+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transfer deals during the Warnock era

Re: Transfer deals during the Warnock era

Ain’t nobody gonna read all that Bob. That’s longer than your blog ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ain’t nobody gonna read all that Bob. That’s longer than your blog ffs.
    I just did. Some interesting points, some I agreed with, some I didn’t.

As regards wages, I didn’t mention them in my opening post as I don’t have the necessary information to hand. However, I’m going to obtain the accounts for the last decade from Companies House at some point during the summer and will take a look then at how the wage bill has fluctuated. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do for months and I reckon it will be quite revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That was odd.

The received wisdom was that Bacuna was given a four and a half year contract (although as always the contract details were confidential). But that came from WOL ‘reporting’.

They didn’t cover themselves in glory explaining his exit either. One minute he had a year left. Then he didn’t.

Rather than him being paid off I think it is more likely the contract was always three and a half years with a club option to extend.

Too long and too expensive either way.
    In relation to Bacuna I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Unique Sports Management (now Unique Sports Group) connection

Basically - all Tan was interested in was the bottom line. Warnock got the club promoted in 18 months, earned the club 120,000,000 in the process and then 3 years of parachute payments of what ? - about 60,000,000 a year - or thereabouts.

How Warnock did it, who he signed, for how long and for how much, I dont think Tan gave 2 hoots about, as long as Warnock delivered promotion - his side of the deal of achieved. After that -it was (in retrospect) bad club management. But we are all a genius with the benefit of hindsight.

I spent a couple of hours on the train back from Blackpool with a blackpool season ticket holder - She burst out laughing when the subject of Gary Madine came up and his 3 year deal from Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Basically - all Tan was interested in was the bottom line. Warnock got the club promoted in 18 months, earned the club 120,000,000 in the process and then 3 years of parachute payments of what ? - about 60,000,000 a year - or thereabouts.

How Warnock did it, who he signed, for how long and for how much, I dont think Tan gave 2 hoots about, as long as Warnock delivered promotion - his side of the deal of achieved. After that -it was (in retrospect) bad club management. But we are all a genius with the benefit of hindsight.

I spent a couple of hours on the train back from Blackpool with a blackpool season ticket holder - She burst out laughing when the subject of Gary Madine came up and his 3 year deal from Warnock.
    It’s two years of parachute payments at around £40 million a year and, if you plan to be competitive in the Premier League after being promoted these days, you can bank on having to spend most of that £120 million on transfers and wages.

[QUOTE=The Lone Gunman;5416606]

But being as you've bothered, I've read your post again and have the following observations:

You said: "Josh Murphy and Alex Smithies were top end Championship players..."

What makes you believe that? Murphy had scored 7 goals in 34 (+7) Championship appearances for Norwich in 2017/18 - a season in which they finished 14th in the table. Meanwhile, Smithies had made 42 starts for a QPR team that finished 16th. Were either really top-end Championship players?QUOTE

Yes , their club positions at the time were irrelevant, Murphy had made 39 appearances for Norwich and had scored 9 goals from the wing, he was regarded as their best player and highly rated

Smithies played in every one of QPR’s games that season winning player of the season, he was also regarded as the clubs best player at the time so that’s what makes me believe they were top end Championship players

TOBW said as much in his post too, which you agreed with?

[QUOTE=Don Corleone;5416667]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

But being as you've bothered, I've read your post again and have the following observations:

You said: "Josh Murphy and Alex Smithies were top end Championship players..."

What makes you believe that? Murphy had scored 7 goals in 34 (+7) Championship appearances for Norwich in 2017/18 - a season in which they finished 14th in the table. Meanwhile, Smithies had made 42 starts for a QPR team that finished 16th. Were either really top-end Championship players?QUOTE

Yes , their club positions at the time were irrelevant, Murphy had made 39 appearances for Norwich and had scored 9 goals from the wing, he was regarded as their best player and highly rated

Smithies played in every one of QPR’s games that season winning player of the season, he was also regarded as the clubs best player at the time so that’s what makes me believe they were top end Championship players

A mate of mine is a QPR season ticket holder (and a former keeper himself) and rated Smithies when we bought him.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

I said Paul had made some interesting points in his lengthy post, some I agreed with and some I didn't.

Josh Murphy was not regarded as Norwich's best player in 2017/18. That was James Maddison, who scored 15 goals from midfield, was Norwich's player of the year and made the PFA's Championship team of the year for 2017/18.

Alex Smithies didn't play every game for QPR in 2017/18 - he made 42 (+1) league appearances. He didn't win their player of the year award that season - Massimo Luongo won it. Smithies came in third (Luke Freeman was second). I think he'd been their player of the year the previous season.

Both Murphy and Smithies were obviously decent players by Championship standards (at least back then), but top end? I don't agree.

Incidentally, Bobby Decordova-Reid was included in the PFA Championship team of the year in 2018/18 before City signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s two years of parachute payments at around £40 million a year and, if you plan to be competitive in the Premier League after being promoted these days, you can bank on having to spend most of that £120 million on transfers and wages.
    hey bob - in which case - what's all the fuss abut, Warnock got the club promoted, the club was paid a lot of money and the club spent a lot of money - sadly it didn't work out. Plenty of other clubs have done the same. So not entirely sure what is the point of the thread - other than semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I said Paul had made some interesting points in his lengthy post, some I agreed with and some I didn't.

Josh Murphy was not regarded as Norwich's best player in 2017/18. That was James Maddison, who scored 15 goals from midfield, was Norwich's player of the year and made the PFA's Championship team of the year for 2017/18.

Alex Smithies didn't play every game for QPR in 2017/18 - he made 42 (+1) league appearances. He didn't win their player of the year award that season - Massimo Luongo won it. Smithies came in third (Luke Freeman was second). I think he'd been their player of the year the previous season.

Both Murphy and Smithies were obviously decent players by Championship standards (at least back then), but top end? I don't agree.

Incidentally, Bobby Decordova-Reid was included in the PFA Championship team of the year in 2018/18 before City signed him.
    Well I disagree about your opinion of Murphy and Smithies from that time, but it’s subjective isn’t it. Point I was making was they were highly rated Championship players so you could see the logic of the signings. I can’t recall many people questioning them back then. Warnock definitely made some poor signings ( and Murphy proved a terrible investment) but the 4 signings after promotion had some semblance of making sense, unlike for example Madine and Bacuna, signings which I recall were met with a lot of puzzlement and questioning at the time. The ones after relegation also struck me as not having much of a plan behind them , we certainly wasted our parachute payments, no disagreement on that!

hey bob - in which case - what's all the fuss abut, Warnock got the club promoted, the club was paid a lot of money and the club spent a lot of money - sadly it didn't work out. Plenty of other clubs have done the same. So not entirely sure what is the point of the thread - other than semantics.
    The thing is though, ‘Plenty of other clubs have done the same’ doesn’t wash. Most fans don’t give a shite about other clubs. We’re up close and looking at the City, so even though we do discuss others on here, there’ll always be a fuss on here about our club.

So you are basically saying when things were going well it was all Warnock's doing but when things went badly it was the clubs fault.

There has been a ridiculous witch hunt aimed at Warnock destroying the club ever since he left.

He did a great job of getting us promoted and then a not very good job after that.

Lots of people don’t seem to want to see the whole picture for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    There has been a ridiculous witch hunt aimed at Warnock destroying the club ever since he left.

He did a great job of getting us promoted and then a not very good job after that.

Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

His role in the Sala affair may be souring his tenure for some, his association with McKay, the disqualified agent, isn’t one of his finest moments with us.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous offside decision against Chelsea we might have well stayed in the premier league.Hindsight is a wonderful thing to have.