+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Euro 2028 - wales auto qualify?

Euro 2028 - wales auto qualify?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65245224

Millennium Stadium chosen as a venue

Re: Euro 2028 - wales auto qualify?

Apparently not. Only two of the hosts will from what I've heard. Not sure how they will determine that

England and Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Apparently not. Only two of the hosts will from what I've heard. Not sure how they will determine that
    they should let everyone go in qualifying, and the two highest ranked who don't qualify automatically should get the host spots

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    they should let everyone go in qualifying, and the two highest ranked who don't qualify automatically should get the host spots
    Yeah not a bad idea.

Quite like the idea of 'home internationas' championship in 2026 or something

Just do regular qualifiers imo with no one getting in automatically. One venue shouldn’t be enough to be considered a host nation and England are guaranteed to get in anyways.

There’s a good chance at least 3 of the 5 will qualify through the normal route.

Should be all of them or none of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Should be all of them or none of them.
    Financially, for UEFA , it would make sense for Wales to automatically qualify, perhaps they will amend the criteria now that the venues are known.

There's no way 5 teams should be automatically qualifying.

Maybe after the events on the day of the 2020 final at Wembley, England feel they have more chance of being part of a joint bid, rather than hosting themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    There's no way 5 teams should be automatically qualifying.
    I'm not convinced 5 countries should be hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I'm not convinced 5 countries should be hosting?
    I tend to agree with you on this , therefore 5 host countries should automatically qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I tend to agree with you on this , therefore 5 host countries should automatically qualify.
    Do you think all 11 host nations of Euro 2020 should’ve automatically qualified then? Where is the cut off?

5 countries automatically qualifying in my opinion is as ridiculous as 5 countries hosting, but they don’t have to be mutual.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Do you think all 11 host nations of Euro 2020 should’ve automatically qualified then? Where is the cut off?

5 countries automatically qualifying in my opinion is as ridiculous as 5 countries hosting, but they don’t have to be mutual.
    I suppose there has to be a cut off and you’re right ,11 is ridiculous, but 5 seems feasible especially as Wales are one of the hosts. In 2020 nobody automatically qualified, but if they are allowing it this time it should be fair for all host nations to receive an automatic place in the competition.

2 spots make the most sense - give them to the 2 lowest ranked teams

Say the 5 hosting nations do qualify, what does that mean for the qualifiers? What knock on affect would that have, especially with Nations League positions being taken into consideration?

Can't imagine the other FAs around Europe would be too happy about it and I don't see the selection panel going for it.

England practically hosted Euro'20(21) and they will be pretty much hosting this one with both Semis and Final being played in Wembley (again). Feels a bit too soon, plus with the all the issues they had hosting the final last time, UEFA would prob prefer to go somewhere hot and sunny for their hols.

Just on the bid, why only one ground from the other nations? Parkhead, Ibrox, CCS for example could easily host games, why so many in England?

Turkey are the other bidders and it might be one where UEFA want to go to a territory they have never been before, plus might be a nice boost for the country after the earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    Say the 5 hosting nations do qualify, what does that mean for the qualifiers? What knock on affect would that have, especially with Nations League positions being taken into consideration?

Can't imagine the other FAs around Europe would be too happy about it and I don't see the selection panel going for it.

England practically hosted Euro'20(21) and they will be pretty much hosting this one with both Semis and Final being played in Wembley (again). Feels a bit too soon, plus with the all the issues they had hosting the final last time, UEFA would prob prefer to go somewhere hot and sunny for their hols.

Just on the bid, why only one ground from the other nations? Parkhead, Ibrox, CCS for example could easily host games, why so many in England?

Turkey are the other bidders and it might be one where UEFA want to go to a territory they have never been before, plus might be a nice boost for the country after the earthquake.
    I guess they have to take into account the availability of infrastructure in those cities to accommodate what in Cardiff's case would be an additional 35,000 people. Cardiff didn't have the provisions for the Champions League final, certainly in hotels so giving us two venues would be silly. Couldn't comment on other one venue nations but I am presuming it would be similar reasoning.

Even if Wales is one of the host nations, we'll probably end up playing our group matches in Azerbaijan again.

Bidding process pre-condition, maximum of 2 hosts pre qualify

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2021/10/eu..._for_euro_2028

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Bidding process pre-condition, maximum of 2 hosts pre qualify

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2021/10/eu..._for_euro_2028
    Should wait to see who doesn’t qualify, and then have a home nations tournament to fill those slots if more than 2 don’t qualify automatically.

U think two nations should qualify based on the highest capacity of their stadia (apart from Wembley as their stewarding is flawed)