+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gareth Bale comes out of retirement and signs for Wrexham?

Gareth Bale comes out of retirement and signs for Wrexham?

Watching this morning’s obligatory news fare I was surprised actually thinking about it not that surprised that Rob Macelhenney the Wrexham co owner has messaged (tweeted) Gareth Bale.
    He says in his tweet how about a round of golf and I promise I won’t spend four hours talking you out of retirement and signing for a magical season with us next year with four Welsh flag emojis and a love heart
    Gareth tweeted back let’s sort out a round.

I can see it happening not just for the money but the obvious third Netflix series on Wrexham and the adulation over in Hollywood

What else could tempt him out of retirement
    He’s done everything and won everything in football
    A place in Welsh and Wrexham folklore 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ❤️

Re: Gareth Bale comes out of retirement and signs for Wrexham?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Watching this morning’s obligatory news fare I was surprised actually thinking about it not that surprised that Rob Macelhenney the Wrexham co owner has messaged (tweeted) Gareth Bale.
    He says in his tweet how about a round of golf and I promise I won’t spend four hours talking you out of retirement and signing for a magical season with us next year with four Welsh flag emojis and a love heart
    Gareth tweeted back let’s sort out a round.

I can see it happening not just for the money but the obvious third Netflix series on Wrexham and the adulation over in Hollywood

What else could tempt him out of retirement
    He’s done everything and won everything in football
    A place in Welsh and Wrexham folklore 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ❤️
    Unable to play in MLS.
    Abysmal in World Cup, but hey, got his moment.

Of course he's going to play in League Two where he'll get kicked to shreds.

If Tan came out with most of the BS the North American actors did, he'd be slated.

He’s already a footballing megastar with gazillions in the bank but the lure of superstardom and possibly playing himself in a Hollywood blockbuster doing what he loves as well as franking the country of his birth firmly on the world map is to much of a temptation even for Gareth to resist?
    Surely?

I think it may happen but if he did choose that route over helping his home club out then I’d be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Unable to play in MLS.
    Abysmal in World Cup, but hey, got his moment.

Of course he's going to play in League Two where he'll get kicked to shreds.

If Tan came out with most of the BS the North American actors did, he'd be slated.
    They wouldn't get close enough to kick him if he played at that level

I posted about this in the wrexham thread last night

have that Eric the Half a Bee, I called it

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They wouldn't get close enough to kick him if he played at that level
    Given his lack of effort in the World Cup, you're wrong if you think he has pace anymore.

He's shot, which is why he went to MLS, looking for an easy ride. Barely able to last more than 30 minutes in games, if at all.

If someone could post the tweet or a link to the story that would be great because I don’t know how?

I think the difference between Tan and Ryan & Rob is that they have endeared themselves with the Wrexham fans.
    Tan certainly saved us at a time when we were looking at football obscurity and had seen us to two visits to the premier league.
    However his silence a lot of the time is deafening and he’s overstayed in my opinion his welcome as custodian of our club.
    Wrexham on the other hand are on a journey that has captivated world media and are owned by two extremely popular movie stars
    North Wales and Wrexham are enjoying a tourism boom that directly comes from the exposure the club are getting.
    Journo’s were interviewing tourists from Australia and the USA who wanted to savour for themselves the atmosphere in the town as well as drinking in the pubs close to the ground
    Every game is a sellout and the new stand when complete will add another 5000
    I think with the right recruitment and who wouldn’t want to sign for Wrexham they’ll gain promotion again next season
    I’m betting the bookies will have them installed as promotion favourites already
    What other club in the lower leagues will have as much media attention- none

What a thrill to be a Wrexham fan 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️

Given his lack of effort in the World Cup, you're wrong if you think he has pace anymore.

He's shot, which is why he went to MLS, looking for an easy ride. Barely able to last more than 30 minutes in games, if at all.
    It's not about pace, it's intelligence, positioning, awareness etc that players at that level don't have

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I think it may happen but if he did choose that route over helping his home club out then I’d be very disappointed.
    I sometimes wonder how close we actually came to signing him, it's even more annoying considering the LA move didn't work for Wales at all

Well if he does sign for them hopefully he will be completely shagged out after a season or so before he gets the chance to take the piss out of his local team

I sometimes wonder how close we actually came to signing him, it's even more annoying considering the LA move didn't work for Wales at all
    It was all cobblers

It's not about pace, it's intelligence, positioning, awareness etc that players at that level don't have
    Well, that intelligence, positioning, awareness really helped in MLS.

He shot himself in the foot with his actions at Real; taken years off his career.

TV Series
    Movie 🎥
    Shirt sales
    Endorsements
    Ticket sales
    Private sponsorships
    Advertising
    TV rights
    Wages
    There’s millions 💷 of reasons Gareth may be tempted……..?

Thanks for posting that Lardy 👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’d be a bit disappointed too. In terms of lifestyle, raising his family and a relaxed end to his career, I get choosing LA over Cardiff.

This would sting a bit though if he joins the Hollywood PR stunt on a whim after (apparently) considering us and turning us down.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I’d be a bit disappointed too. In terms of lifestyle, raising his family and a relaxed end to his career, I get choosing LA over Cardiff.

This would sting a bit though if he joins the Hollywood PR stunt on a whim after (apparently) considering us and turning us down.
    Sadly, it's looking more and more the case that Real fans were right about him all along.

Well, that intelligence, positioning, awareness really helped in MLS.

He shot himself in the foot with his actions at Real; taken years off his career.
    Scored the equaliser that helped them win the league didn't he? He clearly wasn't fit but from what I saw was clearly a cut above the rest.

We're talking about a guy who was one of the best of his generation, a genuinely world class player who Ronaldo put in his best XI the other day, a halfway fit Bale rips apart League 2. His last season where he was fit saw him get 11 goals and 2 assists in 20 PL appearances (he did that in 920 minutes!)

I can't see any of this happening, it would make a mockery of the whole thing and possibly even his career to a certain extent, but the idea that he wouldn't run the show in League 2 is preposterous. The LA move was terrible, he ended up at a club having not really had a pre-season off the back of not really playing for a year and suffered badly from it.

It’s really not about his playing ability anymore
    If he did sign for Wrexham it would probably be the biggest story in World football
    The impact one player would have on the club/town/country would be stratospheric
    The players interested in being part of this journey would be huge
    Apart from the rise and fall of the jacks in consecutive seasons I can’t think of another footballing story potentially so huge in my lifetime 🫶

It’s really not about his playing ability anymore
    If he did sign for Wrexham it would probably be the biggest story in World football
    The impact one player would have on the club/town/country would be stratospheric
    The players interested in being part of this journey would be huge
    Apart from the rise and fall of the jacks in consecutive seasons I can’t think of another footballing story potentially so huge in my lifetime 🫶
    No it wouldn't

The country? How would Bale playing for Wrexham impact people in Newport, Cardiff, Swansea, Merthyr etc?

If anything I think he's more likely to invest in the club, rather than play.

You’ve got to explain to people when you go away where you’re from
    Happens to us all the time
    They usually say “Oh you’re English”
    I know we’re in the twenty first century but we’re still a tiny country in comparison to our next door neighbour
    Not everyone knows where little old Wales is on the World map 🗺️

Tourists are already flocking to North wales solely because of the Wrexham story
    People want to buy into it and experience the atmosphere and hype for themselves

Naturally tourists will want to see what else our great country has to offer and tourism from this Wrexham story will filter down South.

In any case we down South get everything so I wouldn’t be jealous of tourist revenue going up North to our gogg cousins

It’s the bigger picture

I know we’re in the twenty first century but we’re still a tiny country in comparison to our next door neighbour

Tourists are already flocking to North wales solely because of the Wrexham story
    People want to buy into it and experience the atmosphere and hype for themselves

Naturally tourists will want to see what else our great country has to offer and tourism from this Wrexham story will filter down South.

In any case we down South get everything so I wouldn’t be jealous of tourist revenue going up North to our gogg cousins

It’s the bigger picture
    Gareth Bale won the Champions League, Copa del Rey, La Liga, took us to 2 Euros' and a World Cup. I imagine all that has a larger impact on our global standing than him being involved in a League 2 club

It’s the bigger picture
    Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world and Bale was a huge part of one of their most successful periods winning everything available to them. He was playing along some of the best players on the planet.

The Wrexham documentary’s biggest audience by far is America. Real Madrid’s influence is global and much longer lasting.

Also your logic about making people aware of Wales doesn’t make sense. People watching the documentary without knowing about Bale already know about Wales. People that know who Bale is without following Wrexham also know about Wales.