+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great relegation battle - if we weren't in it

Re: Great relegation battle - if we weren't in it

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That would be silly. I’ve got no interest in it whatsoever. Indeed, I didn’t even know it existed until you mentioned it.

Here’s a question for you: if Reading have been docked points by the EFL for breaching Profitability & Sustainability rules, have the actions of the league made the football club either more profitable or sustainable?
    So you don't w=want to answer questions yet want yours answered?

Again, Reading made an agreement which they went on to breach.

What do you expect EFL to do? Ignore it? Fine them?

Reading have been docked points. Reading can still stay up. It's the most reasonable solution to the offences Reading have committed.

So what would YOU want to see happen?

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    So what would YOU want to see happen?
    Above all else, I would like to see clubs keep points they have earned.

I would like the EFL to put some proper regulations in place (such as genuine salary and transfer caps) which stop overspending in the first place rather than punish it retrospectively, sometimes years later, especially as the clubs who spend the most never seem to attract any sanctions.

If clubs in the Championship are being deducted points every season, as has happened for the last five seasons on the trot, then it’s blatantly obvious that the current set-up is broken.

I’m not a financial expert. I don’t have all the answers and don’t pretend to. All I know is these points deductions at Championship level are just bullshit and they devalue the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Above all else, I would like to see clubs keep points they have earned.

I would like the EFL to put some proper regulations in place (such as genuine salary and transfer caps) which stop overspending in the first place rather than punish it retrospectively, sometimes years later, especially as the clubs who spend the most never seem to attract any sanctions.

If clubs in the Championship are being deducted points every season, as has happened for the last five seasons on the trot, then it’s blatantly obvious that the current set-up is broken.

I’m not a financial expert. I don’t have all the answers and don’t pretend to. All I know is these points deductions at Championship level are just bullshit and they devalue the competition.
    Salary caps do work in American sports, to a degree, but can also be gamed. NFL, for example, Tom Brady regularly took below market rates for his position to enable more money to get more talent around him; he made up shortfall through sponsorship. Didn't hurt his wife was loaded.

The problem is, how would caps work here. Different leagues would have different caps - what happens when teams get promoted or relegated, adjustments would need to be made to be fair. What would stop teams reporting salary incorrectly, to break the cap? What punishment should be applied given a competitive advantage was reached?

I disagree the deductions devalue the competition. Where only fines occur, teams don't care. Bournemouth smashed FFP to get promoted to the Prem initially; different competitions, so couldn't be docked points or embargoed, so got a £7m fine when TV rights for finishing last in the Prem was £107m at the time.

In a spectacularly egregious offence, then any punishment needs to be incredibly strong. In Readings case, arguably they got off lightly the second time. They still have a chance of staying in the Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’m actually enjoying it, much more exciting than a boring mid table finish.

I do think we’ll win Thursday and be safe, if we lose I may well have a different opinion.
    I've always said I'd rather be in a relegation battle than mid table boredom.
    Love the tension.