+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tudor Street

Re: Tudor Street

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    We have an awful council as far as planning and transport is concerned.

I don't mind the 20 mph limit in certain areas, but some of the decisions on roads and housing are just awful

I actually laugh every time I am on pen-y-lan road, the new lights and traffic system was designed by an imbecile. Remember when Homer Simpson designed a car? Literally that's Cardiff city planning department.
    It's looks like private car ownership will soon be obsolete for the middle classes and below.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...entre-26714766

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Theres nowhere for it now due to the cycle lane.
    cowbridge road has like 3 at least public car parks within walking distance, other non-town shopping/restaurant heavy streets like city road, Albany road, Whitchurch road have got **** all, it can't be impossible to provide some parking provision near these places

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I lived in Double Bay for a few months back around 98.
    It seemed to take ages to get to town then on the bus.

Bus used to take under 1/2 hour to be fair, , ferry to Circular quay was a nice option ( but didnt run often enough imho ) but was a nice 20 min trip

Lovely place though

I remember reading when they started building the BBC headquarters outside the railway station, that it would lead to a price hike in Riverside. It will happen - might take a while, but little things like this (driving out the cheapo shops) will only help it along. Those big houses on the river would be snatched up, if the area was just a little 'nicer'.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Bus used to take under 1/2 hour to be fair, , ferry to Circular quay was a nice option ( but didnt run often enough imho ) but was a nice 20 min trip

Lovely place though
    It was nice.
    The house that I shared with Irish back packers...not so much

Great time though.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    it certainly is a great location for the " white middle class " ( as Tuerto named them ) a short walk into town for work ( do people still work in the center in offices ? ? ) and entertainment, any other big city it would be prime land, its done well to survive this long

I remember living in Sydney and you could walk from double bay ( where I lived and it was lovely ) to Sydneys financial / office center in under 1 hour, cycle it in 20 mins, yet between them 2 locations were Kings Cross and Darlinghurst ( both very low cost housing area's ) but the creeping had started and street by street the area appeared to be moving the right way ( often wonder what its like now )
    Darlinghurst is swanky now I hear, I used to live there….was a rough walk everyday through King’s Cross down William street to work and back. Saw some sights like I’ve never seen, hookers, trannys, hooker trannys, rent boys, smack heads, street kids and loose units 24 hrs a day…..they cleaned up the cross too too didn’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I'm convinced that nobody who designs roads has every driven a car in their life.
    Duckford's a cyclist. All down to him

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...prove-26699645

Looks like more brilliant work by Cardiff Council.
    The Council plans lacked any thought. There is nowhere to park - so why would anybody go visit the place. The people who live are at the lower end of the economic scale and Im guessing without much disposal income so. So well done the council - they cleaned the place up a bit (over budget and behind schedule I'd think) and at the same time killed off just about any visiting trade.

Anyone who has been there after dark - it's not very pleasant - unless you want to see drunks and smackheads off their heads, I can do that in Canton... A bad job, badly done with consequences that your typical council worker couldn't careless about.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Darlinghurst is swanky now I hear, I used to live there….was a rough walk everyday through King’s Cross down William street to work and back. Saw some sights like I’ve never seen, hookers, trannys, hooker trannys, rent boys, smack heads, street kids and loose units 24 hrs a day…..they cleaned up the cross too too didn’t they?
    Bits of Darlinghurst losing the roughness back in 93, not just a few houses, but one 1/2 of the end of a road, it was fascinating to see

yep, agree with Kings X, a sight to be seen all the time, 24 hours a day, think we have spoken before about and you said when you went back ( I think ) Kings X had cleaned up, they must have made improvements for Sydney 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    It was nice.
    The house that I shared with Irish back packers...not so much

Great time though.
    I loved Double bay, have a coffee and a danish for breakfast in a bistro, then hit the beer in the same place didnt need to leave the place till it closed

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Riverside, Riverdale, Lower Pontcanna.
    Call it what you like.

The middle classes will own the properties but they won't live in them.

The buildings change, the places don't.
    Apparently, pontcanna wasn’t always like it is now, it used to be a bit run down. Always recall my old man and uncle telling me, I guess it must have been a long time ago…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Apparently, pontcanna wasn’t always like it is now, it used to be a bit run down. Always recall my old man and uncle telling me, I guess it must have been a long time ago…..
    I think we need to define the word rundown, as pontcanna has always been 'posh' in my eyes. My grand mother used to live on Cathedral road - back in the early 70's and I remember it being 'posh' then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    I think we need to define the word rundown, as pontcanna has always been 'posh' in my eyes. My grand mother used to live on Cathedral road - back in the early 70's and I remember it being 'posh' then as well.
    Cathedral road had plenty of run down properties on it even up until the late eighties,smashed windows, a few squats and sectioned off into shitty bedsits. There's a cardiff landlord who took advantage of the grants scheme during that period ( A bit too much) who did very well down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Plenty of time in Riverdale, it's happening, slowly but surely, it won't happen overnight but the middle classes are slowly buying up properly down there. Give it 20 years or so. Prime area for it.
    Nah! More likely to get snapped up, converted into HMO's and jammed with students. HMO Licence fees straight into Council coffers.

Plenty of time in Riverdale, it's happening, slowly but surely, it won't happen overnight but the middle classes are slowly buying up properly down there. Give it 20 years or so. Prime area for it.
    in larger cities you'd certainly think so with riversides location, but Cardiff and South Wales in general seems strangely resistant to gentrification, I can't think of too many areas that have changed that significantly in my lifetime.
    ok the bay and st Mellons perhaps (whatever the opposite of gentrification is) but those were the result of significant external factors.
    even towns like Caerphilly or pontypridd that you might think would be ripe for gentrification over the years, but it just doesn't seem to really happen
    Riverside also has quite a lot of low quality, small housing which probably doesn't help it, and the local schools aren't great which will keep many people away.

Cathedral road had plenty of run down properties on it even up until the late eighties,smashed windows, a few squats and sectioned off into shitty bedsits. There's a cardiff landlord who took advantage of the grants scheme during that period ( A bit too much) who did very well down there.
    I think it was more like the 1940’s,50’s etc….my uncle was a builder and had about 30 houses in pontcanna, unfortunately he sold them off for pennies in the 70’s/80’s they’d prob be worth 20 million today.