+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Rebrand Brecon Beacons No More

Re: Another Rebrand Brecon Beacons No More

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Lol come on now. It will be a beyond negligible amount considering 75% of that CO2 existed 20 years ago. How many climate change events are there annually? How many private planes go to these events?

In 2021 Heathrow Airport had 195,000 planes arrive or depart. Over 500 flights a day. I'd wager there's more CO2 produced in one day at Heathrow than from a year's worth of private jets attending climate change events.

Heathrow isn't even close to being one of the busiest airports in the world. That award goes to Atlanta with, on average, 2,700 arrivals and departures daily.
    It’s irrelevant how many plebs travel , private jets are not listed , and it’s hypocritical that’s all especially when they are empty on many routes.

What do you think electric cars run off , have a guess

I've got nothing against them changing the name to Welsh, if they want to - though people will carry on calling them the Brecon Beacons. But to suggest it's down to the design of a symbol is just ludicrous. It's not as though anyone is up there burning fiery beacons all year round - that just doesn't happen. They're called the Beacons, so you have a beacon as a symbol. It doesn't add anything to CO2 emissions or anything else, and to suggest it does is plain daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that is simply not true, the us geological survey estimate the totality of all land and submarine volcanoes emit between 0.13-0.44 gigatons of co2 annually, whereas heavy industry alone released 36.3 gigatons
    Nobody is an expert on this (and you have just copied a Twitter post ) but ultimately the renaming of the Brecon Beacons has nothing to do with climate change which is what the article suggested

This guy probably does know a bit though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHpS4OF4Wo

It's not a rebrand. It's just using the Welsh title for the Beacons instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s irrelevant how many plebs travel , private jets are not listed , and it’s hypocritical that’s all especially when they are empty on many routes.

What do you think electric cars run off , have a guess
    So what's your point? Climate change doesn't exist? Or we should ignore the rise in CO2, which as you've helpfully pointed out is up 33% in just 20 years, because Scientists, Politicians and Celebrities are flying to climate change meetings and events?
    If they flew commercially would that change your perspective? What about if they took the train? Or a bike?

Using private jets to attend climate change events is hypocritical. It also, statistically speaking, has zero affect on global CO2 emissions.

Air travel counts for roughly 2-3% of CO2 emissions annually. There's roughly 35-40 million commercial flights annually, excluding private, cargo and military flights.

With your best estimate, how many private jets fly to and from climate change events in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Another key area decision for gesture Welsh politics.

That should help the cost of living impact .
    As if by magic, we have a right wing objector.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    So what's your point? Climate change doesn't exist? Or we should ignore the rise in CO2, which as you've helpfully pointed out is up 33% in just 20 years, because Scientists, Politicians and Celebrities are flying to climate change meetings and events?
    If they flew commercially would that change your perspective? What about if they took the train? Or a bike?

Using private jets to attend climate change events is hypocritical. It also, statistically speaking, has zero affect on global CO2 emissions.

Air travel counts for roughly 2-3% of CO2 emissions annually. There's roughly 35-40 million commercial flights annually, excluding private, cargo and military flights.

With your best estimate, how many private jets fly to and from climate change events in a year?

I don’t know the numbers but you’re missing the point. The people advocating all these changes carry on as normal. I’m sure many of these events are not really necessary and even if they were it could be undertaken remotely.

This is what you get with Wales-Bales/Ronnie clones I am afraid.

TWGL1: Apparently the earth’s atmosphere is 0.04% CO2 up from 0.03% 20 years ago

Others: That's shitloads

TWGLI: That's a tiny amount, there's more CO2 from a single volcano eruption than produced by mankind in a decade.

Others: That's bullshit and here are the facts to prove it.

TWGLI: Yeah but what about Greta and scientists and politicians and celebrities in private planes, they're most responsible.

Others: That's miniscule compared with commercial flights.

TWGLI: Yeah, but what about electric cars....and nobody's an expert anyway and you got all your shit off twitter...so there....and anyway here is some random Youtube video!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    This is what you get with Wales-Bales/Ronnie clones I am afraid.

TWGL1: Apparently the earth’s atmosphere is 0.04% CO2 up from 0.03% 20 years ago

Others: That's shitloads

TWGLI: That's a tiny amount, there's more CO2 from a single volcano eruption than produced by mankind in a decade.

Others: That's bullshit and here are the facts to prove it.

TWGLI: Yeah but what about Greta and scientists and politicians and celebrities in private planes, they're most responsible.

Others: That's miniscule compared with commercial flights.

TWGLI: Yeah, but what about electric cars....and nobody's an expert anyway and you got all your shit off twitter...so there....and anyway here is some random Youtube video!
    I was wondering when you would pop up, just like clockwork rent free again is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I was wondering when you would pop up, just like clockwork rent free again is it ?
    I must admit I had some fun typing up your stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I must admit I had some fun typing up your stupidity!
    Ha ha good one love it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's not a rebrand. It's just using the Welsh title for the Beacons instead.
    if anything Brecon beacons was the rebrand

Pretty sure language evolves naturally and is not subject to the diktats of some here today gone tomorrow unelected quango boss. The name Brecon Beacons has evolved its own cultural relevance and should be respected as such and not summarily dismissed as “a bit of nonsense”. Call them what you like in Welsh or English, to me these wonderful mountains will always be the Brecon Beacons.

It didn't take long for the world to get used to other places reverting back to original names, so no reason why the same can happen with Bannau Brycheiniog.
    Chicken Kyiv for tea anyone, followed by a trip to Leningrad, Bombay, Peking and Ayres Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It didn't take long for the world to get used to other places reverting back to original names, so no reason why the same can happen with Bannau Brycheiniog.
    Chicken Kyiv for tea anyone, followed by a trip to Leningrad, Bombay, Peking and Ayres Rock?
    The Spanish refer to Munich as Monaco, the French call Antwerp Anvers and Aachen Aix-la-Chapelle and German speakers refer to Vipiteno in Italy as Sterzing. Confusing innit?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Spanish refer to Munich as Monaco, the French call Antwerp Anvers and Aachen Aix-la-Chapelle and German speakers refer to Vipiteno in Italy as Sterzing. Confusing innit?
    would they call Mynachdy that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    would they call Mynachdy that as well?
    I've always found most Spaniards to be pretty relaxed about the name Mynachdy. What rages them is that the estate is split in two by Western Avenue, with the northern part being in Llandaff North, despite it very much not being Llandaff North.

Their rage is understandable

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I've always found most Spaniards to be pretty relaxed about the name Mynachdy. What rages them is that the estate is split in two by Western Avenue, with the northern part being in Llandaff North, despite it very much not being Llandaff North.

Their rage is understandable
    Isn't Mynachdy twinned with Madrydd?

In the age of democracy and people's view where was the public consultation on the name change for the Brecon folk whose local community benefits from cross border visits and stays, they pay their local taxes , should they have a view about this matter ? apprantly not .

its political virtue signalling at its best ,waste of taxpayers money and the committee loop who suggested the word Beacon could promote more hill fires is bonkers .

More non purpose politics keeping them in the headlines whilst nothing of substance takes hold In health ,education and infrastructure.

In the age of democracy and people's view where was the public consultation on the name change for the Brecon folk whose local community benefits from cross border visits and stays, they pay their local taxes , should they have a view about this matter ? apprantly not .

its political virtue signalling at its best ,waste of taxpayers money and the committee loop who suggested the word Beacon could promote more hill fires is bonkers .

More non purpose politics keeping them in the headlines whilst nothing of substance takes hold In health ,education and infrastructure.
    Fair play, you are absolutely bonkers.

I think the Welsh language should be used alongside it really. It doesnt strike me as a key priority - increasing access to the Brecon Beacons and preserving them is probably the main thing. This is just symbolic that if anything is designed to detract attention from other more important issues (notably parking, potential overuse of Pen y Fan etc.

Would people support Cardiff formally becoming Caerdydd, and Caerdydd only?

Agreed, why isn't the Bannau Brycheiniog National Park Authority doing more about NHS and teacher strikes, or the cost of living crisis!!1!1!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Would people support Cardiff formally becoming Caerdydd, and Caerdydd only?
    Yes, in the same was as München is only ever called München, and absolutely nothing else in any other language...

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Yes, in the same was as München is only ever called München, and absolutely nothing else in any other language...
    Yeah but would you support Cardiff formally being Caerdydd, as opposed to being used interchangably as Cardiff or Caerdydd?