+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How BGT ruined my weekend!

How BGT ruined my weekend!

So, the 'Ghetto kids' dance group from Uganda was on BGT on the weekend with much praise and emotion from the judges, audiences and media.

On the face of it - a nice story. However, as I am sitting in Kampala at the moment, it has been a disaster.

My whatsapp and email blew up...

On checking some of the most recent licensing lists of institutions, Ghetto Kids does not appear to have a valid 'Approved Home' license, issued by the Ministry of Gender. How did they manage to get travel permits?

While chatting to my Ugandan friends about this they thought I was a little 'mean' when I said it wasn't suitable for children from an orphanage to be performing like this - "why should you deny them the opportunity?". My point was that there is nothing wrong with dance groups and in fact many are denied the opportunity to travel because they are not part of an 'orphanage'. If these children were with their families and in communities they can still of course participate in dance groups - that are available for everyone in a community. Additionally, these children DO have families (approx 85% of children in orphanages have at least one living parent - ALL will have extended families and clan members whom could look after them). We know from years of research that children develop and are happier in families rather than in institutions (children lose 1 month for every 3 months development while in institutional care). Additionally, levels of abuse, neglect, loss of identity etc - are significantly increased in institutions. Evidence shows children who have been subjected to institutional care have awful life outcomes - suicide rates are higher, STD's are more common and they are more likely to be in conflict with the law.

https://www.hopeandhomes.org/why-it-...harm-children/
    https://www.hopeandhomes.org/why-it-...in-orphanages/
    https://www.hopeandhomes.org/why-it-matters/

And there are examples of MUCH better ways of caring for children who can't live with their parent(s).. in communities and in families... anyone need any further info drop me a line.. I work for an organisation who have helped developed child protection systems and reform care systems that eradicate institutional care (Romania, Moldova, Rwanda are three recent examples).

There is also a major safeguarding issue with 'Ghetto Kids' - (also- it's not in a 'ghetto') - 30 children, boys and girls, sleeping in the same small room.

The appearance on BGT will sadly see donations increase significantly to Ghetto Kids and other orphanages which again will result in more children being placed into institutions - which are unregulated, ill equipped and money will flow, not to the children, but to owners and directors of orphanages.

ITV really fecked this up... no due diligence as the slightest bit of due diligence would have raised some huge alarm bells.

On a positive note, at least it redirected my attention away from our relegation battle for a while. :)

Re: How BGT ruined my weekend!

BTW... the founder took donors money but put the property in his own name:

https://blizz.co.ug/1278/Does-the-ho...king-the-truth

International

That Brummie singer was quite good!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That Brummie singer was quite good!
    Looking at the thread title quickly I was concerned that I may have upset someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Looking at the thread title quickly I was concerned that I may have upset someone.
    😂😂

Thought this was all was about a new beefburger launch

I’m still trying to work out what they used instead of lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Big Green Tomatoes

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Gerkin would be my guess, its green in colour to keep the purists happy