+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here live in a flat ?

Re: Anyone here live in a flat ?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Same as ours, company manages everything, we have meetings and vote on decisions, but most of the hardcore maintenance is driven by the building inspections you get. They take care of the cleaning, insurance, inspections etc. I think all property management companies in Barcelona are registered lawyers but not all building need to have a company. I've seen horror stories of people running off with the money when people were self organized.
    Crikey

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Some elderly folks have the TV on very loud , it's not their awkwardness they just struggle with hearing
    They will be glad of that when you move in and crank up Iron Man.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    They will be glad of that when you move in and crank up Iron Man.....
    I have mellowed with regard to my volume controls to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Obviously ground rent and service charge are the first things to be considered as additional costs.

I think my biggest concern would be nuisance “neighbours” in a house you may have none, 1 or 2 but it only takes one idiot living either side of you or above you to make it hell.
    And how much they are allowed to rise year by year.

And how much they are allowed to rise year by year.
    A very good point - it was frightening when I got to see some of the rises there’d been in the previous two or three years.

Germany is much better than Spain for the rental agreement, nobody owns a home in Germany.

Too hot, and what i was amazed at, is how cold it gets in winter as well lol. We have direct sun from about 2pm till 6pm, so not so bad. Keep the windows closed so the warm air doesn't come in and shutters down for those hours to totally block it out.

We are a small building so only 17 apartments.
    Most of my German friends do. As do aroung 45% of the population, I understand.

Most of my German friends do. As do aroung 45% of the population, I understand.
    Sure I was being flippant, very very low in comparison to the top end though.

Spent some time between Mannheim and Basel for a few years whilst working, was surprised to learn of the low appetite from professional people interested in getting on the property ladder in those countries.

Sure I was being flippant, very very low in comparison to the top end though.

Spent some time between Mannheim and Basel for a few years whilst working, was surprised to learn of the low appetite from professional people interested in getting on the property ladder in those countries.
    How dare you be flippant on a message board, old fruit! Perish the thought! Heaven forfend!

By the way, a lot of German houses are more expensive than they need to be due to their having cellars.

I’ve mentioned on here before that my daughter bought a new build on the site of the former Wharf pub over the bay.
    She’s got to pay a monthly management fee on top of all her usual bills but if she wanted a parking space she would have to pay an additional £6000 a year
    That’s £115 per week
    If ever she wants the use of a car she borrows mine
    Visitors are allowed parking and there’s a One Stop shop (Tesco) opened up in the opposite block about five months ago.
    There’s lift access to all floors and she’s got a lovely wrap around balcony overlooking the water on the front
    It’s in the perfect spot about ten minutes walk away from town or the bay.
    We’ve already said if ever she wants a bigger place (hers is two bedrooms) we’ll happily do a swap 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I’ve mentioned on here before that my daughter bought a new build on the site of the former Wharf pub over the bay.
    She’s got to pay a monthly management fee on top of all her usual bills but if she wanted a parking space she would have to pay an additional £6000 a year
    That’s £115 per week
    If ever she wants the use of a car she borrows mine
    Visitors are allowed parking and there’s a One Stop shop (Tesco) opened up in the opposite block about five months ago.
    There’s lift access to all floors and she’s got a lovely wrap around balcony overlooking the water on the front
    It’s in the perfect spot about ten minutes walk away from town or the bay.
    We’ve already said if ever she wants a bigger place (hers is two bedrooms) we’ll happily do a swap 😀
    I couldn't live without a car

Fishing , going to west Wales outside of the main towns

I think if you could find a way of chilling down the bay 365 , 247 it might work

She only needs the car when she takes my little grandson to soft play or if she’s visiting friends or family.
    Online shopping gets delivered or I’ll pick her up bits and pieces when I go if she needs anything.
    There’s always fishermen all around the water outside hers - I think it’s called the old Roath dock?
    I’ve chatted to a few
    Private angling club
    There’s some really big fish in there
    Between hers and the Holiday inn there’s a shallow square of water they’re not allowed to fish
    Looking down and with the sun shining you can see them just gathering together
    Some of them spiral up and out of the water and they make a hell of a splash
    Lots I’ve been told are upwards of thirty to forty pounds but the one fish everyone wants to catch is nicknamed “Ebenezer”
    He’s weighing in at eighty pounds
    I’ve spent many an hour chilling on her balcony with a glass of red watching the world go by 🍷

She only needs the car when she takes my little grandson to soft play or if she’s visiting friends or family.
    Online shopping gets delivered or I’ll pick her up bits and pieces when I go if she needs anything.
    There’s always fishermen all around the water outside hers - I think it’s called the old Roath dock?
    I’ve chatted to a few
    Private angling club
    There’s some really big fish in there
    Between hers and the Holiday inn there’s a shallow square of water they’re not allowed to fish
    Looking down and with the sun shining you can see them just gathering together
    Some of them spiral up and out of the water and they make a hell of a splash
    Lots I’ve been told are upwards of thirty to forty pounds but the one fish everyone wants to catch is nicknamed “Ebenezer”
    He’s weighing in at eighty pounds
    I’ve spent many an hour chilling on her balcony with a glass of red watching the world go by ��
    my brother lives down by there, he says there's a Chinese guy who's always fishing there at like 4am, who takes the fish home to eat

The fishermen are out there day and night
    Some don’t go home for several days
    Rain wind freezing cold
    I think they’re all mad but they’re obviously doing something they love
    I haven’t seen a Chinese guy but they’ll eat anything
    Supposed to be catch and release fishing 🎣

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    my brother lives down by there, he says there's a Chinese guy who's always fishing there at like 4am, who takes the fish home to eat
    Do you mean the East dock where the Wharf Fishing Club operates? We have a flat down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Do you mean the East dock where the Wharf Fishing Club operates? We have a flat down there.
    That's where I think he means

It most certainly is a catch and return water

Carp , pike , bream , tench , roach , rudd etc all grow to huge sizes in there

I am surprised anyone is getting away with catching and killing fish there as it covered with cctv and the anglers themselves come from all over the UK to fish it and pay good money to do so

It’s the body of water to the side and rear of the County Hall and the Queens Gate roundabout at the end of the Bute town tunnel follows the water all along the Central Link to the prison
    I think the one fisherman told me it was 32 football pitches in area
    You’re probably right in saying the East Dock RFG

its an apartment or a condo...nobody lives in a fecking flat Ffs

It’s the body of water to the side and rear of the County Hall and the Queens Gate roundabout at the end of the Bute town tunnel follows the water all along the Central Link to the prison
    I think the one fisherman told me it was 32 football pitches in area
    You’re probably right in saying the East Dock RFG
    Yep , bute east dock

Steel rolling mill the other side

Also known as Atlantic Wharf ....the first area developed in Cardiff Bay

The lake was first stocked by glamorgan anglers club from the disused glamorgan canal up at Whitchurch

Loads of natural food in that water

That's where I think he means

It most certainly is a catch and return water

Carp , pike , bream , tench , roach , rudd etc all grow to huge sizes in there

I am surprised anyone is getting away with catching and killing fish there as it covered with cctv and the anglers themselves come from all over the UK to fish it and pay good money to do so
    They are frequently there all nights in their tents. Great bunch. They often do litter picks, etc.

Yep , bute east dock

Steel rolling mill the other side

Also known as Atlantic Wharf ....the first area developed in Cardiff Bay

The lake was first stocked by glamorgan anglers club from the disused glamorgan canal up at Whitchurch

Loads of natural food in that water
    Lots of algae too so I definitely wouldn't fancy eating anything that came out of there.

Surprisingly there’s signs saying not to swim in there as the water contains algae’s that could irritate the skin 🦠🦠

Surprisingly there’s signs saying not to swim in there as the water contains algae’s that could irritate the skin 🦠🦠
    I think you'd irritate the fishermen too 😂

I used to own a flat in Llanederyn. Used to pay £50 per year Ground Rent and £50 a month maintenance, which I thought was reasonable. The exterior of the flats were updated a few years ago and every flat owner had to pay an equal share of the cost, which they let us pay monthly over a couple of years.
    The only thing which I found a bit of a ball ache, was when I sold the place. Had to deal with three sets of solicitors. Mine, the buyer and the leaseholder. Took far longer to complete because of this, than it would with a freehold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    I used to own a flat in Llanederyn. Used to pay £50 per year Ground Rent and £50 a month maintenance, which I thought was reasonable. The exterior of the flats were updated a few years ago and every flat owner had to pay an equal share of the cost, which they let us pay monthly over a couple of years.
    The only thing which I found a bit of a ball ache, was when I sold the place. Had to deal with three sets of solicitors. Mine, the buyer and the leaseholder. Took far longer to complete because of this, than it would with a freehold.
    👍

Hi Sludge I recently bought a flat in Bridgend, near the hospital.

Been a good experience in all honestly. Everyone warned me about services charges and leases, but having a management company has been great. They make sure the building and grounds are kept tidy and presentable. enforce rules such as no pets in building, and essentially make it a pleasant place to live.

They actually dropped my service charge from £120 a month to £55 a month this year as our 'reserve fund' had grown to 350k!! and our building is in good condition as is.

------------

Have you looked at Glanogwr House ? it is flats for over 55's (assuming your age sorry) right next to Newbridge. fields. fantastic building and location. you just join a waiting list and pay very affordable rent to live there. I am certain it is not means tested, meaning you could sell and invest your current equity