team going for promotion, when I found out.

But this is Cardiff City and hence people remember it well.
    Mate wanted to go - would have meant mitching off pm, but couldn't pull it off with my folks. I can still remember at the end of the local BBC Wales news after the 9 o'clock news announcing the result. I can still remember it like yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Mate wanted to go - would have meant mitching off pm, but couldn't pull it off with my folks. I can still remember at the end of the local BBC Wales news after the 9 o'clock news announcing the result. I can still remember it like yesterday.
    Quite.

Traumatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's all about long-term and short-term memory.

If you asked me what I had for breakfast yesterday, I probably couldn't tell you (short-term memory).

However, I can remember being on a supporters bus back in the 70s approaching Chelsea's Stamford Bridge. I was sitting in a window seat and a Chelsea fan hurled a car hub cap at the window in front. Luckily, it didn't break the window, but I can remember the contorted look on the Chelsea fan's ugly mug just as vividly to this day.

Okay, this a somewhat random, perhaps meaningless anecdote, but it shows how we can remember things that may seem irrelevant to others.
    Yeah, we all get that I suppose.

Just seems like some people have photographic memories of decades ago, see posters on here mention multiple games from decades ago and they can remember where they stood in NP and passages of play etc. I can vaguely see chopras shot hitting the net against the jack's and the loud CHOPRAAAAAAAAAA on the TV but I've got no clue what happened the rest of the game or who I was with

Because you are only 37 - you have already answered your own question.
    You're still trying are you.

If I can't remember 20 years ago how are others having cinematic like memories from 50 years ago..

Quite.

Traumatic.
    I remember phoning a results service from a phone box in Llandaff North like it was yesterday. Like you said still suffer PTSD from that match.

Ps can anyone remember the results line that I would have rung. It was something like teletext but on the phone.

If I can't remember 20 years ago how are others having cinematic like memories from 50 years ago..
    I remember fellow pupils from school, can put names to faces on old school photos, no bother, this is from the 60s. Yet lads I’ve worked with over the years, even recent years, have stopped me and spoken to me, reminded me where they’ve encountered me and I’ve left their company none the wiser. Memories of your childhood & youth seem much more vivid than they do as you age.

Last time there. Leo FW in the away end. We got battered for 80 mins and then a combination of the best thing that the Madine Fight Club did with us and Pilks delivered!

No idea but clearly loads of people can, just from this thread alone.

Maybe you should get medical help.

No idea but clearly loads of people can, just from this thread alone.

Maybe you should get medical help.
    You are derailing the thread.

You are also, obviously, trying to goad me into some sort of reaction.

You probably have kids my age. Act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I remember phoning a results service from a phone box in Llandaff North like it was yesterday. Like you said still suffer PTSD from that match.

Ps can anyone remember the results line that I would have rung. It was something like teletext but on the phone.
    It was a local number to ninian Park I think . I know that I was with a group around the phone box near the Leather Bottle, Pentrebane frantically putting money in to keep updated.
    Gutted at the result as I thought we were going up and that's why still remember I spose .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I was eight and still remember my dad coming up to my bedroom to tell me the score. That sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, probably the first time I'd experienced it, followed by the tears!

Should have quit there and then, would have saved a lot of heartache, but the occasional good times make it all worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    It was a local number to ninian Park I think . I know that I was with a group around the phone box near the Leather Bottle, Pentrebane frantically putting money in to keep updated.
    Gutted at the result as I thought we were going up and that's why still remember I spose .
    We used to phone the Echo desk for results

You are derailing the thread.

You are also, obviously, trying to goad me into some sort of reaction.

You probably have kids my age. Act like it.
    You accusing someone ELSE of derailing a thread?!

Now that IS funny

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We used to phone the Echo desk for results
    Yes! That just seems SO strange now, doesn’t it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    I was eight and still remember my dad coming up to my bedroom to tell me the score. That sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, probably the first time I'd experienced it, followed by the tears!

Should have quit there and then, would have saved a lot of heartache, but the occasional good times make it all worthwhile
    OMG. There are loads of us - how depressing.

We should start a self help group. Oh, we already have!

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post

I remember phoning clubcall from a phone booth in Ireland on the day of my wedding - that was 1991. It cost a fortune only to hear that we had lost 2-1 at home to Hereford. Put a real dampener on the day

Sorry, WAY off topic.

You accusing someone ELSE of derailing a thread?!

Now that IS funny

Look at your recent interactions with me and you tell me what you are trying to achieve

There's a matchday thread going on, remember what you said in this thread

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ions&p=5410241

"Blimey. Just relax!

Not everyone want to trawl through long match threads especially when they often get derailed by petty squabbling."

When there was no squabbling going on and someone was trying to make something out of nothing.

The grown up thing for you to do here would be to disengage with me and leave it go and let the thread carry on

You've tried, and failed, again, so leave it.

I'm with you on this. I'm almost 62 and can remember very little detail from my childhood or twenties but my older brother talks about all sorts, including football matches we went to. I just look blank and say "if you say so".

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I'm with you on this. I'm almost 62 and can remember very little detail from my childhood or twenties but my older brother talks about all sorts, including football matches we went to. I just look blank and say "if you say so".
    I can remember going away to Wrexham..not whoninwas with or what the score was just that I went don't remember anything about the play off game with QPR apart from the goal at the end, and that's only because it gets played every so often. I don't know where I was sat, it may have been behind the goal, noise was unreal I remember that much but as for any details..zilch.