+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Collection Of Songs I've Heard

Re: Best Collection Of Songs I've Heard

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think there are plenty of musicians and singers who died in a rock and roll way but could sing or play well

I thought she had a dreadful voice

Laura Nyro could sing , Sandy Denny could sing
    Have to agree with you Sludge. Yes she put her heart and soul into her singing but her voice was shrieky, lacking any depth and was akin to nails scraping on a blackboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Have to agree with you Sludge. Yes she put her heart and soul into her singing but her voice was shrieky, lacking any depth and was akin to nails scraping on a blackboard.
    It’s all subjective though isn’t it.
    Her rawness and soul was the beauty.

Bob Dylan is hardly Levi Stubbs or Scott Walker…but is rightly lauded for his own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Horrible stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Bob Dylan is hardly Levi Stubbs or Scott Walker…but is rightly lauded for his own thing.
    Dylan changed music. Before he came along people were singing about inane things.

Dylan has been lauded (and rightly so) more for his songwriting than his stage performances/vocals. But you are right, music is subjective and if JJ's voice floats your boat then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Before he came along people were singing about inane things.
    Like his hero, Woodie Guthrie?

Like his hero, Woodie Guthrie?
    There were people before Guthrie, it just wasn't the popular way of doing things. Dylan crossed over to the mainstream and influenced all the major bands like the Beatles and the Stones, etc. Here's one example .. Positively 4th Street

She sounded like she had been gargling glass

Bonnie Raitt great voice

Sandy Denny great voice

Janis Joplin absolutely tone deaf
    The claim for Janus Joplin is best female rock singer.
    Sandy Denny was a folk singer
    Bonnie Rait is a blues singer (and guitarist)

Female rock singers...Pat Benetar, Suzi Quattro, Joan Jett, Kim McAuliffe, Grace Slick, Brett Anderson etc

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The claim for Janus Joplin is best female rock singer.
    Sandy Denny was a folk singer
    Bonnie Rait is a blues singer (and guitarist)

Female rock singers...Pat Benetar, Suzi Quattro, Joan Jett, Kim McAuliffe, Grace Slick, Brett Anderson etc
    Well wether it's rock , blues , pop , punk etc I think the prerequisite should be that a singer can sing

Janis Joplin had stage presence but she didn't have any sort of range . She was off tone to be kind to her .

Ann Wilson from Heart was a great singer with powerful lungs

Brett Anderson is a good singer but he's a bloke

This Brett Anderson is a woman https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret...ican_musician)
    I like Janis Joplin, but find it hard to disagree with your assessment of singing ability. I have an album of early recordings of hers that proves your point, but I also have a greatest hits album that I really enjoy listening to.
    I agree about Ann Wilson.

Here's an early Janis Joplin recording https://youtu.be/0fyQ1k94boE
    Where's the "soul was the beauty"?

This Brett Anderson is a woman https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret...ican_musician)
    I like Janis Joplin, but find it hard to disagree with your assessment of singing ability. I have an album of early recordings of hers that proves your point, but I also have a greatest hits album that I really enjoy listening to.
    I agree about Ann Wilson.
    Gosh I like the Donna's, never even knew she shared her name with the fella out of suede

Like their version of strutter by kiss

Had a very acdc sound , good guitarist backing her up

Gosh I like the Donna's, never even knew she shared her name with the fella out of suede

Like their version of strutter by kiss

Had a very acdc sound , good guitarist backing her up
    I had a feeling you might like them. I can't remember where I came across them but I have one of their albums

Here's an early Janis Joplin recording https://youtu.be/0fyQ1k94boE
    Where's the "soul was the beauty"?
    Well that was quite Bluesy.

I had a feeling you might like them. I can't remember where I came across them but I have one of their albums
    Rock band rather than my usual dose of metal but great sound

Music Must have stopped after 1980 for some. There's some good songs in that list, no doubt, but relating all things good to a persons youth is a bit tragic in my opinion. And it probably wasn't that good either, A lack of progress and Maturity maybe, or am i being harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Music Must have stopped after 1980 for some. There's some good songs in that list, no doubt, but relating all things good to a persons youth is a bit tragic in my opinion. And it probably wasn't that good either, A lack of progress and Maturity maybe, or am i being harsh?
    a bit harsh me thinks

its like lots of older people preferred football back in the 60's /70/s etc

its just a matter of opinion really

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a bit harsh me thinks

its like lots of older people preferred football back in the 60's /70/s etc

its just a matter of opinion really
    Mozz, My Mates Daughter in Portland said the weather should be nice around the end of May.
    I wouldn’t take that as gospel though and go forgetting to take your cagoule.

I think your personal preferences are driven by a time and a place. My Dad loved vocalists like Nat King Cole and Doris Day. Whenever I played guitar based records he would chastise me that "they would get booed off in the Buffs Club".

Now whenever I hear what I think is the monotonous RnB booming out as my youngest daughter prepares to go out I occasionally bite my tongue and don't tell her what I think of her "tunes"!

Well that was quite Bluesy.
    But as Moodybluebird said "shrieky, lacking any depth and was akin to nails scraping on a blackboard"

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think your personal preferences are driven by a time and a place. My Dad loved vocalists like Nat King Cole and Doris Day. Whenever I played guitar based records he would chastise me that "they would get booed off in the Buffs Club".

Now whenever I hear what I think is the monotonous RnB booming out as my youngest daughter prepares to go out I occasionally bite my tongue and don't tell her what I think of her "tunes"!
    What your daughter plays isn't R'n'B. Rhythm and Blues us what the Stones played in the early 60s and Dr Feelgood played in the 70s
    And Nat King Cole played piano before he became more well known as a singer. In my opinion the music played then was better.

What your daughter plays isn't R'n'B. Rhythm and Blues us what the Stones played in the early 60s and Dr Feelgood played in the 70s
    And Nat King Cole played piano before he became more well known as a singer. In my opinion the music played then was better.
    The modern version of R n' B stands for Rythm and Bass. And yes it is a terrible as it sounds.

As Alan Lung said I was aware of the difference. Tbf that's the risk you get whenever you pigeon hole art, I guess!

Wasn't aware that Nat King Cole played piano but I do have a fair number of my Dad's favourites in my Spotify. Some nostalgic but others just because they are classy.

The Essential Black Sabbath

That's the best collection of songs

Ever

The Essential Black Sabbath

That's the best collection of songs

Ever
    There is no such album you utter rogue.

I know this because I have every album they have released. I searched Amazon just in case I might have been wrong but, no, surprisingly it doesn't exist.